The Move to Arlington Heights - Official Thread

beardown3231

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

They are like no public money for stadium!!!!

Then they whisper they want public money for entertainment district.

To be fair that makes business sense…the Bears being able to put on games as well as hold other events in the stadium is an income stream that won’t then be touched by anyone else and rocket the franchises value by billions…the entertainment, shops, pubs & restaurants around that only exists because of the stadium & team…public (and more importantly other private investors)money should then be used to take advantage of that.

14 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

To be fair that makes business sense…the Bears being able to put on games as well as hold other events in the stadium is an income stream that won’t then be touched by anyone else and rocket the franchises value by billions…the entertainment, shops, pubs & restaurants around that only exists because of the stadium & team…public (and more importantly other private investors)money should then be used to take advantage of that.

Point is it is all one property.  They just asked for public money for half of it.  They are playing a publicist shell game with the no public money for stadium thing.  They are still asking for it, just shifting focus to other half of property and away from stadium.   You still pay half, just the other half.  

Whether you think they deserve public money because of economic benefits derived is a different  argument. 

58 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Point is it is all one property.  They just asked for public money for half of it.  They are playing a publicist shell game with the no public money for stadium thing.  They are still asking for it, just shifting focus to other half of property and away from stadium.   You still pay half, just the other half.  

Whether you think they deserve public money because of economic benefits derived is a different  argument. 

Agreed. Also, there is going to be public funding whether people want it or not. The Bears aren’t owned by a bazillionaire like Stan Kroenke.

This article paints a really clear picture with how that public financing has been collected with other stadiums over the past 20 years. In most cases, what is felt by IL residents on a day-to-day basis is pretty negligible, and as a person who doesn’t reside in Cook County, my impact will probably be even less. The bigger debate usually coming down to, “If we can do this for a football stadium, why not do it to address (Public Issue X)?” 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

There's another meeting open to the public at a high school in the suburbs on Thursday

As someone who went through all this, with a much worse outcome, when it gets to this stage, everything has already been decided by the people who actually matter. The rest is just set dressing, to make everyone else feel like they matter.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

As someone who went through all this, with a much worse outcome, when it gets to this stage, everything has already been decided by the people who actually matter. The rest is just set dressing, to make everyone else feel like they matter.

Pretty much.  

Usually one or two clever hold outs who are going to need to be bought and then will have a sudden change of heart when their price is met.  

This is way politics works. 

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Maybe it’s different in the states but I know for the UK those public & private facilities never happen without the privately owned stadium being there…never saw anyone before the Bears want to invest around an old race course…when that stadium is built companies will be falling over themselves to be near it for the revenue it will create.

59 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Maybe it’s different in the states but I know for the UK those public & private facilities never happen without the privately owned stadium being there…never saw anyone before the Bears want to invest around an old race course…when that stadium is built companies will be falling over themselves to be near it for the revenue it will create.

It will bring value of everything within 50 miles up.

Including my house.

Doesn't mean I should pay to have it built.   But I can see why they would ask.  Because they can.  I would too if I were them.