The Move to Arlington Heights - Official Thread

beardown3231

10 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Not really. It'll just be a dome, just like Vegas and Minnesota. He even cited Minnesota's when talking about the importance of significant natural light

I thought he meant outdoor stadium at first look and I was shaking my head.  

No roof = madness. 

11 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

The Bears not playing in Soldier Field is like the Packers not in Lambeau Field, those places are iconic.  I hate, Hate, HATE this. 

In general, I was told that if a NFL team wants a new stadium it has to be a dome or retractable roof, any truth to this? 

I don't believe there is any rule that says it has to be a dome or retractable roof, bit nobody is going to build one without it.  The amount of money these stadiums cost, they must be able to be used 365 days a year.  The Bears didn't play in SF for the first 50 years of their existence and it was never meant to be a permanent home.  The team owning their own stadium has been the goal since Halas announced the Bears would play in SF while a new stadium of their own was built...in 1970.

29 minutes ago, blkwdw13 said:

Well there is nothing iconic about Soldier Field except your memories there, the stadium is garbage and the team has no control with it. The team needs better.

Saying their is nothing iconic about SF is disingenuous at best.  The stadium is an icon, but it being an icon doesn't change the fact that the Bears have no control, it's a pain in the *** to get to, it's the smallest stadium in the league, and it's not generating revenue for the team outside if GameDay.  

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Saying their is nothing iconic about SF is disingenuous at best.  The stadium is an icon, but it being an icon doesn't change the fact that the Bears have no control, it's a pain in the *** to get to, it's the smallest stadium in the league, and it's not generating revenue for the team outside if GameDay.  

Soldier Field only redeeming factor is that it is on the lake with the skyline right there.

1 hour ago, blkwdw13 said:

Well there is nothing iconic about Soldier Field except your memories there, the stadium is garbage and the team has no control with it. The team needs better.

This is not true at all.  You can say it's ran it's course but it's def an icon. The name and it's origins alone make it iconic.  Ask any casual fan to name any stadium and I guarantee at least half say Soldier Field off top.  Aside from the name it's one of the last stadiums to still have an original look and feel of an old school stadium.

2 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This is not true at all.  You can say it's ran it's course but it's def an icon. The name and it's origins alone make it iconic.  Ask any casual fan to name any stadium and I guarantee at least half say Soldier Field off top.  Aside from the name it's one of the last stadiums to still have an original look and feel of an old school stadium.

The first part is an opinion like mine was, the second part is not true at all it's part of the reason why it lost it's historical status. And I would say most casual fans know of Soldier Field because of the constant turf issues. The name wasn't even the first name of the stadium and I guess if being made as a sporting venue then every single stadium built is iconic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...