Ding dong the b*** is dead: Phillips to retire after 2022

beardown3231

Considering Virginia McCaskey's health, before I finished the title I was going to be real mad.  I think Ted Philips hasn't ever been very good, clearly he's been all about business and not about football.  Hopefully they can find someone to bridge the gap a bit. Winning is the biggest step to making money in sports.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Considering Virginia McCaskey's health, before I finished the title I was going to be real mad.  I think Ted Philips hasn't ever been very good, clearly he's been all about business and not about football.  Hopefully they can find someone to bridge the gap a bit. Winning is the biggest step to making money in sports.

The rumor for a while has been Trace Armstrong, which would be super interesting as he represents both our GM and HC

• Like 1

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

Potential in-house replacements may include senior vice president of marketing and communications Scott Hagel and senior vice president and legal counsel Cliff Stein. McCaskey said he would not identify possible candidates at this time.

Stein would be a funny choice because he's literally just a numbers guy, so it would be no different than Philips, probably.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Stein would be a funny choice because he's literally just a numbers guy, so it would be no different than Philips, probably.

He's probably top choice too. Hiring from within seems like a McCaskey move for sure (especially for a position like this). Apparently they're looking at outside candidates with a firm too but that might only be to say they 'tried' for diversity reasons.

14 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Good for Ted. Everyone should get to retire some day. With that said, and with due respect:

DO. NOT. REPLACE. HIM. WITH. GEORGE.

This is a rare opportunity to put a true “football person” in charge of the football operation. Don’t **** this up. 

I would actually consider not naming a team president, name a vp of business ops, change Poles title to vp of football ops.  They both report directly to George.  Then if the team does sell in the coming years the new owner can decide what type of structure he wants to use.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Good for Ted. Everyone should get to retire some day. With that said, and with due respect:

DO. NOT. REPLACE. HIM. WITH. GEORGE.

This is a rare opportunity to put a true “football person” in charge of the football operation. Don’t **** this up. 

I doubt George would demote himself. He runs this team. Virginia is owner only by name.

1 hour ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I doubt George would demote himself. He runs this team. Virginia is owner only by name.

Wouldn’t be a demotion so much as taking on a bigger, more involved role. Either way, we agree it’d be a bad idea. There should absolutely not be anything nepotistic about the hire IMO.

We talked about Rick Smith during the GM search. I would like him in a team president role too.