Ding dong the b*** is dead: Phillips to retire after 2022

beardown3231

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

Wouldn’t be a demotion so much as taking on a bigger, more involved role. Either way, we agree it’d be a bad idea. There should absolutely not be anything nepotistic about the hire IMO.

We talked about Rick Smith during the GM search. I would like him in a team president role too. 

please want GIF by MIC LOWRY

3 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

This was said as if it was some great accomplishment. SMH

The fact we survived it is though.

Ridiculous curveball that could only happen in CHI and HOU.  Poles promotes up, Eberflus becomes GM, and Getsy becomes HC. We finally get our offensive HC at least. Lol

4 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

The fact we survived it is though.

Ridiculous curveball that could only happen in CHI and HOU.  Poles promotes up, Eberflus becomes GM, and Getsy becomes HC. We finally get our offensive HC at least. Lol

Ha! Nothing at all about Flus’ personality suggests to me that he’d want to be an executive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The rumor for a while has been Trace Armstrong, which would be super interesting as he represents both our GM and HC

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Also if Phillips is announcing his retirement, the Bears are introducing concept of not just a stadium bit of the entire development project, that tells me the deal is about to close AND the project is about to kick into high gear.

Exactly the two points I was coming in to make…

Armstrong would make a ton of sense given his relationship with not only Poles & Flus but he also has some understanding of the McCaskey family and given we may be close to a big change there given Virginia’s health he would make sense…

Also wouldn’t shock me to see George lean on Bill Polian again and make a run at Tony Dungy who would be an excellent choice for the role as well…

In terms of the timing of this announcement it is a bit strange considering the plans for the new stadium will be out next Thursday…unless there will be a new point man on that project and they plan to introduce them at the press conference…Phillips stays on a president until Feb next year to pick his successor because you know George isn’t doing it without Phillips approval.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Exactly the two points I was coming in to make…

Armstrong would make a ton of sense given his relationship with not only Poles & Flus but he also has some understanding of the McCaskey family and given we may be close to a big change there given Virginia’s health he would make sense…

Also wouldn’t shock me to see George lean on Bill Polian again and make a run at Tony Dungy who would be an excellent choice for the role as well…

In terms of the timing of this announcement it is a bit strange considering the plans for the new stadium will be out next Thursday…unless there will be a new point man on that project and they plan to introduce them at the press conference…Phillips stays on a president until Feb next year to pick his successor because you know George isn’t doing it without Phillips approval.

Someone earlier said it, but I think dividing Phillips’ role into two positions (VP of Football Ops and VP of Business Ops) makes the most sense to me. Let one guy run just football. Let the other run everything else (cuz there’s a lot beyond just the team). 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...