2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Man, Jalen Carter is just insane

I was a big fan of Jeffery Simmons coming out because he not only had great athletic upside but was just so physical & powerful...Carter is that but turned up a notch in every aspect...he is an outstanding athlete and brings physicality that makes him look like a man playing amongst boys even against quality competition...for me he is even ahead of Will Anderson as the #1 player in this draft.

• Like 2

I was listening to The Athletics GM podcast and the guys there made a really interesting point about the TJ Hockensen trade in that the Vikings are already going to be paying Jefferson around $28 million a season pretty soon so using picks on other WRs would make it incredibly difficult to sign those guys if they too become quality players because of how valuable a position it now is whereas if you can get a TE who can give you a #2 or #3 option in the passing game then you can save a lot of money...

Got me thinking that if all goes well with us offensively and Fields continues to develop into the star he can be do we draft a WR high this year? Let's say Claypool plays well and opens up more for Mooney who also looks good...suddenly you have two good young WRs who you need to pay soon...if we are going to run this version of the offence with some more 12 personnel and a cross between the Packers/Ravens/other offence then why are we not looking more at TEs who can either complement/compete with/replace Cole Kmet and hopefully become that #2 or #3 option but cost you far less that what a WR would?...

I personally like the idea of a WR room of Claypool/Mooney/Harry/St Brown/Velus/Rookie...then Kmet/Rookie/Griffin/Wesco...

If Fields is what I think he is he elevates some guys and that we have a young, deep, big, talented group.

• Like 1

Coming into the season I felt there were 3 game changing pass rushers in this draft...Jalen Carter/Will Anderson/Myles Murphy...but the more I watch Tyree Wilson the more I think he has to be added to that group...he is just such an impactful game wrecker...against TCU he had 4 or 5 plays where he singlehandedly took over the play and giving him frame he still has a ton of upside...I also think letting him put his hand on the ground and just rushing rather than being a stand out OLB would take his game to the next level....I also think he is a more realistic target than the other three who I suspect are gone in the top 5 picks...I would look toward Wilson or trade right back and try and pick up a couple of these guys like grabbing Forskey/Anudike-Uzomah/Verse/Hall then following it up with another still fairly early...

Bottom line is I think between FA & the draft we need at least 4 new linemen who we are confident can at the very least strongly compete with what we have.

16 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Coming into the season I felt there were 3 game changing pass rushers in this draft...Jalen Carter/Will Anderson/Myles Murphy...but the more I watch Tyree Wilson the more I think he has to be added to that group...he is just such an impactful game wrecker...against TCU he had 4 or 5 plays where he singlehandedly took over the play and giving him frame he still has a ton of upside...I also think letting him put his hand on the ground and just rushing rather than being a stand out OLB would take his game to the next level....I also think he is a more realistic target than the other three who I suspect are gone in the top 5 picks...I would look toward Wilson or trade right back and try and pick up a couple of these guys like grabbing Forskey/Anudike-Uzomah/Verse/Hall then following it up with another still fairly early...

Bottom line is I think between FA & the draft we need at least 4 new linemen who we are confident can at the very least strongly compete with what we have.

I would love to get Payne and Jenkins as FA to start with. I think Gesicki would be a good 3rd target and we run him as a power slot with Kmet on the field and 2 other WR - really hammer 12 personnel with size. grab a WR in the 2/3 round, with another DL/OL in 1st and other 2/3 round

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I think the good news on that front is the DE group is real deep.

I think if we end up top 10 that DL is likely.

We need an impact player at DE and I think the only place that happens is in the 1st round.

Same could be said at DT, but the free agent class is deeper.

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I think if we end up top 10 that DL is likely.

We need an impact player at DE and I think the only place that happens is in the 1st round.

Same could be said at DT, but the free agent class is deeper.

I think we can either take one of the big 4...Carter/Murphy/Anderson/Wilson (hot take: In that order)

Or we trade down and get two DEs within the first 3 rounds including 1 later in round 1...

I agree there is better depth in FA at DT...we just need more talent out of that front 4 or this defence will continue to be dead in the water.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I think we can either take one of the big 4...Carter/Murphy/Anderson/Wilson (hot take: In that order)

Or we trade down and get two DEs within the first 3 rounds including 1 later in round 1...

I agree there is better depth in FA at DT...we just need more talent out of that front 4 or this defence will continue to be dead in the water.

I think it is important to address OL, LB and DT in free agency with plus starters. 

If we don’t land an OT… we likely need to draft one in round 1 or 2 and then DL would have to take a back seat.

I just don’t see real free agent options at DE

Just now, WindyCity said:

I think it is important to address OL, LB and DT in free agency with plus starters. 

If we don’t land an OT… we likely need to draft one in round 1 or 2 and then DL would have to take a back seat.

I just don’t see real free agent options at DE

DL IMO is a bigger need than OT right now. 

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Agreed, but OT is a high enough need that I wouldn't be at all upset if  we went for that in the first  round.

Like even if our first two picks where OT (or WR) and OC, I'd get it.  We just have a ton of holes to fill generally speaking.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

At this second yes.

But if we are talking about investing our 1st round pick… I would still put that towards Fields development and sign solid free agent DL over the other way around.

Why for me it is important to add at a plus free agent OT.

Give me Paris Johnson and Solid DL free agent over Tyree Wilson and a solid OT option. Fields need some legit talent around him.

Perfect world: give me Jack Conklin and Tyree Wilson.

Edited by WindyCity

On 11/8/2022 at 10:17 PM, WindyCity said:

At this second yes.

But if we are talking about investing our 1st round pick… I would still put that towards Fields development and sign solid free agent DL over the other way around.

Why for me it is important to add at a plus free agent OT.

Give me Paris Johnson and Solid DL free agent over Tyree Wilson and a solid OT option. Fields need some legit talent around him.

Perfect world: give me Jack Conklin and Tyree Wilson.

So much will change between now and April, but relevant to our needs the one thing that probably won’t is that there doesn’t appear to be much about to hit the FA market as far as top end edge rushers go. Because of that I’m inclined to see us get a top OT and DT in FA (Conklin or Wynn at OT and Payne at DT is my pipe dream) and then take an edge with our top pick. 

1 minute ago, AZBearsFan said:

So much will change between now and April, but relevant to our needs the one thing that probably won’t is that there doesn’t appear to be much about to hit the FA market as far as top end edge rushers go. Because of that I’m inclined to see us get a top OT and DT in FA (Conklin or Wynn at OT and Payne at DT is my pipe dream) and then take an edge with our top pick. 

DE is a wasteland in free agency.

Fix the OL in free agency and hit the defense in the draft.