2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

15 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Haven't really paid attention to this year's class yet, but there was a wr named Flowers that I was hoping to come out last year that stayed in school. Was a promising deep ball guy. 

Zay Flowers from BC? 10/117/2 yesterday against Rutgers. Like him too but, like a lot of the WRs in this class, he’s small (listed 5’10” 172 lb).

I think before we all lament that there may not be any super stud WR prospects in this draft we probably need to see where Mooney falls now that he’s the clear cut top dog here. Right now WR is at the top of everyone’s want list for 2023, but by January where WR falls on that list may be very different in either direction.

If Mooney looks like an actual WR1 in 2022 then what we need vs. want at WR for 2023 becomes drastically different IMO. If Pettis or Pringle were to prove a capable WR2 worth retaining in that role (not saying likely in any way, but not implausible) then even more so. Is Velus just a KR and gadget guy or is he a guy to be incorporated into the offense in a more consistent way, even if that’s a limited scope but useful role like how GB used MVS? Are we revamping the entire group, or supplementing what we’ve found that works well?

With so many unknowns in the group as a whole we don’t really know much of anything about what the need for the 2023 draft will be, and that’s before we even consider FA. If Mooney is indeed a dude and someone from the rest proves to be a viable WR2/3 then we might fill the immediate need with a WR2 type like Juju in FA and then it’s a later draft need instead of an early draft one. 

10 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think there are very few “#1s” in this upcoming class at receiver…lot of #2/3 who if they fit your scheme can help a lot but I hope we don’t force a WR in the 1st…

All the best talented scheduled to be free agents right now are on the defensive side of the ball.

Same. We have enough holes to fill. There's no need to reach for a WR just because we need one.

The athletic released a mock a few days ago that had the Bears taking Ringo at #4. At first I scoffed at the idea but after giving it a 2nd thought...I don't hate it. I don't care for Ringo at 4 and CB isn't at the top of my list, but a secondary with JJ, Gordon, FRP at boundary/NB with Brisker and Jackson would have a high potential of being one of the best secondaries in the league.

6 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I agree it’s early, coupled with the fact that the known top guys either played in non-competitive games (Addison), got hurt (JSN) or haven’t played yet at all (Boutte, who plays today).

I’m pretty intrigued by Jermaine Burton at Bama (xfer from Georgia) but their game wasn’t competitive yesterday either. I like Josh Downs at UNC but he’s listed at 5’10”. 

None of the top guys look worthy of a top-10 pick to me. Not even Boutte. Skill wise he's worth it but health is a concern. He's less than a year removed from a broken ankle that required 2 or 3 surgeries. It'll be interesting to see if he lost a step and if he can stay healthy this year.

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Same. We have enough holes to fill. There's no need to reach for a WR just because we need one.

The athletic released a mock a few days ago that had the Bears taking Ringo at #4. At first I scoffed at the idea but after giving it a 2nd thought...I don't hate it. I don't care for Ringo at 4 and CB isn't at the top of my list, but a secondary with JJ, Gordon, FRP at boundary/NB with Brisker and Jackson would have a high potential of being one of the best secondaries in the league.

I don't have an issue with adding talent at any high value position...no doubt adding yet more talent to the secondary would be a good move long term...

If we are going to be picking in the top 5 (which I believe we won't) but if we are we just need to hope Anthony Richardson can continue to look like a star...him, Young & Stroud would push down the likes of Will Anderson & Jalen Carter who would both be sensational picks or allows us to move back and pick up more capital. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Zay Flowers from BC? 10/117/2 yesterday against Rutgers. Like him too but, like a lot of the WRs in this class, he’s small (listed 5’10” 172 lb).

I think before we all lament that there may not be any super stud WR prospects in this draft we probably need to see where Mooney falls now that he’s the clear cut top dog here. Right now WR is at the top of everyone’s want list for 2023, but by January where WR falls on that list may be very different in either direction.

If Mooney looks like an actual WR1 in 2022 then what we need vs. want at WR for 2023 becomes drastically different IMO. If Pettis or Pringle were to prove a capable WR2 worth retaining in that role (not saying likely in any way, but not implausible) then even more so. Is Velus just a KR and gadget guy or is he a guy to be incorporated into the offense in a more consistent way, even if that’s a limited scope but useful role like how GB used MVS? Are we revamping the entire group, or supplementing what we’ve found that works well?

With so many unknowns in the group as a whole we don’t really know much of anything about what the need for the 2023 draft will be, and that’s before we even consider FA. If Mooney is indeed a dude and someone from the rest proves to be a viable WR2/3 then we might fill the immediate need with a WR2 type like Juju in FA and then it’s a later draft need instead of an early draft one. 

I agree if Mooney shows he can be a #1 then WR becomes less of a need, but we would still need a #2 and possibly #3.  WR would go from top priority down to high priority. 

4 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't have an issue with adding talent at any high value position...no doubt adding yet more talent to the secondary would be a good move long term...

If we are going to be picking in the top 5 (which I believe we won't) but if we are we just need to hope Anthony Richardson can continue to look like a star...him, Young & Stroud would push down the likes of Will Anderson & Jalen Carter who would both be sensational picks or allows us to move back and pick up more capital. 

I would love to move back and get two 1s in return. That could streamline the rebuilding process.

• Like 1

Just now, JAF-N72EX said:

I would love to move back and get two 1s in return. That could streamline the rebuilding process.

The more picks the better IMO...no such thing as a can't miss prospect so giving yourself the most opportunities to get it right just makes sense.

• Like 1

Couple of mid-round receiving prospects I like had huge opening days...

Xavier Hutchinson...Iowa State...8 rec, 128 yards, 3 TDs

Rashee Rice...SMU...8 rec, 166 yards, TD

I was also impressed with Rakim Jarrett's 6 receptions for 110 yards...his body type is a little like Velus Jones in that he is thick and almost looks like a RB...I like his RAC potential at the next level which is important for this scheme.

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Couple of mid-round receiving prospects I like had huge opening days...

Xavier Hutchinson...Iowa State...8 rec, 128 yards, 3 TDs

Rashee Rice...SMU...8 rec, 166 yards, TD

I was also impressed with Rakim Jarrett's 6 receptions for 110 yards...his body type is a little like Velus Jones in that he is thick and almost looks like a RB...I like his RAC potential at the next level which is important for this scheme.

I like Jarrett too. More of a possession receiver IMO but that's something we need.  6 foot but long arms and good hands and solid body control lets him play bigger than he is.

I wanna watch more of Jayden Reed. Didn't have the best showing but last year he showed potential. Could be a nice addition in mid rounds.

1 minute ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I like Jarrett too. More of a possession receiver IMO but that's something we need.  6 foot but long arms and good hands and solid body control lets him play bigger than he is.

I wanna watch more of Jayden Reed. Didn't have the best showing but last year he showed potential. Could be a nice addition in mid rounds.

Yeah Jarrett won't be a deep threat but with Mooney here he doesn't need to be...

Speaking of Mooney that is the type of player I could see Reed developing into...not overly physical but fast and will compete on jump balls...I think if we could get him in the mid rounds that would be a nice pick up...I like a lot of these guys as mid round picks...just not many 1st rounders IMO.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I really liked what I saw from Chris Smith at Georgia yesterday. He could be a nice pick in round 2 or 3 to complement Brisker & replace that bag of crap Eddie Jackson. He's around the ball and not afraid to lay a big hit

Speaking of Safeties...one of my favourite combo guy is playing tonight...Akeem Dent is a guy with a similar athletic profile as Brisker...good range...can hit...could be a nice compliment...Jammie Robinson also playing for FSU is another guy I want to see more of.