2023 NFL Draft Prospects

Madmike90

Let’s say the odds for Jalen Carter are totally split: 50% chance he’s a phenom in the nfl at DT or a 50% chance he’s what we’re worried about and busts. With these odds, where in the draft would you chance drafting him? What do those odds need to be adjusted to for you to take him at 9, or sometime in the 1st?

This is most definitely NOT the main running back we should look into..... but I'm liking what I see out of Keaton Mitchell (East Carolina University)

"There may be no back in the country more difficult to touch in space than Mitchell. He’s got the best combination of quicks and speed in the draft class. He earned an absurd 93.3 rushing grade this past season because he was ripping off big runs left and right. Twenty-nine of his 179 carries went for 15-plus yards, and he averaged 7.4 yards per carry. "

via PFF  https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-draft-top-10-running-back-rankings

He's also 5ft 9 and 185 lbs.... but as a depth "weapon" type guy I like the upside (4.37 in the 40, with the fastest 10 yard split of 1.48... 3rd best vert of 38", 2nd best broad jump at 10'6")

Could be worth a look later on in the draft in the same mold we used Cohen. We'd just need a more stout "main" guy to pair with Herbert.

obligatory highlight reel

Edited by Epyon

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

Let’s say the odds for Jalen Carter are totally split: 50% chance he’s a phenom in the nfl at DT or a 50% chance he’s what we’re worried about and busts. With these odds, where in the draft would you chance drafting him? What do those odds need to be adjusted to for you to take him at 9, or sometime in the 1st?

Depends on how the interview goes. If he comes in for the private workout in shape and is able to talk out some of the concerns I could still take him at 9, but if I start getting some red flags then he may be off the board pretty much entirely.

His legal concerns would need to be looked into as well. I have only really read anything about it when posted here since I'm not too interested/invested.

3T kind of scares me in the draft tbh

Carter has all sorts of issues

Kancey keeps getting these Aaron Donald comps, but really though...... being undersized and quick isn't why AD is AD.... he was also gorilla strong and had great hand usage.... Kancey doesn't

Then there's the idea of the Northwestern kid (im not trying to type his name off memory) who isn't even a 3T and would be just getting thrown in there because he's an athlete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

Kancey keeps getting these Aaron Donald comps, but really though...... being undersized and quick isn't why AD is AD.... he was also gorilla strong and had great hand usage.... Kancey doesn't

Then there's the idea of the Northwestern kid (im not trying to type his name off memory) who isn't even a 3T and would be just getting thrown in there because he's an athlete

For what's allegedly "the engine to Eberflus' defense" they sure are being very particular about finding the perfect one through two offseasons

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Epyon said:

I don't know how Carter could have screwed up this offseason any more for himself.

A lot of people like Kancey as next best, but that he is undersized is worriesome.  He out quicks the OL most of time.  where Donald could out power or out quick them.   I worry about him holding up against run.   

I probably would go Bryan Breese as my next guy based on traits.  

If it was me I would be looking at Adetomiwa Adebawore as an edge who can play inside on passing downs.  Why am I putting a 4.4 DL inside to fight in a phone booth?   But Bears are reportedly looking at him as a 3.

Nobody talks about the 1.   But the 1 is important.  Vital.  It keeps guys off the Mike and clogs the IZ and OZ cut backs.   Ted Washington was Urlachers best friend.   

I really want a very, very large athletic man added this offseason at some point.

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I don't know how Carter could have screwed up this offseason any more for himself.

A lot of people like Kancey as next best, but that he is undersized is worriesome.  He out quicks the OL most of time.  where Donald could out power or out quick them.   I worry about him holding up against run.   

If it was me I would be looking at Adetomiwa Adebawore as an edge who can play inside on passing downs.  Why am I putting a 4.4 DL inside to fight in a phone booth?   But Bears are reportedly looking at him as a 3.

Nobody talks about the 1.   But the 1 is important.  Vital.  It keeps guys off the Mike and clogs the IZ and OZ cut backs.   Ted Washington was Urlachers best friend.   

I really want a very, very large athletic man added this offseason at some point.

Siaki Ika could be that guy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Part of the reason I've been mocking Mazi Smith all offseason. He's a tank with plus athleticism, he could be a monster in time at the 1.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Part of the reason I've been mocking Mazi Smith all offseason. He's a tank with plus athleticism, he could be a monster in time at the 1.

Eberflus preaches “motor and mean” for his defensive players, which you know he has after getting a felony charge while driving a vehicle. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Epyon said:

This is most definitely NOT the main running back we should look into..... but I'm liking what I see out of Keaton Mitchell (East Carolina University)

"There may be no back in the country more difficult to touch in space than Mitchell. He’s got the best combination of quicks and speed in the draft class. He earned an absurd 93.3 rushing grade this past season because he was ripping off big runs left and right. Twenty-nine of his 179 carries went for 15-plus yards, and he averaged 7.4 yards per carry. "

via PFF  https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-draft-top-10-running-back-rankings

He's also 5ft 9 and 185 lbs.... but as a depth "weapon" type guy I like the upside (4.37 in the 40, with the fastest 10 yard split of 1.48... 3rd best vert of 38", 2nd best broad jump at 10'6")

Could be worth a look later on in the draft in the same mold we used Cohen. We'd just need a more stout "main" guy to pair with Herbert.

obligatory highlight reel

Human joystick. Could possibly bust open the receiving back role for us. 

I think we have to embrace the possibility that Carter’s downfall has been a calculated, scripted event by Poles and Carter. It’s entirely possible Carter is dead set on being a bear and knows poles end game is to pick at the bottom of the first, so he’s doing whatever he has to do to ensure he gets to us there and then he’ll clean up his pretend act. 

42 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Im all over Keeanu Benton, as I think he can mainly be a 1 in this scheme, but could also provide some pass rush with coaching, and has a bit of versatility, which seems to be very important for what they are looking for

• Like 2