Week 1 Prospect Talk

rackcs

8 hours ago, lark25 said:

I also don't get LB1 talk. Hes a bit like Leo Chenal, except Chenal is an athletic freak and Sewell is only pretty good, doesn't seem to have great length. Wouldn't be surprised if he's a 3rd or 4th rounder following combine. I had Chenal as easily a 2nd Rd pick, but man LB was deep last year

I wasn't a huge Chenal fan, didn't think he had good instincts despite the athleticism.

12 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Noah Sewell didn't really impress me today.  I didn't see the entire game though.

Did I miss something with him today?

He didn’t show up at all. Wasn’t hitting gaps, wasn’t playing well in coverage and had no impact on the game. I will need to go back and watch and focus more on how Georgia schemed him out. They did it with Hutchinson and they did it against Will Anderson for the most part in the playoffs/NC games last year.

This was what Kirby said about Sewell pregame.

“When you have a really good, instinctive linebacker, it’s hard to contain him,” Smart said of Sewell. “Every play, a different guy could be blocking him. I think the biggest thing you have to do is be able to throw changeups at him, whether it’s going with pace, playing physical and downhill at him. Misdirection.

“The defense is built around him to make tackles, (and) you can’t let him beat you and let him define things.

“You’ve got to do things kind of on your own terms, and I think offensively, we’ve got a good plan together to at least neutralize the fact that he’s a tremendous hitter and a striker and really physical.”

35 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

He didn’t show up at all. Wasn’t hitting gaps, wasn’t playing well in coverage and had no impact on the game. I will need to go back and watch and focus more on how Georgia schemed him out. They did it with Hutchinson and they did it against Will Anderson for the most part in the playoffs/NC games last year.

This was what Kirby said about Sewell pregame.

“When you have a really good, instinctive linebacker, it’s hard to contain him,” Smart said of Sewell. “Every play, a different guy could be blocking him. I think the biggest thing you have to do is be able to throw changeups at him, whether it’s going with pace, playing physical and downhill at him. Misdirection.

“The defense is built around him to make tackles, (and) you can’t let him beat you and let him define things.

“You’ve got to do things kind of on your own terms, and I think offensively, we’ve got a good plan together to at least neutralize the fact that he’s a tremendous hitter and a striker and really physical.”

Yeah it was like Noah was not even out there, but few on the DL did much and most of the DBs on Oregon were simply not very good at all.  That quick screen game and quick passing totally destroyed that Oregon D but that Oregon D was not great to start with.  Not a good start for him that is for sure.

I still say that Georgia D is not going to be nearly as good as last year.  They played well and Starks is going to be a super star but that DL is not nearly as good as last year and same with the LBs.  They played well against Oregon but that is a new coaching staff, new QB and a team with awful WRs so there was never a threat of any big play of any kind down field.  Georgia will be lead by that offense this year unlike last year, that passing game is going to be hell to deal with having all those TEs and how they use the backs in the passing game is also very hard to handle.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

Most of his opinions are/were dopey but Vans was right about one thing, Anthony Richardson is definitely the most talented QB in college

Its just one game, but yeah from that one game he looks like one of the most improved players in the country.  Far more calm and under control out there, knew what he was doing and was pretty unstoppable. Still most of his success is because of his running ability, has a cannon but who cares if the ball is not completed.  Looked great though for game 1 no question.  Then again that Utah D lost Devin Lloyd who is a tackling machine and Nephi Sewell Noah's brother and Mike Tafua who had 9.5 sacks.  So the Utah D was pretty weak especially at LB so that helped Florida greatly being able to run all over them, will see how he looks against a team with actual linebackers.

Still if Utah did not blow it on the goal line early in the 3rd that one drive they would have won that game.

I really enjoyed watching Raheim Sanders play

Looked like he had some pretty good speed, can run in between the tackles, Has enough speed to bounce it on the outside, looks to be able to make atleast one person miss and seems to always fall forward as well also looks like he has some pass catching ability. With that said it doesnt even seem like he might be the best RB on that team Rashod Dubinion looked really good running the ball in his limited amount of carries

Darnell Washington is my prospect crush already

23 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I really enjoyed watching Raheim Sanders play

Looked like he had some pretty good speed, can run in between the tackles, Has enough speed to bounce it on the outside, looks to be able to make atleast one person miss and seems to always fall forward as well also looks like he has some pass catching ability. With that said it doesnt even seem like he might be the best RB on that team Rashod Dubinion looked really good running the ball in his limited amount of carries

Darnell Washington is my prospect crush already

I was surprised Dominique Johnson did not get any carries, is he injured?  But yeah Raheim looked good and helps having that experienced solid OL as well as a tank of a QB running the ball also.  

Darnell Washington is a freak show no question, has always been, just as a blocker he is very interesting but if he is a pass catcher also he should be at worst a 2nd round pick if not higher.  Brant Kuithe on Utah is an absolute super star TE with elite athletic ability and route running, also is a nasty blocker when he wants to be.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I was surprised Dominique Johnson did not get any carries, is he injured?  But yeah Raheim looked good and helps having that experienced solid OL as well as a tank of a QB running the ball also.  

Darnell Washington is a freak show no question, has always been, just as a blocker he is very interesting but if he is a pass catcher also he should be at worst a 2nd round pick if not higher.  Brant Kuithe on Utah is an absolute super star TE with elite athletic ability and route running, also is a nasty blocker when he wants to be.  

Kuithe was that Utah offense. Really impressive. Blocking/receiving…dude is exceptional 

24 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Im not too sure about the bolded

As for Washington I’m interested in watching him as a pass catcher and route runner, he had 1 drop that I saw yesterday that hit him right in the mitts but there was an Oregon defender right there to “scare” him so to speak, regardless you would still like to see him make that catch. Had a nice catch and run that lead to him burdening a would be Oregon DB that had no interest in actually trying to tackle him. Seems to be a good blocker but again would need to see more of him. 

8 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Kuithe is also tiny for a TE. Don’t see much NFL potential there. 

Oh wow, I did not know he was 6-2 220.  Dude plays way bigger than that in college, how the hell can a guy that small block that well?  I guess that is a big negative for sure, guess that explains his great route running also.  Still looking at him play he seems to be at least 6-3 235 at minimum.  Some of the blocks he put on against Ohio State last year and against Oregon were very impressive for a dude that size.  

Still the dude is tough, great after the catch, can easily take contact and move forward and can get open from the TE spot.  Can block for the position no question, I would be shocked if he is some awful player in the NFL, more like he is one hell of a matchup problem in the NFL.  

16 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Oh wow, I did not know he was 6-2 220.  Dude plays way bigger than that in college, how the hell can a guy that small block that well?  I guess that is a big negative for sure, guess that explains his great route running also.  Still looking at him play he seems to be at least 6-3 235 at minimum.  Some of the blocks he put on against Ohio State last year and against Oregon were very impressive for a dude that size.  

Still the dude is tough, great after the catch, can easily take contact and move forward and can get open from the TE spot.  Can block for the position no question, I would be shocked if he is some awful player in the NFL, more like he is one hell of a matchup problem in the NFL.  

He can play but he won’t do anything in the NFL IMO. We will see. 

34 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

He is a tweener, no doubt. But he’s a pretty talented guy. He can make a good living as an H-back/slot TE/WR. Really good blocker with underrated athleticism. He won’t be drafted in the 1st-2nd…but he can definitely help his future NFL employer. 

2 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

Purely depends on how you are going to use your TEs...he is never going to be an inline guys at the next level but in a scheme with an "F" TE he would be a QBs best friend...understands route running, leverage and spacing to just site down in the soft spot of any zone defence...we have seen smaller guys used in the same way like Delanie Walker who had a lot of good years and even in recent history Kylen Granson who is around the same size taken in the 4th round...I think Kuithe goes earlier than than.

12 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Purely depends on how you are going to use your TEs...he is never going to be an inline guys at the next level but in a scheme with an "F" TE he would be a QBs best friend...understands route running, leverage and spacing to just site down in the soft spot of any zone defence...we have seen smaller guys used in the same way like Delanie Walker who had a lot of good years and even in recent history Kylen Granson who is around the same size taken in the 4th round...I think Kuithe goes earlier than than.

I agree, especially for a team that uses multiple TEs sets or HB types with a TE also.  But Kuithe can block and blocks well, it is just surprising because looking at the guy I would not say he is 6-2 219 at all.  He seems well put together, a little light but he can do what is asked of him and he makes big plays.  Everyone knows the ball is going to him and have for years, he has been the leading receiver for Utah 2 of the last 3 years and the year he was not Covey was just by a bit and that was the COVID year and they only played 5 games.  And honestly he has never played with a great WR outside of Covey and really Covey is not a great WR, so he has never honestly played with a great WR so everyone knows he is getting the football and they cannot seem to stop him.  

usatsi_18984096.jpg

Still if he plays with that much passion, is that hard to bring down after the catch and blocks that aggressively, not sure I care much about his size.  It is a surprise to me, I would have thought he was 6-4 or 6-5 and 230-240 pounds watching him play.  

• Like 1