Week 1 Prospect Talk

rackcs

On 9/4/2022 at 11:08 AM, Ozzy said:

I was surprised Dominique Johnson did not get any carries, is he injured?  But yeah Raheim looked good and helps having that experienced solid OL as well as a tank of a QB running the ball also.  

Johnson tore his ACL against Penn State in the bowl game and just got back to practicing last week. He might be back against South Carolina this weekend but idk how many carries he'll get.

34 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Maybe but I’ve been high on many of the guys who play for McVay that would fit this

https://utahutes.com/sports/football/roster/brant-kuithe/13201

Over the years this is his bio on the Utah website.  

2018: 6-2 225
2019: 6-2 235
2020: 6-2 230
2021: 6-2 230
2022: 6-2 219

Seems kind of odd, but of course if he was 235 and could get up to 240 or 245 and still be able to move like he does, not sure his size would be much of an issue as long as he can block and run such good routes for the position.  In 2019 when he was his heaviest according to this, he had almost the most yards of any year and had most yards per catch at 17.7 and tied for most TDs at 6.   Does seem odd him moving down in weight but maybe it was to improve his conditioning, either way he ripped Florida apart and dominated in that game.  

46 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Maybe but I’ve been high on many of the guys who play for McVay that would fit this

What McVay gets is that you can use those bunch formations and tight splits to make it easier for a slot WR/TE tweener to contribute as both a blocker and receiver. Kuithe feels like a better version of Ben Skowronek.

15 hours ago, Ozzy said:

https://utahutes.com/sports/football/roster/brant-kuithe/13201

Over the years this is his bio on the Utah website.  

2018: 6-2 225
2019: 6-2 235
2020: 6-2 230
2021: 6-2 230
2022: 6-2 219

Seems kind of odd, but of course if he was 235 and could get up to 240 or 245 and still be able to move like he does, not sure his size would be much of an issue as long as he can block and run such good routes for the position.  In 2019 when he was his heaviest according to this, he had almost the most yards of any year and had most yards per catch at 17.7 and tied for most TDs at 6.   Does seem odd him moving down in weight but maybe it was to improve his conditioning, either way he ripped Florida apart and dominated in that game.  

I don't know if his size is that big an issue.  I think adding 5-10 lbs is easy for most of these guys, and if you have a guy who's 6'2" and 225 as a WR, that's huge.

He's not a big TE, but you wouldn't be drafting a 6'3" 235 TE for blocking either.  That's how big Chig Okonkwo is, and he had plenty of fans.  That's not that much bigger than Kuithe.

12 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I don't know if his size is that big an issue.  I think adding 5-10 lbs is easy for most of these guys, and if you have a guy who's 6'2" and 225 as a WR, that's huge.

He's not a big TE, but you wouldn't be drafting a 6'3" 235 TE for blocking either.  That's how big Chig Okonkwo is, and he had plenty of fans.  That's not that much bigger than Kuithe.

I agree, and yes adding pounds for most is not a problem, and if he does indeed play WR he could be successful there as well and would be a top of the line blocker for a WR. 

Kuithe is really an outstanding blocking when he is in motion and pulled across the formation, as a HB lead blocker type he is very good on the move.  And as a route runner he is not that far off from a true WR and does play out wide at times for Utah.  He is a damn matchup problem because he can do so many things and they move him around and no reason why he could not do similar things in the NFL.  

The 4:24 mark he is out wide and makes a nice play with very solid route running.  Then the 5:38 mark he pulls around as a blocker and does very well.  The 6 minute mark helps show his power and aggressiveness as a blocker driving the defender.  Then the 9:30 mark he does very well blocking on the edge and moving, sure at times they are DBs he is up against but still he is an aggressive blocker no question.

• Like 1

Not sure if they were mentioned Lonnie Phelps (formerly Miami Ohio) and Jacob Windmon (formerly UNLV) two undersized transfers had great games for Kansas and Michigan State. It’s always fun to see how the transfers do on bigger stages. 3 and 4 sacks both looked good getting after it.