Playoff Predictions

vike daddy

After the conclusion of Week 12, the Minnesota Vikings sit at 9=2 atop the NFC North and in the NFC’s No. 2 seed. While the Vikings position in the NFC has remained steady, the conference around them is continuously shifting. Because of that, the current NFC playoff picture suggests that the Vikings have a new Wild Card matchup for the third time in as many weeks.

Ahead of Week 13’s action, the Vikings are slated to take on the Washington Commanders in U.S. Bank Stadium in the NFC Wild Card round. The Commanders are currently 7-5 sitting in the seventh seed in the NFC.

https://purpleptsd.com/2022/vikings/top_news/vikings-new-wild-card-matchup/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The Vikings likely first round opponent will be either the Giants, Commanders, or Seahawks.  

It's likely that the Cowboys will sow up the #5 seed (unless they fall apart) and play the AFC South winner, who will be the #4 seed.  The 49ers likely will be the 3 seed and will face whoever the Vikings don't get.  The Seahawks already beat the Giants, so they'd get the higher seed over the Giants if the Commanders are out and they tie the Giants in record.  I'm sure they'd like a third crack at the Niners.  

Barring an upset of the 49ers, then they'd get to face the 49ers at home in the divisional round once again should they win their first round game.

Edited by swede700

The Minnesota Vikings have made the NFC Championship game four times over the last 25 years and this season has things trending in that direction once again. Pair that with the tremendous camaraderie that the team currently has and things are looking great.

Head coach Kevin O’Connell took that to another level on his appearance on Pardon My Take by promising to hit the Griddy with the team if they make the NFC Championship Game.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2022/12/01/vikings-kevin-oconnell-griddy-justin-jefferson/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2UuF2LdBxeQ01G0xDiOfCb-7BmRKAJ3YZtiYV4rtToWg6cKpILFOw2iiQ

Here’s how the playoff picture looks heading into Sunday’s games.

CURRENTLY IN

1. Eagles (10-1) Best record in football.
2. Vikings (9-2) A two-game lead for the No. 2 seed.
3. 49ers (7-4) A one-game lead in the NFC West.
4. Buccaneers (5-6) Someone has to win the terrible NFC South.
5. Cowboys (8-3) Playing great, but it won’t be easy to catch the Eagles.
6. Giants (7-4) Need to reverse their slide on Sunday.
7. Commanders (7-5) Taylor Heinicke stepping in for Carson Wentz has turned the season around.

OUTSIDE LOOKING IN

8. Seahawks (6-5) Geno Smith‘s big season could get them into the playoffs.
9. Falcons (5-7) Still in contention in the NFC South.
10. Lions (4-7) Surprisingly not out of it.
11. Packers (4-8) Green Bay owns the strength of victory tiebreaker over Carolina and the conference record tiebreaker over Arizona.
12. Cardinals (4-8) Arizona owns the head-to-head tiebreaker over Carolina.
13. Panthers (4-8) Carolina owns the head-to-head tiebreaker over New Orleans.
14. Saints (4-8) Could still make some noise in the NFC South with a win over the Buccaneers on Monday night.

NO CHANCE OF GETTING IN

15. Rams (3-8) Worst defending Super Bowl champions ever.
16. Bears (3-9) Worst record in the NFC.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/02/week-13-nfl-playoff-picture-commanders-giants-has-big-nfc-postseason-implications/

Im going to make a pretty bold prediction...the Vikes will make the playoffs!

I just have a gut feeling that we'll find a way to make it in with a 4th quarter push and then a hope and a prayer that we dont squander it away. We'll somehow intercept a team like the Packers on their last push and clinch the victory from the jaws of defeat at the very end. Good stuff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Seattle moves ahead of WASH for the NFC 7th seed.

Detroit is in 9th, good for them!

And to think a few weeks ago some thought that Dan Campbell should be on the hot seat.  

With Brock Purdy now leading the 49ers for the rest of the season, that will put a chink in their armor, but they are still going to be a significantly tough out, because Shanahan is going to try his best to not put him in a position to fail.  With that happening however, I feel far more comfortable that the Vikings will be able to hold the #2 seed.  I think the 49ers will still be able to hold off Seattle for the division title, but that road is going to be a lot tougher for them.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

And to think a few weeks ago some thought that Dan Campbell should be on the hot seat.  

With Brock Purdy now leading the 49ers for the rest of the season, that will put a chink in their armor, but they are still going to be a significantly tough out, because Shanahan is going to try his best to not put him in a position to fail.  With that happening however, I feel far more comfortable that the Vikings will be able to hold the #2 seed.  I think the 49ers will still be able to hold off Seattle for the division title, but that road is going to be a lot tougher for them.  

I'm not sure that the 49'ers will when their division.  Seattle is playing inspired ball, and Geno Smith is better than Trey Lance, Jimmy Garoppolo and Brock Purdy, which is a sentence I never thought I would write at the beginning of the season!  Their defense is getting better and healthier and their CB Woolen is the real deal.  I also believe that Pete Carroll is a better HC than Kyle Shanahan.  I think San Fran is a Wild Card.

Edited by Captain Relax
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

I'm not sure that the 49'ers will when their division.  Seattle is playing inspired ball, and Geno Smith is better than Trey Lance, Jimmy Garoppolo and Brock Purdy, which is a sentence I never thought I would write at the beginning of the season!  Their defense is getting better and healthier and their CB Woolen is the real deal.  I also believe that Pete Carroll is a better HC than Kyle Shanahan.  I think San Fran is a Wild Card.

Do we see them at the Bank for the a wildcard game? If so, are we as worried about them without Jimmy G?