Playoff Predictions

vike daddy

With news out of Philly, I hope we get to watch Minshew Mania full tilt, but I want them to lose their last 3.  That's unlikely though, especially with getting Goddert back. 

The Vikings have a history of failing to maintain a hold on high playoff slots and this year, I'm a firm believer, this team needs to win out -- not to keep #2 but to show the league they are now taking what they want.   I believe the Vikes lose the tie breaker with the 49ers, and playing that team in San Fran would be bad, very bad.   The other part I like is Dallas could beat the #4 seed and then Philly.

If that happened, and the Vikes beat the Lions, yes those Lions, and the 49ers at US Bank stadium, the Vikes get the honor of hosting the NFC championship game.   

I absolutely believe this team can hold opponents to FGs and score with anyone, so yes, I would pick the Vikes to represent in the SB.

Is all of this wishful thinking?  Maybe.  For a chance to get there, this team has an under-the-radar element . . . No one sees these guys coming yet, they've won 11 games . . . Why not 16?

• Like 2

The Vikings ownership opened the glass palace, U.S. Bank Stadium, in 2016. And in six seasons, the franchise has played just one playoff game in the building, a depressing statistic because the team is quite good at home. In fact, since the joint opened, Minnesota owns the NFL’s fourth-best homefield advantage, with a 39-18 (.684) cumulative record at U.S. Bank Stadium.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/general-news/something-lost-shuffle?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

The Vikings ownership opened the glass palace, U.S. Bank Stadium, in 2016. And in six seasons, the franchise has played just one playoff game in the building, a depressing statistic because the team is quite good at home. In fact, since the joint opened, Minnesota owns the NFL’s fourth-best homefield advantage, with a 39-18 (.684) cumulative record at U.S. Bank Stadium.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2022/general-news/something-lost-shuffle?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Thanks Zimmer and Spielman. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

the 49ers still have the possibility to pass us and take the #2 seed, securing home games unless they would face PHI at #1.

but apparently there is discussion internally as to whether they should play back and accept #3, so not to incur injuries....

As the Vikings go, I would hope they'd take that route (as I'm assuming you're talking about from the perspective of the 49ers), because I'd rather have the home game in the 2nd rd (should they win) vs the 49ers than potentially travel there.    

The Bucs remain in first place in the NFC South, despite being 6-8.

Former coach Bruce Arians:  “This is going to be one of those seasons where fans say, ‘I hate you! I hate you! Oh my God, ‘I love you! I love you!’ Todd Bowle] will win the division. Whatever happens after that? I hope we get rings. Who cares if our record is 8-9? Regardless of whether you’re 17-0 or 4-13, you win the division and you have a division banner and then you try for your next goal to get to the Super Bowl.”

If the Bucs win the division, they’ll be the No. 4 seed. Two years ago, they won the Super Bowl as the fifth seed.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/22/bruce-arians-is-confident-bucs-will-win-division-then-chase-another-championship/

FiveThirtyEight’s model gives the Cowboys an 8.1 percent chance to win it all, which ranks fifth among all NFL teams. But they have only a 32.5 percent chance to make the conference title game (worst among any team with at least 4 percent Super Bowl odds), in large part because getting out of the first round — and then getting past one of those other heavy hitters in the conference — is no guarantee.

That means there’s roughly a 2-in-3 chance that we will find ourselves asking why the Cowboys can’t make it past the divisional round yet again, despite how good Dallas has looked for much of the 2022 season.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/can-the-dallas-cowboys-avoid-another-playoff-flop/

Darren Wolfson (SKOR North): “What the Vikings are hoping for is to secure the 2-seed before that last game in Chicago. If you think about that turf in Chicago… I had someone with the Vikings tell me this the other day. That turf is so bad, the Vikings don’t want to risk injury the week before a playoff game.”

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/vikings-giants-luck-2-seed-nfc/?fbclid=IwAR2H2xEDx40nZ44bC8fLqnQ_kgYxs-iEmIaBTeZ7GTmVbAscdtVQG9Z_PXk

The Giants drop to 8-6-1 here and their path to the playoffs gets a bit murkier. There are so many competitors for the last two spots that I can't work out all the tiebreakers right now, but the Giants would presumably like to see the Eagles win today against the Cowboys or next week against the Saints so they don't have incentive to win the Week 18 game against New York. Before that contest, the Giants host the Colts next week.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/vikings-vs-giants-score-takeaways-greg-joseph-boots-walk-off-61-yarder-as-minnesota-downs-new-york/live/?fbclid=IwAR3bOI9E-4ykorh95PqC2zdeZYQYQZYmuAfaxMkQmK695Pv0hB8g2xLb74M

No disrespect to Dallas' Micah Parsons, but Nick Bosa probably has to be the frontrunner for Defensive Player of the Year after Saturday's win over the Commanders. Bosa had two sacks and a key fourth-down stop in a game where the defense took over late. Bosa's fourth-down tackle of Taylor Heinicke led to a George Kittle TD and a 14-point lead in the third quarter. In the fourth quarter, Bosa's second sack stripped the ball loose from Heinicke and into the arms of Jordan Willis deep in Commanders territory, leading to a 49ers field goal. On the ensuing drive, the Commanders used two blockers on Bosa, which freed up Arik Armstead to supply the pressure that led to a late interception by Jimmie Ward.

Bosa now has 17.5 sacks, a personal best putting him only two shy of tying the 49ers all-time mark of 19.5, held by Aldon Smith. Then for good measure, after Washington scored late to make it a two-score game, Bosa sacked Carson Wentz on the two-point try. The 49ers defense is loaded with talent, but Bosa is their most critical player -- and he's arguably been the best defender in the NFL this season.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-season-week-16-what-we-learned-from-saturday-s-games

• Like 1