Playoff Predictions

vike daddy

FiveThirtyEight.com doesn’t like the odds of the Vikings stealing the #1 seed from the Eagles. According to their prediction model, the Vikings have just a 2% chance of winning the NFC, heading into week 17. The Eagles have a 94% chance.

Should Philly lose on Sunday and Minnesota win, however, those odds will change drastically.

https://www.minnesotasportsfan.com/vikings-1-seed-nfc-eagles/?fbclid=IwAR1PyK0rrnqMiHxIaZcT8NbVbz0rZdRVDfuGJbdpwBGreGwZHfTA8Bt-CNc

• Like 1

Are we a top 5 team in the NFC right now? Doesn’t feel like it. 

Philly (w Hurts), SF, GB, Det all seem to be getting hot at the right time. Hard to justify putting us over Dallas given the head to head butt kicking we received. The Giants, Commanders and Vikings seem interchangeable. 

Well, I'm kinda torn because there's still a chance the Vikes could reclaim the 2nd seed . . . Although, the NFL and Vegas probably don't view this team as worthy.  We've been blown out in our 4 losses, but on the other hand, we've won 12 games:

- Swept the AFC East where all those squads have or had winning records.

-  Beat other teams with winning records.

-  Won come-from-behind numerous times.

At this point and given the injuries, I'd start the starters giving them a chance for bonuses.  Play two series with the starters and then turn it over to the backups.   If the teams beats Chicago -- whose in the running for Will Anderson -- then chips fall where they may.  

I don't see San Fran loosing their WC round game, but I do see Dallas beating the Bucs.   So, in the Divisional round, my hope is the Vikes can muster a victory over that stacked Philly team and Dallas manages to upset the Niners.    Then, who hosts the NFCCG?  That's right --- the Vikings!

Edited by ArcticNorseman
Mispelling
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

does NYG have anything to play for in beating Philly? does it change their seeding any?

@Go_Giants

I can't predict what this coaching staff is going to do because it is brand new coaching staff there is no history to go on.

If I had to make a guess, the Eagles are a rival and they embarrassed us the last time we played them. I can see us playing hard but not playing our banged up key people which are Saquon Barkley, Azeez  Ojulari(our second best pass rusher) and Leonard Williams (our second best D-lineman).

Again just a guess this coaching staff might decide they might want to play everyone to hurt the Eagles standing or just play them for a half and rest our starters to play the Vikings (some stat out there says there is 91% you guys remain the #3 seed).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

(some stat out there says there is 91% you guys remain the #3 seed

Honestly, that’s I’d say the odds are higher than that. Minnesota beating Chicago and San Francisco losing to Arizona is the only way to move back into the 2nd seed. 

And, other than trying to avoid losing back to back games before heading into the playoffs, there isn’t much incentive for the Vikings to play their starters against Chicago. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Honestly, that’s I’d say the odds are higher than that. Minnesota beating Chicago and San Francisco losing to Arizona is the only way to move back into the 2nd seed. 

And, other than trying to avoid losing back to back games before heading into the playoffs, there isn’t much incentive for the Vikings to play their starters against Chicago. 

The Vikes haven't lost back-to-back games all season . . . Now's a bad time to start.  

I definitely don't want the team to tank this last game, but the staff knows who needs rest/recovery.   Playoff Health should be #1 going into this week.  

let's play...

we're most likely to get seed #3 because SF is most likely to get seed #2. (but then... if Philly really blows it, then SF gets seed #1...)

we play NYG at home in first round. we beat them, because if we lose then there's nothing else to plan here...

7th seed is going to be DET, GB, or SEA...

if PHI holds on to #1 seed by beating NYG, then...

NYG #6 @ MINN #3
#7 seed @ SF #2
DAL #5 @ TampaBay #4

teams in bold win, so following week is...

Minn at SF
DAL or TB at PHI

--------------------------------------

should NYG beat PHI in Week 18, then SF becomes #1 seed and PHI drops to #5 seed with DAL going to #2 seed

#7 seed at DAL
NYG #6 at MINN #3
PHI #5 at TampaBay #4

to tell you the truth, i like that better.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

Edited by vike daddy
  • Like 1