Playoff Predictions

vike daddy

Tonight’s game between the Buccaneers and Saints matches up two teams with losing records, but it still has major playoff implications.

The Bucs are already in first place in the NFC South, but a win would give them a commanding lead in the division, and not much time for the Saints, Falcons or Panthers to catch them.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/05/week-13-nfl-playoff-picture-buccaneers-can-take-commanding-lead-in-nfc-south/

Before the Garoppolo injury, I was telling everyone (only my girlfriend, I have no friends) that the NFC Championship will either be the 49ers VS Vikings at Minnesota, or 49ers VS Eagles, at Philadelphia. Now I believe it will be a 2017 repeat - Vikings @ Eagles in the NFC Championship, and I, quite honestly, would not be looking forward to that.  But that is what I think. 

As for the AFC, I’ve stuck with them all year for the most part.  I’m picking the Bengals to come out of the AFC after defeating the Bills in the AFC Championship. 

So I have a Bengals vs Eagles Super Bowl matchup. 

Edited by Morlee
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Morlee said:

Before the Garoppolo injury, I was telling everyone (only my girlfriend, I have no friends) that the NFC Championship will either be the 49ers VS Vikings at Minnesota, or 49ers VS Eagles, at Philadelphia. Now I believe it will be a 2017 repeat - Vikings @ Eagles in the NFC Championship, and I, quite honestly, would not be looking forward to that.  But that is what I think. 

As for the AFC, I’ve stuck with them all year for the most part.  I’m picking the Bengals to come out of the AFC after defeating the Bills in the AFC Championship. 

So I have a Bengals vs Eagles Super Bowl matchup. 

Very optimistic of you.  I still don't really have any faith that the Vikings will make the NFCC, although I certainly hope they do.  I just think there are too many flaws on the team and they've been playing with fire all season, eventually it will come back to bite them.  For karmic reasons (Ha!), I actually hope it comes back to bite them before the regular season is over, since that will give them a better chance once the playoffs hit. 

I still believe that the 49ers will be okay and have the potential to still make the NFCC, although they likely wouldn't make it past the Eagles.  But, if somehow the Giants or Seahawks managed to upset them in the WC round, then all bets are off, as the Vikings would get the winner of the Bucs-Cowboys...and I still believe the Vikings could beat the Cowboys the 2nd time around.  I will stick with Eagles-49ers though at this time.  

The AFC is much more of a toss-up.  The Bengals are certainly beginning to play some good ball, and with the injury to Lamar, it might now be their division to lose.   I think the Chiefs might end up with HFA, which means that the Bills will likely play one of their division opponents in the WC, and the Bengals might get one of them in the 2nd rd.  So, there's a potential that the Chiefs and Bengals could meet in the AFCC again, but, I'm going out of the box and say it's going to be Chiefs-Dolphins.

• Like 1

Games in bold are against current playoff teams.

1. Eagles (11-1): @ Giants, @ Bears, @ Dallas, Saints, Giants

2. Vikings (10-2): @ Lions, Colts, Giants, @ Packers, @ Bears

3. 49ers (8-4): Buccaneers, @ Seahawks, Commanders, @ Raiders, Cardinals

4. Buccaneers (6-6): @ 49ersBengals, @ Cardinals, Panthers, @ Falcons

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. Cowboys (9-3): Texans, @ Jaguars, Eagles@ Titans, @ Commanders

6. Giants (7-4-1): Eagles, @ Commanders, @ Vikings, Colts, @ Eagles

7. Seahawks (7-5): Panthers, 49ers@ ChiefsJets, Rams

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. Commanders (7-5-1): BYE, Giants@ 49ers, Browns, Cowboys

9. Detroit (5-7)

10. Falcons (5-8)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Very optimistic of you.  I still don't really have any faith that the Vikings will make the NFCC, although I certainly hope they do.  I just think there are too many flaws on the team and they've been playing with fire all season, eventually it will come back to bite them.  For karmic reasons (Ha!), I actually hope it comes back to bite them before the regular season is over, since that will give them a better chance once the playoffs hit. 

I still believe that the 49ers will be okay and have the potential to still make the NFCC, although they likely wouldn't make it past the Eagles.  But, if somehow the Giants or Seahawks managed to upset them in the WC round, then all bets are off, as the Vikings would get the winner of the Bucs-Cowboys...and I still believe the Vikings could beat the Cowboys the 2nd time around.  I will stick with Eagles-49ers though at this time.  

The AFC is much more of a toss-up.  The Bengals are certainly beginning to play some good ball, and with the injury to Lamar, it might now be their division to lose.   I think the Chiefs might end up with HFA, which means that the Bills will likely play one of their division opponents in the WC, and the Bengals might get one of them in the 2nd rd.  So, there's a potential that the Chiefs and Bengals could meet in the AFCC again, but, I'm going out of the box and say it's going to be Chiefs-Dolphins.

Agreed.  San Francisco could be fine.  Not sure what the drop off is from JG to Purdy, but there has to be one. Even if it’s small. SF may be talented enough to overcome such a thing, but they won’t get past PHI or DAL.  I could actually see them beating MIN in a last minute game given how great their defense is, and ours is not. 

I like that Cousins isn’t as risk-adverse as he used to be, but he still does panic often. I don’t trust Cousins or this bad defense to carry us to a Super Bowl. I do believe in KOC though. He could get us somewhere.  

I just cannot see them going to Philly and beating the Eagles in Philadelphia. I do agree with you on Dallas. I do think Dallas is probably a better team; they did smack us around all day a couple weeks ago.

People want to blame our loss to them on emotional highs and unexpected schemes. Maybe they just have our number with a beating that bad? You don’t accidentally lose 40-3. You are highly paid and proud professionals.  You only lose that terribly, especially when you have the chance to tie for the no. 1 seed record-wise, if you come up against a much better team. 

If possible, I’d still want the Vikings to go through Dallas and Philadelphia to get to the Super Bowl. Overcome your seasonal demons lol 

No teams have booked a postseason berth yet this season, but there are three teams that could sew up their spots before Week 14 is over.

Two of those teams could end the week with a division title. The Chiefs will win their seventh straight AFC West title if they win in Denver while the Chargers lose at home against the Dolphins.

For the second straight week, the Vikings have a chance to win their division. A win or tie against the Lions will seal the NFC North for the Vikings after three straight years with the Packers taking the divisional crown.

The Eagles can’t put the NFC East to bed this week, but they can book at least a Wild Card slot by beating the Giants. They’ll also be in the playoffs with a loss to the Giants as long as the 49ers lose to the Bucs and the Seahawks lose at home to the Panthers.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/06/chiefs-eagles-vikings-can-clinch-playoff-spots-this-week/

Does anyone else see a 2 losses for the Eagles on the horizon?  I don’t. 

Cowboys nor the Giants are going to defeat the Eagles. And they’re fully aware, as any team is, of how important having home field advantage is in the postseason. 

Okay, maybe they lose to the Saints in a trap game.  Other than that though, I think it’s safe to assume who will be the #1 seed. 

10 hours ago, Morlee said:

Cowboys nor the Giants are going to defeat the Eagles.

I'm not sure how you can say that about the Cowboys, especially with the game in Dallas. Division games are always funky, I could see them splitting with the G-Men as well. However, you're probably right. The #1 seed is Philly's to lose.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 9:28 AM, VikeManDan said:

Big game this weekend with the 49ers and Buccaneers. A 49ers victory pretty much guarantees the NFCW the #3 seed or better and the NFCS winner the #4 seed. If the Bucs pull off the W, things could get interesting for the #3.

Even before the game, it was pretty much already guaranteed.  The NFCS is the NFCE from the last couple of years.