What do the Chargers do from here?

RandyMossIsBoss

I've always had a soft spot for the Chargers and have rooted for them to succeed. I just am thinking that what they are going through is not something I've seen before. Generally when a team in any league relocates, they lose a huge chunk of their fanbase, if not most of it. However they usually make up for those losses, and then some, with all the new fans from the fresh and hungry city they've moved to.

They already had a fairly weak fanbase while in San Diego during down years, but we see that all the time. Now they left San Diego, and naturally lost a chunk of their fanbase who are now bitter towards the franchise for leaving the city after trying to make them foot the bill for a stadium. The problem is that unlike most relocators, they weren't necessarily wanted at their new location. LA just got the Rams, a franchise that many in LA probably considered "there's" all along. On top of that, the Rams have become a good fooball team already, sitting at 7-2 with SB aspirations. Timing matters, if there were people in LA who didn't know which LA team to root for, odds are many have been rooting for the Rams as of late and will become emotionally invested in them.

I feel Spanos has done irreparable damage to the Chargers franchise, and it ultimately will cost him the most. Is there really any hope for them in LA, barring they don't turn it around quickly and win a SB or 2 in the near future?

I'm not saying the fans are bad fans, I just think the fanbase itself has to be one of the smallest in recent memory, and I don't see it changing when the Rams will dig their roots into La (already have, probably) way before the Chargers do.

Ah, yes- you have a point there, indeed. Strange how many thousands of fans are apparently reluctant to drive up the Interstate to Los Angeles on Sundays to root for the ol' home team, now generally known as "the San Diego- oops, I meant Los Angeles Chargers, I keep forgetting they moved, Ha Ha!"

It is a travesty, and a blatant disregard for history, that the classic Lightning Bolt helmet, the SYMBOL of The San Diego Chargers, should be uprooted and homeless.

Well, I guess "homeless" is wrong- if I have it right, after all the years of demands for a new stadium, threats to move, false starts, league votes, and explanations why and why not Los Angeles should have five or six teams all to themselves, the Whatever City Chargers will be finally getting their own stadium, the Amazon Prime Free-Shipping Mojave Desert Sports Complex and Luxury Box Pleasure Palace, to be funded by the bereft city of San Diego for only a little more than the cost of a nuclear war with North Korea, for the next ninety-nine years.

How sad, though, that the proud Ghosts of San Diego Chargers Past are to be disrespected in this way: Lance Alworth...Kellen Winslow...... John Hadl...... Junior Seau...... Keith Lincoln..... LaDainian Tomlinson..... Dan Fouts........ Ryan Leaf. The very names bring back the golden memories of football in San Diego!

Tragically, nevermore!

Image result for san diego chargers helmet

I think you'd have a hard time comparing them to some teams over the years because what is a "fan" is entirely subjective. We may have tons of fans around the country who watch the games but refuse to come to the stadium because who wants to go to a soccer stadium to watch football...

I'd say we have the smallest fanbase in the league right now since about half of the fans just gave up on the chargers after they moved. It was small before that...so...someone buy me a drink

When the Colts moved to Indy it was not only a new city but a state that was basketball first. At one point in time before Manning arrived, the Hoosier Dome (later RCA Dome) would see crowds leaving at half time of some home games to get home before Indiana basketball started. Manning and Dungy changed the culture completely. Just took some time

LA hates the Chargers, and always have. The move there was a terrible idea. The city belongs to the Raiders, and partially to the Rams.When you already have a smaller fan base, you make them mad by moving, and then you move them into a city that doesn't want you there, you're going to have problems filling a 27k seat stadium.

15 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

It'll be interesting to see it play out - not filling up such a small stadium has got to be concerning to the league. Do you think the NFL might try to force the Chargers elsewhere?

Where though?  San Diego is probably the best West Coast city that doesn't have a team.  Assuming the NFL would want to keep the franchise out west for balance, that would leave maybe Salt Lake City, Tuscon, Sacramento, or Portland as the other options.  Maybe El Paso if you want a team close to Mexico without committing to Mexico City and it's issues.

Archived