What do the Chargers do from here?

RandyMossIsBoss

Relocation is the darkest stain on the culture of American sports. Speaking as a European who went to university in San Diego, I know what that team meant. I know the caveat to counter me with is that the team spent its inaugural season in Los Angeles, but realness tells me it was the team of San Diego. Small fanbase or large, it doesn't matter. It blows my mind, the ease at which history, sentiment and tradition for thousands can be ripped to pieces by a single man in the pursuit of personal greed. We wouldn't stand for it here, no chance. Maybe we're more tribalistic, maybe we're less corporate. I don't know. But I do know this.

A plague on the houses of all 'franchises' that relocate.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

One could make an argument they gave him the rope to hang himself. 

The Chargers hail from a Military town, maybe that's why they shoot themselves in the foot so often

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/17/chargers-crop-army-soldier-from-photo-to-eliminate-san-diego/

from the comments section:

"The Chargers organization makes the Keystone Cops look like a training video "

(oops, cd beat me to it)

On 11/16/2017 at 7:14 PM, RandyMossIsBoss said:

The problem is that unlike most relocators, they weren't necessarily wanted at their new location. LA just got the Rams, a franchise that many in LA probably considered "there's" all along. On top of that, the Rams have become a good fooball team already, sitting at 7-2 with SB aspirations. Timing matters, if there were people in LA who didn't know which LA team to root for, odds are many have been rooting for the Rams as of late and will become emotionally invested in them.

I think there’s a bigger problem than this, honestly.

Los Angeles used to be Raiders territory. The city only lost the team because of the 1994 earthquake that destroyed the stadium after the city had already dumped tons of money into an ongoing renovations project. There was never a bitter feeling amongst fans that the team left because most understood that the team wanted to stay, but it wasn’t financially viable after the earthquake destroyed millions of dollars worth of investments. As such, Los Angeles Raiders fans never stopped rooting for the Raiders after they went back to Oakland.

The Chargers moved to a city that’s full of rabid fans of their biggest rival. They’re setting themselves up for failure.

They're a bad team with terrible ownership in a city with a much better team while also being in a city that has a large fanbase for the division rivals. They would need a radical reinvention to get fans. I mean they would pretty much have to abandon anything about the Chargers identity and get an entirely new ownership.

If the Chargers want to bring excitement to the team, they need to find a way to draft Darnold or Rosen.  Try to get the college LA fan bases to start following them by getting one of the two big QBs to their team, and then maybe a few other big name UCLA/USC players there.  Outside of that LA was likely to be a Raiders/Rams base due to previously being there with some success.

Just now, Raves said:

If the Chargers want to bring excitement to the team, they need to find a way to draft Darnold or Rosen.  Try to get the college LA fan bases to start following them by getting one of the two big QBs to their team, and then maybe a few other big name UCLA/USC players there.  Outside of that LA was likely to be a Raiders/Rams base due to previously being there with some success.

This team is too stupid to do that, we'll trot out rivers until he retires/dies behind our o-line. 

Plus what's left of the fanbase would revolt since we'd draft a QB when we're locked into Rivers for the next 2 seasons.

1 minute ago, DingoLadd said:

This team is too stupid to do that, we'll trot out rivers until he retires/dies behind our o-line. 

Plus what's left of the fanbase would revolt since we'd draft a QB when we're locked into Rivers for the next 2 seasons.

Maybe they can see where Rivers wouldn't mind being traded to and get additional assets?

On 11/18/2017 at 9:29 PM, Raves said:

Maybe they can see where Rivers wouldn't mind being traded to and get additional assets?

There are few to no teams that would trade for Rivers at this point in his career, with his current contract.

If he was a FA teams would definitely take a run at him, but with a FA class of Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garappolo, Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater etc, there will be no market for a team to trade draft picks for a QB. Especially when Tyrod Taylor will probably be able to be had for a song.

Just now, 80846905 said:

There are few to no teams that would trade for Rivers at this point in his career, with his current contract.

If he was a FA teams would definitely take a run at him, but with a FA class of Kirk Cousins, Jimmy Garappolo, Sam Bradford, Teddy Bridgewater etc, there will be no market for a team to trade draft picks for a QB. Especially when Tyrod Taylor will probably be able to be had for a song.

Jimmy G will at worst get franchised, Sam Bradford can't stay healthy, Teddy Bridgewater hasn't proved anything, Tyrod Taylor isn't anything special, and Kirk Cousins will have almost everyone looking to sign him.  Pitt might need a QB if Big Ben retires, Jacksonville could definitely look for an upgrade, Minnesota could use a consistent high quality QB, etc.  If Rivers was willing to go to any of those places then they would be a great landing spot for him as they have defenses and weapons.

That would be true, but a team isn't going to drop draft picks on Rivers when like I said, you could go get Tyrod Taylor for less, or get any of those other QBs for cheaper.

Pitt / Jacksonville will take the top 2 available (assuming Ben actually retires which god only knows how serious he is about that), and any of the other QB needy teams will take them in the draft. Also to note is the 22 million dollar cap hit Rivers will incur.

The Chargers would rightfully ask for a 1st+, when other teams should at best offer a 4th and move to a 3rd or so, but if your LAC, you don't offload the best QB your team has had in decades for that much. 

I don't see this happening outside of an owner demanding it like an idiot. (looking at the Dan Snyders of the world)

Archived