The Week 1 Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Washington Commanders, 1 PM Sunday on FOX

MikeT14

Just now, DCNative said:

Your still ignoring the things that Super Bowl Teams do and don't do. Super Bowl Teams are Accountable from Top to Bottom. Rivera isn't Accountable nor is Snyder, yet your arguing because they beat (yet could've lost) a team they just had the #1 pick in the draft. 

We aren't a Super Bowl team. We aren't even close to a Super Bowl team. Have I said we were? No. Have I said we are on our way there? No. Do I think we will ever be close with Rivera? No. Do I think we will ever be with Snyder? No. Does that make me happy? No. But after week 1 what are we going to do about it? Have you ever seen me on here saying I'm thrilled with what they did this offseason? No I was distraught about how they didn't address the linebacker position what so ever. 

I am in no way arguing about the future I'm arguing about yesterday's game. They didn't upgrade defense enough. They upgraded on offense. Carson Wentz gives us a better chance to win football games than any other QB that was available in the offseason other than Russell Wilson who didn't want to come here. If this proves to be not true, I'll take accountability. But when he out preforms all of the other QB's other than Wilson like I said, make sure you keep your same energy. 

1 minute ago, Scott Land said:

We aren't a Super Bowl team. We aren't even close to a Super Bowl team. Have I said we were? No. Have I said we are on our way there? No. Do I think we will ever be close with Rivera? No. Do I think we will ever be with Snyder? No. Does that make me happy? No. But after week 1 what are we going to do about it? Have you ever seen me on here saying I'm thrilled with what they did this offseason? No I was distraught about how they didn't address the linebacker position what so ever. 

I am in no way arguing about the future I'm arguing about yesterday's game. They didn't upgrade defense enough. They upgraded on offense. Carson Wentz gives us a better chance to win football games than any other QB that was available in the offseason other than Russell Wilson who didn't want to come here. If this proves to be not true, I'll take accountability. But when he out preforms all of the other QB's other than Wilson like I said, make sure you keep your same energy. 

Ok. With Dak gone and Cooper Rush as their QB now, how far should Wentz take this Offense in the division? 

4 minutes ago, DCNative said:

This statement alone should get Rivera fired. Davis hasn't shown the ability to cover a WR, yet your still putting him in that situation. Davis never should've been covering Kirk. 

The sole reason Jamin Davis jumped to the first round was because he ran a 4.4 forty. I mean, we're talking about a guy who going into his final season only got on the field because the starter had a stroke. He's an amazing athlete but at this point there has been no improvement. They overthought it and should've just picked JOK like most everyone wanted and thought was going to happen. Rivera even admitted it was tough to draft that year because of Covid and no in-person interviews which was basically his way of saying we probably would've picked someone else. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

They added a new starting QB via trade.  The new new Guards I already alluded to. They drafted a new starting RB. They drafted a new starting WR. 

Defensively, on the Dline they moved on from two expensive backups at DT and went with a younger cheaper group that can play multiple positions (I was a fan of both Ioannidis and Settle but they were DTs only). Several of the guys were late round picks we've taken in recent years and need playing time if they're going to prove anything. They also brought in Mathis to obviously replace Payne next year. At linebacker, they usually only have 2 on the field at a time, and Holcomb and Davis are entrenched starters.  In the secondary they (wisely imo) decided that the Safety situation can be addressed with late round draft picks.  They recently stole some young players at CB to add in for back end depth there. 

They did a lot to improve the team. To me the question is what is more valuable, a 3rd linebacker, 4th CB or a 3rd round draft pick?  100% a 3rd round draft pick.  Cause the starters were entrenched at those positions.  

That’s a good point about the 3rd round comp pick for Scherff. I hadn’t thought about that. If we had spent big $ in a FS, CB or 3rd LB we could lose that Scherff 3rd rnd comp pick in next years draft who may someday be a long term starter for us.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That’s a good point about the 3rd round comp pick for Scherff. I hadn’t thought about that. If we had spent big $ in a FS, CB or 3rd LB we could lose that Scherff 3rd rnd comp pick in next years draft who may someday be a long term starter for us.

But this is just silly. There were players in free agency that would've improved this team but we didn't do it so we could protect what is essentially a fourth round pick. It just doesn't make sense when you're going into year three on a team that badly needs talent. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The sole reason Jamin Davis jumped to the first round was because he ran a 4.4 forty. I mean, we're talking about a guy who going into his final season only got on the field because the starter had a stroke. He's an amazing athlete but at this point there has been no improvement. They overthought it and should've just picked JOK like most everyone wanted and thought was going to happen. Rivera even admitted it was tough to draft that year because of Covid and no in-person interviews which was basically his way of saying we probably would've picked someone else. 

So be Accountable Coach. Go see if you can go get JOK now, let Davis go, switch his position, replace him, say I made a mistake with this pick, ect. You can't just keep Davis on the team because he was a 1st round pick choice of Rivera. Yet with Rivera being GM and HC he can't bring himself to that Accountability, nethier will his friend in Mayhew. 

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

To me the question is what is more valuable, a 3rd linebacker, 4th CB or a 3rd round draft pick? 

Except that’s not the question, though their comments on the issue seem as though they want you to think it is. 

There were numerous options at these various positions of need that would not have implicated the comp pick formula at all.

I frequently referenced a couple of good veteran slot CBs who were released by their prior teams and thus wouldn’t have affected the picks at all (Bryce Callahan and Tavon Young). There are loads of veteran LBs out there who they could have signed at any time after May whatever, without affecting the comp picks at all — guys like AJ Johnson, Jermaine Carter, Kenny Young, Alec Ogletree, Reggie Ragland, Anthony Hitchens, Jarrad Davis, etc. Same at DT, with probably a dozen playable veterans that are and have been just sitting out there. 

They’re well aware of these options to bypass the comp picks, as they used both avenues this offseason, to sign starting OG Andrew Norwell (previously released) and reserve OG Trai Turner (signed after comp pick date). I’m sure the comp pick issue was a factor that kept them out of the very first wave of UFA, but it doesn’t explain the inactivity after the draft. That was a specific choice they made. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCNative said:

So be Accountable Coach. Go see if you can go get JOK now, let Davis go, switch his position, replace him, say I made a mistake with this pick, ect. You can't just keep Davis on the team because he was a 1st round pick choice of Rivera. Yet with Rivera being GM and HC he can't bring himself to that Accountability, nethier will his friend in Mayhew. 

I mean, they aren't going to cut Davis. I probably wouldn't either but I at least would've brought in a vet who could help coach him. It just seems like he's being left out to dry.