The Week 1 Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Washington Commanders, 1 PM Sunday on FOX

MikeT14

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

But this is just silly. There were players in free agency that would've improved this team but we didn't do it so we could protect what is essentially a fourth round pick. It just doesn't make sense when you're going into year three on a team that badly needs talent. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong 

Your not wrong. That's how people who want to Win think. 

Writing this just made me realize Rivera could really have that Trust in Snyder and he actually stays his full 5 years. 😡😡😡 

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The sole reason Jamin Davis jumped to the first round was because he ran a 4.4 forty. I mean, we're talking about a guy who going into his final season only got on the field because the starter had a stroke. He's an amazing athlete but at this point there has been no improvement. They overthought it and should've just picked JOK like most everyone wanted and thought was going to happen. Rivera even admitted it was tough to draft that year because of Covid and no in-person interviews which was basically his way of saying we probably would've picked someone else. 

Yes but the decision to draft Davis is a whole other conversation than adding additional linebackers this year. Once you take Davis in the first round he has to play. They have Holcomb and Davis as starters and we run a 2 linebacker set the majority of the time.  How many veterans are going to sign on to play little to no minutes? Also why would you risk your 3rd round comp pick for a backup linebacker? This whole argument that a lack of signing backup linebackers or CBs is the reason our defense is struggling is just not accurate. 

To me the biggest criticism right now needs to be on the defensive coaching staff, which with Rivera being the head coach (and a defensive minded one at that) he needs to be lumped into that. We have spent a ton of draft capital on defense the past 5 years, we should not be this bad. So either A) the coaching staff is not developing these young talented players properly, or B) they aren't putting them into position to succeed (or more frightening its both).  So if Rivera wears two hats, one being the GM and one being the HC, the HC is the one that needs to be criticized right now.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I mean, they aren't going to cut Davis. I probably wouldn't either but I at least would've brought in a vet who could help coach him. It just seems like he's being left out to dry. 

He's not being left out to dry if he's playing. They obviously are putting time in with him. I would like to see him in a 4-3 defense on the outside. That would mean Del Rio would have to get out of that 2 LB scheme. It's not all on Davis, it's all on Rivera. He's Coach and GM at the end of the day. 

5 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Except that’s not the question, though their comments on the issue seem as though they want you to think it is. 

There were numerous options at these various positions of need that would not have implicated the comp pick formula at all.

I frequently referenced a couple of good veteran slot CBs who were released by their prior teams and thus wouldn’t have affected the picks at all (Bryce Callahan and Tavon Young). There are loads of veteran LBs out there who they could have signed at any time after May whatever, without affecting the comp picks at all — guys like AJ Johnson, Jermaine Carter, Kenny Young, Alec Ogletree, Reggie Ragland, Anthony Hitchens, Jarrad Davis, etc. Same at DT, with probably a dozen playable veterans that are and have been just sitting out there. 

They’re well aware of these options to bypass the comp picks, as they used both avenues this offseason, to sign starting OG Andrew Norwell (previously released) and reserve OG Trai Turner (signed after comp pick date). I’m sure the comp pick issue was a factor that kept them out of the very first wave of UFA, but it doesn’t explain the inactivity after the draft. That was a specific choice they made. 

Its multi-faceted though.  It isn't just about the comp pick but those vets are going to take snaps from your young guys you've drafted that you're trying to develop.  Generally speaking they're usually more expensive too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Yes but the decision to draft Davis is a whole other conversation than adding additional linebackers this year. Once you take Davis in the first round he has to play. They have Holcomb and Davis as starters and we run a 2 linebacker set the majority of the time.  How many veterans are going to sign on to play little to no minutes? Also why would you risk your 3rd round comp pick for a backup linebacker? This whole argument that a lack of signing backup linebackers or CBs is the reason our defense is struggling is just not accurate. 

To me the biggest criticism right now needs to be on the defensive coaching staff, which with Rivera being the head coach (and a defensive minded one at that) he needs to be lumped into that. We have spent a ton of draft capital on defense the past 5 years, we should not be this bad. So either A) the coaching staff is not developing these young talented players properly, or B) they aren't putting them into position to succeed (or more frightening its both).  So if Rivera wears two hats, one being the GM and one being the HC, the HC is the one that needs to be criticized right now.  

Yet with those 2 hats, who comes to Rivera and tells him he needs to fix this immediately? Great you got Wentz, now we need this Defense playing like your team did in Carolina so we can get to the Super Bowl like they did. 

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

But the major issue is this two-linebacker set simply isn't working. The only time it even remotely worked was with Landon Collins playing Buffalo but they blew that up. Davis just isn't ready to be thrust into this role. You can see how slow he is to read and react and I blame that on coaching just as much as I blame Davis. He has all-world speed at LB and they could use him similar to the way Parsons is used. Instead they have him covering wide receivers and getting torched. It's asinine. 

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But the major issue is this two-linebacker set simply isn't working. The only time it even remotely worked was with Landon Collins playing Buffalo but they blew that up. Davis just isn't ready to be thrust into this role. You can see how slow he is to read and react and I blame that on coaching just as much as I blame Davis. He has all-world speed at LB and they could use him similar to the way Parsons is used. Instead they have him covering wide receivers and getting torched. It's asinine. 

I don't think there's an issue with the 2 linebacker scheme in general, I mean a ton of teams run it now.  Teams throw like 60%+ of the time so it makes sense to do so.  But something is clearly wrong, you're totally right that Davis should not be on WRs. I question whether the scheme may be too complex?  I notice that Holcomb seems lost sometimes too and he's been here for years. Why can't they just dumb it down and let these guys just play. 

1 hour ago, DCNative said:

Ok. With Dak gone and Cooper Rush as their QB now, how far should Wentz take this Offense in the division? 

Very good question. I think overall the Eagles top to bottom have a more talented team, and that's a knock on the front office and coaching staff for not bringing more guys in (I already agreed with you on that). If Jalen Hurts plays well, they have a chance of winning the NFC, not just the East. Cowboys are lacking weapons and are going to really struggle without Dak. Giants aren't good imo. There's no reason we shouldn't be top 2 in the division, with a chance to win if Hurts struggles. If Hurts plays well I don't foresee us winning the division but like our chances of getting a wild card and losing in the first round of playoffs. 

• Like 2