The Week 1 Thread: Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Washington Commanders, 1 PM Sunday on FOX

MikeT14

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2022 at 11:13 PM, Thaiphoon said:

If Payne has a great year, I don't mind bringing him back. Mathis being a 2nd and a backup is just fine with me. We need the depth.

See, they had the depth not six-seven months ago. They chose to nuke it all, then realized their mistake, and tried to paper over it. Now, the chickens have come home to roost.

Barring injury, I have to think that Payne is now going to command above what he would have got if Mathis hadn't gotten hurt. He has all the leverage now.

9 minutes ago, Woz said:

See, they had the depth not six-seven months ago. They chose to nuke it all, then realized their mistake, and tried to paper over it. Now, the chickens have come home to roost.

Barring injury, I have to think that Payne is now going to command above what he would have got if Mathis hadn't gotten hurt. He has all the leverage now.

He's also quickly developing into an extremely good player. They're as bad as the Lerners with not getting out in front of this stuff. My guess is they could've gave Payne $15M a year and he would've accepted it but now no chance. I know its only two games but he's been dominant. 

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

He's also quickly developing into an extremely good player. They're as bad as the Lerners with not getting out in front of this stuff. My guess is they could've gave Payne $15M a year and he would've accepted it but now no chance. I know its only two games but he's been dominant. 

One of those guys you worry only plays hard when the money is on the line. I think he's a good character guy but you never know. Get the contract and quiet quit . Happens all too often .