Week 1- Philadelphia Eagles @ Detroit Lions

Louis Friend

I thought Okudah looked good. So was happy to see that. If Levi can come back that would be great, but at this point he just seems broken and broken in a different way that Okudah was.

this team still isn’t all back and that’s exciting. Paschal and Williams coming back later this season will add at the minimum great depth.

although I’m tired of moral victories, we played a good team. But this team has got to learn to play 4 quarters. Those lulls, like what happened after the first drive, can’t keep happening.

i like the defense against non-mobile qbs. Think they are going to produce some big pressure. I really like where we are at compared to this time last year.

• Like 3

4. Philadelphia Eagles (1-0): The Eagles’ hype train is about to jump the tracks after steamrolling the Lions.

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-power-rankings-week-1-043300724.html

They obviously didn't watch the game. I don't know how someone allows 35 points to be scored and barely holds on a 17 point lead and then characterizes this as "steamrolling". 

Despite giving up 38 points, the defense looked A LOT better than I had expected. They were getting to the QB and providing a lot of pressure. Hurts was just able to escape and they didn't really have an answer for a guy that can move like that. There's a reason that AJ Brown earned himself a huge new contract and he showed it on the field today. He's a dude and we just don't have a guy who is also a dude on defense to match up. Outside of quarterback, that's probably the next biggest piece we need in order to build towards being a contender. We need that eraser who can force a team to have to move to their second or third best option in order to move the ball and make plays. 

The offense left too many plays on the field with drops. That just can't happen and we aren't good enough to overcome that. This is Jared Goff, not Stafford throwing fastballs. These guys have to make those catches. 

Overall, I thought we played a pretty good game overall. There's definitely some sloppiness and things that need to get cleaned up. Swift is looking like the guy they selected in round 2 and could be an elite player. The crowd and the energy looked incredible. There's a lot of hope for us as fans. However, that's only going to last so long if we can't start putting together some W's and look like the team is going to get over the hump. There are no moral victories and the Lions are 0-1 going into week 2. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-power-rankings-week-1-043300724.html

They obviously didn't watch the game. I don't know how someone allows 35 points to be scored and barely holds on a 17 point lead and then characterizes this as "steamrolling". 

Despite giving up 38 points, the defense looked A LOT better than I had expected. They were getting to the QB and providing a lot of pressure. Hurts was just able to escape and they didn't really have an answer for a guy that can move like that. There's a reason that AJ Brown earned himself a huge new contract and he showed it on the field today. He's a dude and we just don't have a guy who is also a dude on defense to match up. Outside of quarterback, that's probably the next biggest piece we need in order to build towards being a contender. We need that eraser who can force a team to have to move to their second or third best option in order to move the ball and make plays. 

The offense left too many plays on the field with drops. That just can't happen and we aren't good enough to overcome that. This is Jared Goff, not Stafford throwing fastballs. These guys have to make those catches. 

Overall, I thought we played a pretty good game overall. There's definitely some sloppiness and things that need to get cleaned up. Swift is looking like the guy they selected in round 2 and could be an elite player. The crowd and the energy looked incredible. There's a lot of hope for us as fans. However, that's only going to last so long if we can't start putting together some W's and look like the team is going to get over the hump. There are no moral victories and the Lions are 0-1 going into week 2. 

Actually, our defense gave up 31 points. Still not ideal, but I cannot blame the pick six on them. We matched up pretty evenly with the team most expect to win the NFCE. That interception is the defining play of the game. 

31 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Actually, our defense gave up 31 points. Still not ideal, but I cannot blame the pick six on them. We matched up pretty evenly with the team most expect to win the NFCE. That interception is the defining play of the game. 

The interception is the easy thing to blame but the big play to Brown just before half to give them an easy FG was just as big.  Also all of the third and longs we gave up that could have ended drives if we got home instead of just flushing Hurts.  the Pick 6 obviously was bad, but the three three and outs prior and the big plays/penalties on their first drive of the second half were just as big of reasons why we lost, if not bigger because those will continue throughout the season where a pick 6 is not counted on.  

• Like 2

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/onepride-plus/malcolm-rodriguez-pff-highest-graded-lions-defender

Interesting PFF grades for our team week 1. 

• Nice to see Rodriguez be the top defender.  The problem is our top defender graded at a 73.4. He played 60% of the defensive snaps and expect that to go up as Anzalone played 92% and was one of our worst players. More Rdorigo sooner than later should be happening. 
  • Okudah had a solid grade against a tough passing offense and held Smith catchless on 4 attempts. 
  • Ragnow graded much worse than I expected.  I didn't pay close attention to him but thought with the way we ran up the middle that he would have been graded higher. 
  • Stenberg was awful.  The back to back false starts and a sack allowed.  We need better play at RG while Vaitai is out. 
  • Sewell and Swift with really nice grades as expected.  
  • Harris, Brockers, Anzalone, and Barnes had awful days which line up with our defense.  Our issues at LB and DT are gaping when our veteran DT and the second year LB we traded up for struggle that bad even if they didnt play the majority of the snaps. Its disappointing to see Harris with such a bad day given the talks of him excelling in camp and moving on from young guys like Parker.  

On 9/12/2022 at 7:37 AM, BofaDeez54927 said:

I've given up on Hock taking the next steps. A few too many bad reps, flags and gaffes for my liking. 

Good player, but I don't think he's going to be worth his next contract. 

That's why I said "could". He has the talent. He just doesn't seem to put together a consistent string of good games together. I was kind of hoping in a contract year he's play with more fire. Still early in the season though. 

On 9/17/2022 at 8:08 PM, Louis Friend said:

Kelce was doing an interview about this play and he said he was impressed. 😂

That was a great convo between the brothers Kelce. Nice to see a guy being able to give another guy props for a great play and putting his ego aside. It can't be fun to be on the other end of a viral video. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

That was a great convo between the brothers Kelce. Nice to see a guy being able to give another guy props for a great play and putting his ego aside. It can't be fun to be on the other end of a viral video. 

Yeah, I gained a ton of respect for Kelce after the interview. Especially when he said that wasn't even the best play Rodrigo put on him. Kelce seems to be a class act.

• Like 1