Rack's 2023 Mock Draft - 10th and Final Edition - 7 Rounds (4/26)

rackcs

On 11/17/2022 at 1:23 PM, rackcs said:

I figured Jones could potentially replace Jonah Williams or La'el Collins, I feel like he's versatile enough to play either side of the line if needed.

Skoronski just feels like a nice fit for the Falcons because they have a bunch of good but not great OL pieces. So Skoronski's versatility would be perfect them in terms of being able to put him wherever they have the need or they feel that the upgrade will be the biggest.

For the 2nd round pick, I basically just went with whoever I thought was the best defensive prospect available. Feel like you could fit a new starter in at most of those positions except maybe linebacker.

Yeah we really only have 1 great o-line in Lindstrom.  Other than that probably 2 good ones in Matthews and Mcgary with Matthews the better of the 2 but both still good.   Then Dalman and a LG are usually avg or below avg depending on the day.  Although Dalman had a very good game against the bears this week as did most of our oline.    Lindstrom was down right dominant with like a 95 pff grade. 

Still im not against Skoronski as the Falcons pick i have said he was one of my 5 main targets if we draft in the top 10 to take so getting him at 11 is huge for us imo. 

As far as round 2 i don't think any Falcon fan will EVERRRRRRRRRR be mad at taking a edge rusher early.  It's the one position we just can't seem to hit on in the draft and the worst part of our team year after year.    Heck at this point if a stud edge rusher came available via trade i wouldn't be against going the Abraham route again and trading a 1st round pick for them and then giving them a nice long contract. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 2:25 AM, FalconFan13 said:

Yeah we really only have 1 great o-line in Lindstrom.  Other than that probably 2 good ones in Matthews and Mcgary with Matthews the better of the 2 but both still good.   Then Dalman and a LG are usually avg or below avg depending on the day.  Although Dalman had a very good game against the bears this week as did most of our oline.    Lindstrom was down right dominant with like a 95 pff grade. 

Still im not against Skoronski as the Falcons pick i have said he was one of my 5 main targets if we draft in the top 10 to take so getting him at 11 is huge for us imo. 

As far as round 2 i don't think any Falcon fan will EVERRRRRRRRRR be mad at taking a edge rusher early.  It's the one position we just can't seem to hit on in the draft and the worst part of our team year after year.    Heck at this point if a stud edge rusher came available via trade i wouldn't be against going the Abraham route again and trading a 1st round pick for them and then giving them a nice long contract. 

I'll trade ya Josh Allen for a 1st and third. 

On 11/17/2022 at 9:30 AM, rackcs said:

5. Jacksonville Jaguars: Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State

I'd pass on adding a Tackle. We have 2 starters under contract (cam Robinson and Walker little).  Not a bad idea but then it's essentially not letting a 2nd round choice play.  I'd go in no particular order: wr, CB, edge, IDL.  

Wr: Ridley is 1.5 years out of football so who knows how he will play.  We losing Marvin Jones Jr to FA.  Need someone who's a true alpha wr. 

CB: Griffin is good as burnt toast and he's a likely cap cut.  Williams is seemingly stuck as a Slot cb(I'd run him outside andet Herndon play slot right now).  Need a starting outside corner or slot guy. 

EDge(3-4): we are terrible at pass rush.  Allen and Walker are decent at creating pressure but neither have really finished them with sacks and Allen is a free agent next year.  Adding a top 3-4 edge would at the very least allow us to brace for letting Allen walk(I'm not sure what contract value I give him) and also would allow us to use walker inside in nickel since he seemingly doesn't know any pass rush moves bull rush. 

IDL: Foley and Hamilton are fine. They just don't provide enough pass rush.  Robertson-harris should be a cap casualty since he doesn't seem to help the run or pass. 

On 11/17/2022 at 9:30 AM, rackcs said:

. Jacksonville Jaguars: Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia

Not a bad idea but I just don't see the value there even with how our TE room looks at free agency.   Probably go with one of the positions above 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 11:35 AM, LinderFournette said:

I'll trade ya Josh Allen for a 1st and third. 

Nah im good homie i don't dislike the dude but im not a big fan of him either.  Im also a Jags fan so i see him quite often XD   If im giving up a 1st or a 1st + i need something back quite a bit better than Allen.  I need a legit game changing edge rusher like Jon Abraham was for us someone good enough to overcome the Falcon curse XD

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 2:43 PM, ninjapirate said:

There is a zero percent chance Howie would ever use a first round pick on a running back. 

Value isn't there for the 5th year option. 

I disagree, RB is a perfect position to get a 5th year option on. Gives you an extra season of team control before having to pay them a long-term contract or send them packing. For a position that's as pump-and-dump as RB, having an extra season of control is worth it if the player is good.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2022 at 11:47 AM, LinderFournette said:

I'd pass on adding a Tackle. We have 2 starters under contract (cam Robinson and Walker little).  Not a bad idea but then it's essentially not letting a 2nd round choice play.  I'd go in no particular order: wr, CB, edge, IDL.  

Wr: Ridley is 1.5 years out of football so who knows how he will play.  We losing Marvin Jones Jr to FA.  Need someone who's a true alpha wr. 

CB: Griffin is good as burnt toast and he's a likely cap cut.  Williams is seemingly stuck as a Slot cb(I'd run him outside andet Herndon play slot right now).  Need a starting outside corner or slot guy. 

EDge(3-4): we are terrible at pass rush.  Allen and Walker are decent at creating pressure but neither have really finished them with sacks and Allen is a free agent next year.  Adding a top 3-4 edge would at the very least allow us to brace for letting Allen walk(I'm not sure what contract value I give him) and also would allow us to use walker inside in nickel since he seemingly doesn't know any pass rush moves bull rush. 

IDL: Foley and Hamilton are fine. They just don't provide enough pass rush.  Robertson-harris should be a cap casualty since he doesn't seem to help the run or pass. 

Not a bad idea but I just don't see the value there even with how our TE room looks at free agency.   Probably go with one of the positions above 

Walker Little has played 17 total snaps all season. I don't think he's going to stop the Jaguars from taking an offensive tackle if one is available. As for other positions available there, I didn't have any WRs or CBs as worth taking top 5, but will consider DL in future mocks.

As for Washington, I think he's a unique weapon with legit blocking talent and receiving potential. I know Doug Pederson likes using TEs. My thought was just in general getting Lawrence a weapon to work with and had Washington over the WRs available.

1 hour ago, rackcs said:

Walker Little has played 17 total snaps all season. I don't think he's going to stop the Jaguars from taking an offensive tackle if one is available. As for other positions available there, I didn't have any WRs or CBs as worth taking top 5, but will consider DL in future mocks.

As for Washington, I think he's a unique weapon with legit blocking talent and receiving potential. I know Doug Pederson likes using TEs. My thought was just in general getting Lawrence a weapon to work with and had Washington over the WRs available.

If we focused on OT situation only then there would be absolutely no way for Jaguars to skip Fashanu in favor of Little. However, DE Wilson and Murphy are on good track to be had in top 5 so I should think they will take DE there with an acceptance of having Little as a starter.

Anyway, I pull my nose out of Jaguars business. I am upset at Seahawks taking Johnson right before Jets in 1st. grrr!!!!  Not sure if Jets will draft OT in 1st but after looking at next 6 sections of yours I think I am okay with it for now.  Solid 2nd round pick.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

If we focused on OT situation only then there would be absolutely no way for Jaguars to skip Fashanu in favor of Little. However, DE Wilson and Murphy are on good track to be had in top 5 so I should think they will take DE there with an acceptance of having Little as a starter.

Anyway, I pull my nose out of Jaguars business. I am upset at Seahawks taking Johnson right before Jets in 1st. grrr!!!!  Not sure if Jets will draft OT in 1st but after looking at next 6 sections of yours I think I am okay with it for now.  Solid 2nd round pick.

Yeah, I didn't think about Allen being an upcoming free agent but EDGE definitely could make sense for the Jags too. I also wasn't sure if they'd want to go back-to-back EDGE like that. But especially now with Fashanu returning to school, I think EDGE makes the most sense there.

I went OT for the Jets because I just don't know if you can rely on Mekhi Becton at this point to stay healthy. I know AVT played alright at LT earlier this season when pushed out there, but it could be worthwhile to keep him as a potentially elite guard if you can find a good enough LT to take over full time.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 5:08 AM, rackcs said:

I disagree, RB is a perfect position to get a 5th year option on. Gives you an extra season of team control before having to pay them a long-term contract or send them packing. For a position that's as pump-and-dump as RB, having an extra season of control is worth it if the player is good.

You never want to pay a running back that 5th year option because then you are overpaying a running back. Only suckers sign running backs to long term second deals.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

You never want to pay a running back that 5th year option because then you are overpaying a running back. Only suckers sign running backs to long term second deals.

At the high end of a RB 5th year option (if they've made multiple pro bowls), they're getting borderline top 10 RB money for only one season. You're right that only suckers sign running backs to long term deals. Which is why if you hit on a first round RB, you get them relatively cost-controlled for four years and then, if they're worth it, pay them borderline top 10 money for only one year. If they're the type of running back who has made multiple pro bowls in their first four years then they're probably worth borderline top 10 money for one season. The 5th year option is the perfect way to pump-and-dump a good RB and get the most out of them while not giving them a long term deal.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

I really like Kayshon Boutte, but Cleveland needs DL help bad.

Felix Anudike-Uzomah would make more sense imo

Yeah, I think I'd change that one looking back. Cleveland needs somebody who can stop the run consistently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JetsandI said:

The discussion about OT is mute cuz Fashanu decided to stay in school yesterday. 

Wilson is interesting but I'm not sure I like the fit as a 3-4 olb and then to compound on edge is we have 2 starters already at OLB both who are young.  Allen is a fa to be next year but I think Trevor would love to have a bigger body wr that he loves(see Higgins and Ross). 

Murphy to me is strictly a 4-3 DE. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rackcs said:

Johnston is considered by most as a 5-10 range guy.   Not really a reach if u don't have the alpha wr. U have Johnston going 10 so it's not a reach. .

Walker little lost the RT battle which was really close and I think little got jobbed cuz of his ability to play LT so they wouldn't need to do the ol shuffle.   Little is good enough to start.  There's a reason jags didn't trade him at the deadline.  They like him. 

As far as the Doug lives TE thing: engram is 4th on targets with this roster.  Ertz and goedert were both better then the wrs on that roster so hence he used them more.  

Better off grabbing a corner to replace Griffin. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

The discussion about OT is mute cuz Fashanu decided to stay in school yesterday. 

Wilson is interesting but I'm not sure I like the fit as a 3-4 olb and then to compound on edge is we have 2 starters already at OLB both who are young.  Allen is a fa to be next year but I think Trevor would love to have a bigger body wr that he loves(see Higgins and Ross). 

Murphy to me is strictly a 4-3 DE. 

I think Murphy could probably play OLB, he's a pretty athletic guy. Tyree I definitely think could. Both have pretty similar builds to Travon Walker though size-wise and so I guess the question for me would be more about scheme, do the Jaguars want one bigger pass rusher and potentially one smaller guy or is it compatible with two bigger OLB.

29 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Johnston is considered by most as a 5-10 range guy.   Not really a reach if u don't have the alpha wr. U have Johnston going 10 so it's not a reach. .

Walker little lost the RT battle which was really close and I think little got jobbed cuz of his ability to play LT so they wouldn't need to do the ol shuffle.   Little is good enough to start.  There's a reason jags didn't trade him at the deadline.  They like him. 

As far as the Doug lives TE thing: engram is 4th on targets with this roster.  Ertz and goedert were both better then the wrs on that roster so hence he used them more.  

Better off grabbing a corner to replace Griffin. 

I don't think the consensus necessarily has any WR as a lock top 10 guy. For me personally I probably wouldn't take any of the WRs top 10 right now. I think there's good depth to this WR class but there's not a big top end name like Chase or anything. None of the WRs last year went higher than 8 and I think 2-3 of the WRs last year were better prospects than Johnston. I think the late top 10 range is the absolute cap for him right now before testing and everything.