Rack's 2023 Mock Draft - 10th and Final Edition - 7 Rounds (4/26)

rackcs

With college football back and the NFL season starting again tonight, I figured it was time to do my first NFL Mock Draft of the season. I didn't do any summer scouting this year so I'm still pretty unfamiliar with players, just did the best I could based on some trusted sources plus the limited knowledge I have on the players. I struggled a bit with team needs for a lot of teams so I'd love to get some feedback on that. Finally, the order is based off of my season predictions I did on playoffpredictor. All in all, it's a very early mock draft so I'm very eager to hear feedback on the picks so I can learn more for my next one.

Round 1
1. Chicago Bears - CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State
2. Seattle Seahawks - Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
3. Atlanta Falcons - Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Alabama
4. New York Jets - Jalen Carter, INT, Georgia
5. Carolina Panthers - Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson
6. Jacksonville Jaguars - Bryan Bresee, INT, Clemson
7. New York Giants - Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
8. Washington Commanders - Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia
9. Houston Texans - Jaxson Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
10. Detroit Lions - Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
11. Miami Dolphins - 
12. Minnesota Vikings - Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame
13. Philadelphia Eagles (from New Orleans) - Isaiah Foskey, EDGE, Notre Dame
14. New England Patriots - Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU
15. Houston Texans (from Cleveland) - Nolan Smith, EDGE, Georgia
16. Las Vegas Raiders - Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson
17. Pittsburgh Steelers - Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern
18. Seattle Seahawks (from Denver) - Siaki Ika, INT, Baylor
19. Arizona Cardinals - Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
20. Dallas Cowboys - Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State
21. Tennessee Titans - Tyree Wilson, EDGE, Texas Tech
22. Philadelphia Eagles - Clark Phillips III, CB, Utah
23. Indianapolis Colts - Arik Gilbert, TE, Georgia
24. Los Angeles Chargers - Jordan Addison, WR, USC
25. Miami Dolphins (from San Francisco) - Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State
26. Detroit Lions (from LA Rams) - Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida
27. Baltimore Ravens - Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU
28. Cincinnati Bengals - Cam Smith, CB, South Carolina
29. Kansas City Chiefs - Antonio Johnson, S, Texas A&M
30. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Noah Sewell, LB, Oregon
31. Buffalo Bills - Brian Branch, S, Alabama
32. Green Bay Packers - Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina

• Like 1

The Colts just drafted two TEs (3 in last 2 years), and resigned Mo Alie-Cox to a three year extension. I don’t expect TE to be a major need immediately.  I think that it’s possible if we don’t resign Ngakoue we might go Edge or possibly OL if Raimann or Pinter don’t progress to the staff’s liking. With an outside shot at WR, CB or even QB

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rackcs said:

6. Jacksonville Jaguars - Bryan Bresee, INT, Clemson

not  a bad choice but i could easily see us going with a WR(maarvin Jones is a FA and our 2 youngest/developmental wrs on the roster are a 24 year old 1st yer guy(was a PS guy last season)and a 25 year old rookie) or TE(our reported top 3 TEs(engram, arnold and Manhertz are all set to be free gents).  Breese makes sense as well because 3 of our DL guys are free agents(Key, Smoot, and gotsis). 

id prefer to go get Trevor a nice young weapon to help him be even better. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, scar988 said:

Great Falcons pick. Wouldn't be surprised if they are picking a little later and end up with Jalen Carter either. Both would be great fits for Pees and his scheme.

I wouldn't be totally shocked if they go QB too but I don't think it's a guarantee. I think a lot will depend on how this season plays out with Mariota and Ridder and then also where they end up in the draft order. For now, I agree, adding some defensive talent is a smart move. 

17 hours ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

The Colts just drafted two TEs (3 in last 2 years), and resigned Mo Alie-Cox to a three year extension. I don’t expect TE to be a major need immediately.  I think that it’s possible if we don’t resign Ngakoue we might go Edge or possibly OL if Raimann or Pinter don’t progress to the staff’s liking. With an outside shot at WR, CB or even QB

That's fair. I've never been a big Alie-Cox fan but didn't realize he'd been extended. Colts were definitely a team I wasn't super sure on needs so that'll be helpful for next time.

14 hours ago, hburn said:

Not a Bryce young fan for Seattle but position is obviously correct

What about Young isn't a fit for Seattle?

11 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

not  a bad choice but i could easily see us going with a WR(maarvin Jones is a FA and our 2 youngest/developmental wrs on the roster are a 24 year old 1st yer guy(was a PS guy last season)and a 25 year old rookie) or TE(our reported top 3 TEs(engram, arnold and Manhertz are all set to be free gents).  Breese makes sense as well because 3 of our DL guys are free agents(Key, Smoot, and gotsis). 

id prefer to go get Trevor a nice young weapon to help him be even better. 

I thought about WR for the Jags but they did just invest a ton of money into the position so I wasn't sure if they'd go back to that well right away. I also am not quite as high on the WRs to think they should go that high in the top 10 but time will tell on that.

13 minutes ago, Danger said:

After just 2 years, the Bears draft another Ohio State QB. Ehhhhhhhhh

Stroud is a way different, and frankly better, prospect than Fields. This new regime clearly doesn't care about Fields and if he struggles and they pick high, I think it's likely they go for a new QB.

18 hours ago, rackcs said:

10. Detroit Lions - Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

I know you’re jumping ahead of the hype train on this one but I think this is too early as of now (which we talked about when I brought up AR in the BDL mock) especially when you have Cam Smith going 28. But I know you have your reasons.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

I know you’re jumping ahead of the hype train on this one but I think this is too early as of now (which we talked about when I brought up AR in the BDL mock) especially when you have Cam Smith going 28. But I know you have your reasons.

He was one of the only good defenders on Oregon against Georgia. I thought he played well against some top competition when the rest of the team was getting absolutely torched. That to me validated some of the hype I was hearing. 

Also, he's had good play in the past at Colorado, it's not like he's never played before and it's all measurables and hype. Richardson is different because he's barely played and is literally only hype and potential at this point.

Edited by rackcs

9 minutes ago, rackcs said:

He was one of the only good defenders on Oregon against Georgia. I thought he played well against some top competition when the rest of the team was getting absolutely torched. That to me validated some of the hype I was hearing. 

Also, he's had good play in the past at Colorado, it's not like he's never played before and it's all measurables and hype. Richardson is different because he's barely played and is literally only hype and potential at this point.

Hype is fine but top 10? It’s too early 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scoundrel said:

But @rackcs maybe he does have that rise and you get to say you were first/early on the train like me with Aidan Hutchinson. I trust your evaluations.

Oh yeah, I'm wrong often just like everyone else. And like I said too, I haven't done a ton of watching. I have watched a little Gonzalez but haven't really watched Cam Smith who you also mentioned. Still a ton of season left for guys to rise and fall, it's all just for fun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

Oh yeah, I'm wrong often just like everyone else. And like I said too, I haven't done a ton of watching. I have watched a little Gonzalez but haven't really watched Cam Smith who you also mentioned. Still a ton of season left for guys to rise and fall, it's all just for fun.

Richardson’s arm and Jameson’s speed assuming he retains that after injury would be a nasty combo for Detroit 

• Like 1