Rack's 2023 Mock Draft - 10th and Final Edition - 7 Rounds (4/26)

rackcs

NFL Mock 2.0 - October 14th

Round 1
1. Carolina Panthers - CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio State - I think it's extremely obvious that this pick will be a quarterback. The Panthers have been on Matt Rhule's crazy QB carousel for long enough. Right now I've got Stroud over Bryce Young just because I like Stroud's feel for the game and his mental quickness.

2. Las Vegas Raiders - Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Alabama - Strongly considered going Jalen Carter here due to a bigger need on the interior defensive line for the Raiders. Ultimately though I went with Anderson because he's just the superior talent (although not by a ton) and when you're picking at 2, you just take the best guy available.

3. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jalen Carter, INT, Georgia - Just missing out on Anderson, the Steelers still leap at the chance to take Carter here. The defensive line is getting older and older and can't rely on Cam Heyward forever. Adding Carter up front would certainly help fix the run defense as well.

4. Detroit Lions - Bryce Young, QB, Alabama - I hesitated going quarterback here because I think they can afford another year of building the team up with Goff playing decent. If Anderson or Carter was available, I might have gone with them but with both gone and a potential top quarterback in the class on the board, they make their move to grab Young.

5. Washington Commanders - Will Levis, QB, Kentucky - Much like with the Panthers, it's time for the Commanders to commit and draft their quarterback of the future rather than running through retreads. Levis isn't a sure thing but he's got all of the physical tools you'd want and had performed well in the SEC. A lot will come down to his development.

6. Houston Texans - Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson - There's a lot of directions Houston could go having two picks in the top 10 here and they start with adding Myles Murphy. The Texans have some decent rotational-type pass rushers but could stand to add a true threat at the position.

7. Atlanta Falcons - Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern - Atlanta needs help at multiple spots on their offensive line, which I think gives Skoronski the boost to be the first offensive lineman taken. There are some other prospects who maybe have more upside but Skorosnki can potentially fill multiple positions on their line, giving Atlanta flexibility as they build the group up.

8. Houston Texas (from Cleveland) - Jordan Addison, WR, USC - Houston doesn't find themselves in position to land a quarterback in this mock so they'll ride with Davis Mills and/or a veteran for another year. Addison will provide a playmaker for whoever plays for Houston next year.

9. Philadelphia Eagles (from New Orleans) - Bryan Bresee, INT, Clemson - It's almost unfair for the Eagles to look this good and still have a top 10 pick on deck. They need to add a premier talent to their defensive line, which is still effective, but aging. Bresee is an explosive force on the interior that can be a partner in the middle with Jordan Davis long term.

10. Seattle Seahawks - Nolan Smith, EDGE, Georgia - The Seahawks are another team with multiple picks in the top half of the draft and in this scenario they're going to use them to juice up the defense. Smith is the type of athlete that the Seahawks like at the position.

11. Seattle Seahawks (from Denver) - Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson - Simpson is a great modern linebacker with speed to cover all parts of the field. He'd be a great fit next to Jordyn Brooks who is more of a thumper type. Between Smith and Simpson, the Seahawks defense will get a whole lot more athletic overnight.

12. Arizona Cardinals - Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia - The Cardinals need help all over their defense so they look here to add to their secondary. There are still some good pass rushing options available but there is strong depth at that position in this class and so they take their top corner instead.

13. Detroit Lions (from LA Rams) - Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State - Jeff Okudah is finally starting to live up to his potential but unfortunately this is coinciding with Amani Oruwariye declining this season. Porter Jr. struggles against the run but has been a true lockdown corner so far this season for Penn State.

14. Cincinnati Bengals - Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia - Despite heavy investment in the offensive line this offseason, the unit has still struggled mightily. I think there's enough talent on that line to potentially come together more as the season goes on but for now they absolutely need to address the position.

15. New England Patriots - Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State - Isaiah Wynn could be gone after this season and Trent Brown is aging. The Patriots look to the future add and grab Paris Johnson Jr. After starting at other positions on the offensive line throughout his time at Ohio State, he's finally getting a shot at the left tackle position and performing well there.

16. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State - While Christian Kirk is still overpaid, he is playing well right now. Jacksonville could still stand to add more receiving talent though to support their young quarterback. Smith-Njigba isn't the most athletic guy in the draft but he has such a natural feel for the position.

17. Chicago Bears - Quentin Johnson, WR, TCU - Chicago quite frankly just needs a strong infusion of talent, especially on offense. While I don't think the new regime is sold on Justin Fields, they don't find themselves in a position to replace him here so instead they look to add a big target for him.

18. Indianapolis Colts - Cam Smith, CB, South Carolina - Stephon Gilmore is aging and on a short term deal and they could use more help at the position besides. I strongly considered going offensive line here for obvious reasons but felt like the remaining offensive tackles on the board were slight reaches. While it's possible Indianapolis could reach for the need, I had them go a different direction this time.

19. Miami Dolphins (from San Francisco) - Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame - This is perhaps an unconventional choice but I don't think the Dolphins are committed long-term to any of their tight end options. I could see Mike McDaniel wanting to try to bring in his version of George Kittle for the offense.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Antonio Johnson, S, Texas A&M - The Buccaneers are going to lose all of their safeties outside of Antoine Winfield Jr. to free agency. While they might bring some of those guys back, Tampa Bay loves to run 3 safety looks so I could definitely see them investing in the position here.

21. Los Angeles Chargers - Gervon Dexter Sr., INT, Florida - The Chargers look better against the run this season but still not great. They'll also be losing a number of defensive lineman to free agency. Dexter Sr. has really shined this season and raised his stock a little bit.

22. New York Jets - O'Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida - The Jets were an interesting pick to make because they need help at offensive tackle with Becton once again being injured. However, Alijah Vera-Tucker, a guard, has played decent at left tackle in relief. Things can change as the season goes on but for now I think it's possible they leave Vera-Tucker outside and so instead here they invest in the guard position.

23. Miami Dolphins - Forfeited

24. Green Bay Packers - Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina - This is a pick that probably won't happen but the Packers clearly need help at wide receiver and are going to lose a few of those guys to free agency as well. The wide receiver board gets a little jumbled up at this point in the first round but Downs has a lot of talent and speed.

25. Baltimore Ravens - Tyree Wilson, EDGE, Texas Tech - David Ojabo is back and practicing and it's looking likely that he'll be healthy enough to play at some point this season. If that happens, it's possible the Ravens don't consider EDGE at all. For now though, they're resorting to Jason Pierre-Paul so they're clearly hurting at the position.

26. Tennessee Titans - Jaelyn Duncan, OT, Maryland - Taylor Lewan has been injured more often than not in recent years and could ultimately retire this offseason. Regardless, they need help at both offensive tackle spots.

27. New York Giants - Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU - I'm not sure Boutte will go this high or even come out at all as he has not looked very good this year. For now his potential and past body of work keeps him clinging to the first round. The Giants are desperate for wide receiver help so they take a chance on him.

28. Dallas Cowboys - Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas - By all accounts it seems as though Ezekiel Elliott will be gone after this season while Tony Pollard will be a free agent. Robinson could easily go higher than this, as talented as he is. Running backs are just a position where sometimes they'll fall a little and that's what happened in this mock.

29. Kansas City Chiefs - Isaiah Foskey, EDGE, Notre Dame - For such a talented team, the Chiefs have a decent number of needs. I have them taking one of my best players available here with Foskey to form a long-term pass rushing duo with last year's pick George Karlaftis.

30. Minnesota Vikings - Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon - The Vikings most clear need is at the cornerback position where they desperately need some star power. I'm personally much higher on Gonzalez than this so this is good value for them. Gonzalez has great athletic tools and backs it up with great play.

31. Buffalo Bills - Brian Branch, S, Alabama - The Bills have had a lot of injury issues at the safety position and both of their starters are free agents in the next two years. The position is very important to this defense so they invest in the position here.

32. Philadelphia Eagles - Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama - I think it's very likely the Eagles would go defense again at this pick with good options still available at both EDGE and cornerback, but the idea of Gibbs in this offense is enticing. Imagining Jalen Hurts and Gibbs in the same backfield in that Eagles offense was too good to pass up.

Edited by rackcs
  • Like 1

7. Atlanta Falcons - Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern - Atlanta needs help at multiple spots on their offensive line, which I think gives Skoronski the boost to be the first offensive lineman taken. There are some other prospects who maybe have more upside but Skorosnki can potentially fill multiple positions on their line, giving Atlanta flexibility as they build the group up.

Absolutely love this pick. Skoronski probably translates best in Atlanta as a LG. Which is perfectly fine. Having Matthews - Skoronski - Dalman - Lindstrom - a re-signed McGary could be a solid enough line for this team to kill it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

Absolutely love this pick. Skoronski probably translates best in Atlanta as a LG. Which is perfectly fine. Having Matthews - Skoronski - Dalman - Lindstrom - a re-signed McGary could be a solid enough line for this team to kill it. 

Yeah I think guard would be his best fit but it's always nice to have options so his versatility is very useful. That's why even though 7th overall seems a little high for a guard, it felt like a good fit to me.

2 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Yeah I think guard would be his best fit but it's always nice to have options so his versatility is very useful. That's why even though 7th overall seems a little high for a guard, it felt like a good fit to me.

7th overall for a guy who's going to play 1000 snaps/year as a starter is perfectly fine by me. They took Lindstrom 12th overall if I'm not mistaken and that's been a great pick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rackcs said:

16. Jacksonville Jaguars - Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State - While Christian Kirk is still overpaid, he is playing well right now. Jacksonville could still stand to add more receiving talent though to support their young quarterback. Smith-Njigba isn't the most athletic guy in the draft but he has such a natural feel for the position.

I feel like the jags would take Johnston(offers something our wr corps lacks) or Meyer(top 3 tight ends are free agents).  I think Smith fits more as a Slot guy and Kirk is out slot guy. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 9:59 AM, rackcs said:

29. Kansas City Chiefs - Isaiah Foskey, EDGE, Notre Dame - For such a talented team, the Chiefs have a decent number of needs. I have them taking one of my best players available here with Foskey to form a long-term pass rushing duo with last year's pick George Karlaftis.

I like it. Other positions to consider include WR and OT.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 1:33 PM, LinderFournette said:

I feel like the jags would take Johnston(offers something our wr corps lacks) or Meyer(top 3 tight ends are free agents).  I think Smith fits more as a Slot guy and Kirk is out slot guy. 

I think Kirk and Smith-Njigba could both have versatility to play outside on any given down. I think having versatile pieces that can play multiple roles could be great for the offense. I did consider Mayer as well.

On 10/15/2022 at 11:49 PM, kingseanjohn said:

I like it. Other positions to consider include WR and OT.

Definitely considered both of those positions, I just had Foskey as BPA. The EDGE depth in this class is crazy at the top so far.

20 hours ago, 43M said:

Steelers need to trade down for a haul if they are picking top 3.    I would take Anderson, but after that I would rather see us trade down with a team like Houston or Seattle who need a QB.

It's possible if they're picking that high but I don't do trades in my mock. Ultimately I don't think it matters because I think we'll win a few more at some point and be out of the Anderson/Carter/QB worth trading up for tier.

On 10/14/2022 at 9:59 AM, rackcs said:

26. Tennessee Titans - Jaelyn Duncan, OT, Maryland - Taylor Lewan has been injured more often than not in recent years and could ultimately retire this offseason. Regardless, they need help at both offensive tackle spots.

Love the pick, but I question them winning enough playoff games to get to 26 lol

In all seriousness, it would probably get some fan backlash to spend another high pick on a tackle, but it's a critical position that they can't just let be, so it's what they need to do.  That said, I could also see them spending the pick on a skill position player, like a TE or WR if one is there worth taking, or even a stud interior OL.  Edge is also a possibility.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rackcs said:

I think Kirk and Smith-Njigba could both have versatility to play outside on any given down. I think having versatile pieces that can play multiple roles could be great for the offense. I did consider Mayer as well.

while they could Kirk has proven hes best as a Slot WR.  he primarily plays slot wr with our Zay Jones and Marvin Jones JR playing outwide.  

Current WR heights on the jags roster: Agnew(5 foot 10) Z Jones(6 foot 2) M Jones(6 foot 2) T Jones(6 foot 1) Kirk(5 foot 11) Pryor(5 foot 11).  if we add Practice squad is Austin(6 foot 2), Moore(5 foot 11), Williams(6 foot 2).   i think the jags would prefer to add a bigger framed wr with M Jones likely walking this offseason in addition to seeing how 2 big wrs have worked for Matt Ryan.  

i wouldnt be suprised if we took a IDL(we have a potential cap cut there in ROy Robertson-Harris), CB(Shaq Griffin probable cap cut), S(jenkins possible cap cut).   cant rule out a potential starting OL with LG very much a weakspot and RT(with a FA startter and fairly unproven backup)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Love the pick, but I question them winning enough playoff games to get to 26 lol

In all seriousness, it would probably get some fan backlash to spend another high pick on a tackle, but it's a critical position that they can't just let be, so it's what they need to do.  That said, I could also see them spending the pick on a skill position player, like a TE or WR if one is there worth taking, or even a stud interior OL.  Edge is also a possibility.

This is of course just based on the standings as of last week when I did the mock. I get that about fan perception but Lewan just can't stay healthy and with the Titans' cap situation looking very rough next season, I think it seems likely that Lewan could be gone. I think the Titans are going to have a lot of needs going into this offseason.

3 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

while they could Kirk has proven hes best as a Slot WR.  he primarily plays slot wr with our Zay Jones and Marvin Jones JR playing outwide.  

Current WR heights on the jags roster: Agnew(5 foot 10) Z Jones(6 foot 2) M Jones(6 foot 2) T Jones(6 foot 1) Kirk(5 foot 11) Pryor(5 foot 11).  if we add Practice squad is Austin(6 foot 2), Moore(5 foot 11), Williams(6 foot 2).   i think the jags would prefer to add a bigger framed wr with M Jones likely walking this offseason in addition to seeing how 2 big wrs have worked for Matt Ryan.  

i wouldnt be suprised if we took a IDL(we have a potential cap cut there in ROy Robertson-Harris), CB(Shaq Griffin probable cap cut), S(jenkins possible cap cut).   cant rule out a potential starting OL with LG very much a weakspot and RT(with a FA startter and fairly unproven backup)

Definitely a lot of routes to go for the Jaguars. I like what they've got going on defense and I still believe in Lawrence but there's still a lot of work to be done before they can be consistent winners.

Just now, rackcs said:

This is of course just based on the standings as of last week when I did the mock. I get that about fan perception but Lewan just can't stay healthy and with the Titans' cap situation looking very rough next season, I think it seems likely that Lewan could be gone. I think the Titans are going to have a lot of needs going into this offseason.

Fan perception shouldn't matter, but I don't think it would be because they'd be mad about replacing Lewan, they'd be made about a high pick spent at tackle for the fourth year in a row.

But it's like, you can't just ignore the second most important position on offense because of some busts.

Unless they sign one in free agency, of course.  In which case they still may take an OL in the first.  NPF looks like he'll be a solid right tackle, but Nate Davis is a free agent (RG), and Ben Jones is great, but due to fall off a cliff at any moment from age (C).  Picking almost any OL in the first round as a plug and play starter makes a ton of sense to me.  The 2023 draft for the Titans should be one hundred percent about getting the support that Malik Willis needs to be a good QB in the NFL.

• Like 1

I can definitely see the OL being in play for the Bengals, but the line is starting to play better.  Having 4 new parts was never going to make a easy transition for the start of this season, and it happened.  

If they don't go OL, I would look to the following possibilities:

1.  Jaxon Smith-Njigba.   Yeah, we are top heavy at WR, but can't afford to keep all three long term.  My guess is that they keep Chase and Higgins long term, and unless Boyd can somehow be squeezed in, they look for depth this draft with an eye on the future starting slot WR

2.  Isaiah Fosky.  Or any other DE for that matter.  Hendrickson is the only guy who gets consistent pressure.  Hubbard is great at setting the edge.  We do have Ossai developing, but if a top guy slips, I can see them pulling the trigger.

3.  Any of the top CBs.  

4.  Michael Mayer.  We need a long term fix at TE, and depending on if they keep Hurst or see Mayer as a top flight guy, I could see it.  Just not sure he's that explosive.

For me, it depends on the board, but looking to the next draft, the top players at our positions of projected need will be in abundance, so I would consider trading out this year for a second and '24 first.  

Great pick for the Falcons as he is one of my top 4 guys i want in this draft and would be a great pickup for our O-line to continue making it a strength.   Although sadly im not sure we will continue to be that bad to pick in the top 7 or so the rest of the year to get him.      If we draft later than this going forward and he is already gone then the positions and guys im looking at for us i think are 

DL - Smith or Dexter SR
DB - Ringo or Porter
OL - Jones or Johnson

Think that would be my main targets right now  although if we end up doing bad going forward then im all for  these 5 guys in the top 5 in order

Will Anderson JR (#1 guy in draft for me and big need)
Jalen Carter
Skoronski
Murphy
Stroud or Young  whichever falls to us at 5 to 7 and those top 4 guys are gone.