Rack's 2023 Mock Draft - 10th and Final Edition - 7 Rounds (4/26)

rackcs

Just now, scar988 said:

Love it. I think he's more of a DL for us, but I love the pick as a piece for the front 7.

Great pick. Needs some veteran mentorship, but would be a good CB2 for us.

I like this. I don't think the Falcons need a C (more LG than C), but he would be an interesting fit here.

I probably would have gone guard over center if I felt the value was there at that point. I guess maybe Bergeron with an eye to moving him inside could've made sense too. I do like Dalman, just got a sense that Falcons fans felt he could be upgraded if an opportunity arose.

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

I probably would have gone guard over center if I felt the value was there at that point. I guess maybe Bergeron with an eye to moving him inside could've made sense too. I do like Dalman, just got a sense that Falcons fans felt he could be upgraded if an opportunity arose.

He could definitely be upgraded. But I could also see them going WR there as well. Just depends. They do need a WR2.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

A pretty solid Commanders draft. I like Banks better than Porter, but I am fine with it. We did meet with him. Losing Kincaid 2 picks before Musgrave stings, but it's solid. To'o To'o that late in the third is good imo. 

Funny because I prefer Porter to Banks and want the Steelers to take Porter. I guess just flip them in our heads and we'll both be happy.

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

Funny because I prefer Porter to Banks and want the Steelers to take Porter. I guess just flip them in our heads and we'll both be happy.

I think Banks fits the scheme of Washington a little better. We don't play as much press at times, and I love Porter for that. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Lions:

1. Christian Gonzalez CB
  2. Calijah Kancey DT
  3. Cody Mauch OT
  4. Hendon Hooker QB
  5. Zach Harrison DE

While each of these guys are good players and I could see the Lions interest, I would be severely underwhelmed if this is what they did with 5 top 81 picks. 

What specifically would underwhelm you about it. Is it just not being a fan of Kancey? Because I can understand that. Outside of him though if you're out due to size, I think that's a solid haul.

9 hours ago, RedGold said:

Too early for a TE,  but I like the other picks.  

I've been told not to sleep on the Chiefs picking a TE so I thought I'd go that way this time to shake it up. Seems there might be somewhat of a divided opinion. Plus I do really just love Sam LaPorta.

3 hours ago, rackcs said:

What specifically would underwhelm you about it. Is it just not being a fan of Kancey? Because I can understand that. Outside of him though if you're out due to size, I think that's a solid haul.

I like Gonzalez and there's a definite role for him. 

Kancey is good, but not an impact DT IMO. But solid. He'd definitely be DT3 on the roster barring any other move, but we have EDGE guys we move inside that would limit his playing time. 

I like Cody Mauch and I think he could sit and wait to replace Decker later down the road. I don't see a role for him the next two seasons.

Hendon Hooker can sit behind Goff for 1-2 yrs and heal with no rush to play him, but by the time he's ready he'll be 27-28 yrs old. 

Zach Harrison is a solid DE but he's not a game changer and probably our 5th/6th DE on the team. I don't getting any real time until 2 yrs down the road when contracts end in front of him.

That's a lot of players to sit and wait for 2 years. Individually, I can see the potential in stashing a guy, but not 4 of your top 5 draft picks. When you have a team in desperate need of defensive upgrades, that's alot of value just sitting and not contributing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Louis Friend said:

I like Gonzalez and there's a definite role for him. 

Kancey is good, but not an impact DT IMO. But solid. He'd definitely be DT3 on the roster barring any other move, but we have EDGE guys we move inside that would limit his playing time. 

I like Cody Mauch and I think he could sit and wait to replace Decker later down the road. I don't see a role for him the next two seasons.

Hendon Hooker can sit behind Goff for 1-2 yrs and heal with no rush to play him, but by the time he's ready he'll be 27-28 yrs old. 

Zach Harrison is a solid DE but he's not a game changer and probably our 5th/6th DE on the team. I don't getting any real time until 2 yrs down the road when contracts end in front of him.

That's a lot of players to sit and wait for 2 years. Individually, I can see the potential in stashing a guy, but not 4 of your top 5 draft picks. When you have a team in desperate need of defensive upgrades, that's alot of value just sitting and not contributing. 

I actually definitely agree with your point about Hooker where he's going to be an older rookie so he's not really the type you want sitting for a while. As for Mauch though, I think there's a very clear role for him now where he can play guard and then either slide out or stay inside later on.

As for the rest of your point, you shouldn't really be counting on any non-round 1 player to come in and contribute right away, it's just not realistic. It's nice when you get a 3rd rounder who can come in and contribute right away but if your expectation for a 3rd round pick is instant impact then you need to recalibrate your thinking. I don't think any NFL teams are drafting with the intent of all of their guys starting right away.

3 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I actually definitely agree with your point about Hooker where he's going to be an older rookie so he's not really the type you want sitting for a while. As for Mauch though, I think there's a very clear role for him now where he can play guard and then either slide out or stay inside later on.

As for the rest of your point, you shouldn't really be counting on any non-round 1 player to come in and contribute right away, it's just not realistic. It's nice when you get a 3rd rounder who can come in and contribute right away but if your expectation for a 3rd round pick is instant impact then you need to recalibrate your thinking. I don't think any NFL teams are drafting with the intent of all of their guys starting right away.

I don't need them to start, but I expect at least a few to contribute. We are basically sitting 4 guys for two seasons. We aren't a deep enough team yet to be in a position where that is acceptable. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 9:36 AM, rackcs said:

6 Detroit Lions (from LA Rams) Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon

With the signing of Sutton and Mosley, I don't know if the Lions would address CB this early in the draft. I like Gonzalez a lot but it now opens up other positions are larger positions of need. I'd probably consider Tyree Wilson here instead. 

18 Detroit Lions Calijah Kancey, INT, Pittsburgh

We absolutely need interior DL help. Kancey is a good player and does help to address a big need. I'd like if he was a bit bigger but it is what it is. 

48 Detroit Lions Cody Mauch, OG, North Dakota State

I can't really take issue here. I'd like to address the OL long term. Vaitai isn't it. I'm probably more in favour of Schmitz out of Minnesota with the OG/OC flexibility but I like the addition overall. 

55 Detroit Lions (from Minnesota) Hendon Hooker, QB, Tennessee

I want nothing to do with Hendon Hooker for the Lions. He was a really good college player and seems like a great guy. He's coming off a major injury and he's going to be 26 years old as a rookie. Not a lot of players have a long, successful playing career when they have to redshirt their rookie year due to injury. 

I'd take Emmanuel Forbes here. He has elite level ball skills. He's light but you can work on that a bit. 

81 Detroit Lions Zach Harrison, EDGE, Ohio State

This could go several different ways. Battle would be a nice addition to the S room and is a versatile guy; Overshown could be a LB target; Tucker at RB or Kuntz at TE could also be nice additions. 

• Like 1