The Other Games Thread Week 1

Iron_man

14 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Something that caught my eye. Jefferson has the viking colors on his cleat at the toes. Sneaky bastard. Smart cookie!!! It can sway a sideline catch!!!

Imagine having him on this roster, yikes that man is amazing. Truly dominant player. 

Pats look like they could get lucky with Watt/Harris potentially out next week as well

37 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Imagine having him on this roster, yikes that man is amazing. Truly dominant player. 

Pats look like they could get lucky with Watt/Harris potentially out next week as well

Just thinks he was the 2nd WR on LSU behind Chase!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!

14 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Carr isn't the guy.. he is going to ride Adams and show the world that he isn't good

Staley is going to hold back the Chargers forever.. and I love Herbert.. he needs a better non analytics coach. Analytics are fun but they aren't the end all be all 

Just think, BB has gone with analytics to some extent. Groh. IMO that is the major reason for drafting Strange, Thorton and  Pierre Strong. I'm not saying analytics is terrible but as you mentioned stats can't be the end all be all when it comes to football.

Note

Did you see the Charger coach again look like a fool. Going for it on his what 30 yard line!!!!! Fail

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

Just think, BB has gone with analytics to some extent. Groh. IMO that is the major reason for drafting Strange, Thorton and  Pierre Strong. I'm not saying analytics is terrible but as you mentioned stats can't be the end all be all when it comes to football.

That's actually a great thing imo. The front office is where I want the analytics.. bring the coaches players with elite physical talent and let them turn them into elite players. I'm very excited for Thornton and Strong.. they bring a different dimension of speed to this offense they haven't had. 

I'm also just as excited for next offseason.. give Groh another draft to add 1 more elite physical talent at WR (along with OL) and I'll feel much better about the offense. 

X - Thornton / Parker combo compliment each other very well 

Slot - day 2 slot ( Sky Moore type or similar), I love Meyers like everyone else.. but unfortunately it feels like they will never be able to take the offense to the next level using him as a crutch. He can't be your #1 target.. #3 sure.. but not #1. 

Z- Bourne (They better let him play next week!) 

4 hours ago, m haynes said:

Note

Did you see the Charger coach again look like a fool. Going for it on his what 30 yard line!!!!! Fail

Yup.. he is weekly episode of when analytics go wrong

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Z- Bourne (They better let him play next week!)

Yes! After that like 40 yard catch on that 1st and 10 from the 12 yard line to put us at the opposite 43 yard line. Good job Bourne. Then like the next play freaking Agholor coughs up the ball.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Iron_man said:

Yes! After that like 40 yard catch on that 1st and 10 from the 12 yard line to put us at the opposite 43 yard line. Good job Bourne. Then like the next play freaking Agholor coughs up the ball.

Yup, I love Bourne's game.. and am insanely curious as to what happened to get him in the doghouse. He isn't as fast as Agholor but he's much more electric. I can only imagine it relates to the new offense.. he comes from the Shannahan system and is going to be the first guy telling Patricia if he is teaching it wrong lol BB would HATE that .. but he seems like such a happy, team guy that I'm surprised if he even did that. 

Bourne and Smith should be doing end arounds, screens, gadget stuff.. etc. They are good YAC guys, and when you've got a QB like Mac.. you want to focus on YAC. Thornton could help there too if he stays healthy .. Agholor could be that guy but he's just so inconsistent I want nothing to do with him. 

The guys who I don't feel fit this "new" system are: Henry and Meyers. Both guys are safety valve guys.. they aren't YAC guys. They aren't explosive in anyway, just reliable guys to have on the team. Mac will be mad, but the best thing that could happen to this offense long term is Meyers having a huge garbage stats year, gets a big contract in free agency and the Patriots are forced to use another 2nd round pick on a WR. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

bring the coaches

This is the big question. I do not see Matty P and Joe Judge bringing out the best of the players.  They were complete failure when they were head coach.  Now if you had Judge on ST different story. I never liked Matty P even when he was a defensive coach.

Also I question the defensive coaches as well. How times they going to have, to many guys penalty.

I will never agree to draft a OG in the 1st RD based on him physical stats.  There a reason the Rams coach and GM cracked up on the pick. I don't believe there excuse. There response was based on BB made the pick, respect.  You can see the change in the Rams coach when he ask who made the pick.

3 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Strong

Throwing dart this time in the draft. I love the speed and he had numbers however this was in a simple offense a what ( I hate taking players from lower level schools) level 3 school.  Speed is useless if he can't grasp the passing offense and can't block. Blocking was a weakness coming out which is red flag. And  based on camp doesn't have a clue with the passing game, but again he's a 4th RD and he has that one thing you can't teach.

Last I think the coaching staff lacks experience to me this is a failure on BB. He refuses to bring other coaches with experience also he has the smallest staff in the NFL which baffles me if he promotes within.  Flores and Josh took what 100 coaches with them!!!!

** Lower level schools.  Ex  Dugger over Anthony Winfield. I'm sorry but we needed a McCourty replacement not another guy that can on play the box.  I like Dugger however I loved Winfield coming out who was a 1st team All American at a major conference.

1 hour ago, Iron_man said:

Agholor coughs up the ball.

This drive me crazy. He has been a major disappointment. MOF he stinks!!! Now you have Bourne who was a major steal putting up numbers and is bench cause he what complained about this trash offense.

BB is two faced. His crap about we put the best guys out there who give us the best chance to win, bull crap. Remember when Steverson fumbles he was benched for what 3 games!!!!  I bet Bourne is not dressed next week and bust Agholor starts!!!

PS  BB at the press conference. Did you see it, he put a pencil deliberately behind his ear . You lost and this is what you do!!! What a ****, is he in the 6th grade !!!!

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

This is the big question. I do not see Matty P and Joe Judge bringing out the best of the players.  They were complete failure when they were head coach.  Now if you had Judge on ST different story. I never liked Matty P even when he was a defensive coach.

Plenty of failed HC are good coordinators, I don't worry about that. 

Matty P was an OL player in college and started coaching OL.. sure it was 10 years ago but he has some experience. He had all of last year to help on both sides of the ball then ~6 months to get ready to be back on the offense when Josh left. I don't worry about him coaching the OL... especially because it's a collaborative effort with Billy Yates as well. 

Judge was great on special teams.. but he was a QB in college and it seems obvious he wants to be the OC. Transitioning him to QB coach makes sense. A question I would have.. isn't Special Team Coordinator kind of a transitional role? Do a lot of guys stay Special Teams forever? Or is it a way to prove yourself.. didn't BB start as a Special Teams Coordinator? I may be wrong on that one

Nick Caley is the confusing one.. but the fact he didn't resign makes sense that BB wouldn't want to invest in him for the season. Why he didn't resign is more of a question though.. and if he doesn't want someone here for just one year.. you can kiss Bill O'Brien coming back goodbye .. if he comes I doubt he would be here more than 1-2 years. BB would probably need some kind of guarantee that he will stay here until BB retires. 

Also I question the defensive coaches as well. How times they going to have, to many guys penalty.

Defensive coaches are the least of my concern .. I think they actually have a really good defensive coaching staff overall. The pass rush didn't hit home quite as much as you'd hope but they've been a good defense for awhile now. I like Stephen as play caller a heck of a lot more than Matty P.

I will never agree to draft a OG in the 1st RD based on him physical stats.  There a reason the Rams coach and GM cracked up on the pick. I don't believe there excuse. There response was based on BB made the pick, respect.  You can see the change in the Rams coach when he ask who made the pick.

1) I hated that pick

2) I believe BB made him take an OG, but Groh probably said he was going to take his guy then and trade back to do it

3) As far as the circumstances were.. I think Strange has played well .. I have no complaints with him as a player. 

4) PFF believes he had the best pass blocking grade of the entire OL .. Trent Brown was the only awful OL yesterday. Strange isn't a problem. 

Throwing dart this time in the draft. I love the speed and he had numbers however this was in a simple offense a what ( I hate taking players from lower level schools) level 3 school.  Speed is useless if he can't grasp the passing offense and can't block. Blocking was a weakness coming out which is red flag. And  based on camp doesn't have a clue with the passing game, but again he's a 4th RD and he has that one thing you can't teach.

Strong is a classic 3rd down back redshirt. 

James White didn't look like a HOF his rookie year then became what he is. In the 4th round you 100% go for potential imo ... and Strong has a chance to be a dynamic player out of the backfield. 

Picture this scenario for next season: Mac goes in the spread and had Thornton, Bourne, Strong, Smith, and one more 4.3 WR they draft ... that's A LOT of speed/ YAC ability that most defenses in the league will not be able to handle.

Last I think the coaching staff lacks experience to me this is a failure on BB. He refuses to bring other coaches with experience also he has the smallest staff in the NFL which baffles me if he promotes within.  Flores and Josh took what 100 coaches with them!!!!

This is going to be interesting long term.. with the number of coaches which have left.. will we ever see more veterans added? They've certainly signed multiple coaches but they are all young guys who are going to need a few years to really make an impact. 

** Lower level schools.  Ex  Dugger over Anthony Winfield. I'm sorry but we needed a McCourty replacement not another guy that can on play the box.  I like Dugger however I loved Winfield coming out who was a 1st team All American at a major conference.

- I also loved Winfield, but McCourty has stuck around a lot longer than expected .. this has to be his last year though, right? Will be interesting to see how they replace him. I have a strange feeling Jon Jones could be moved to FS but what do I know. They could decide to draft someone because this is supposed to be a great safety draft but they don't really have any FS 

- In the draft I worry about hits and misses, Dugger is a hit imo so I won't worry so much about who they could have taken. Dugger is a huge part of this defense now. 

Edited by Crimmage
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Plenty of failed HC are good coordinators, I don't worry about that. 

Matty P was an OL player in college and started coaching OL.. sure it was 10 years ago but he has some experience. He had all of last year to help on both sides of the ball then ~6 months to get ready to be back on the offense when Josh left. I don't worry about him coaching the OL... especially because it's a collaborative effort with Billy Yates as well. 

Judge was great on special teams.. but he was a QB in college and it seems obvious he wants to be the OC. Transitioning him to QB coach makes sense. A question I would have.. isn't Special Team Coordinator kind of a transitional role? Do a lot of guys stay Special Teams forever? Or is it a way to prove yourself.. didn't BB start as a Special Teams Coordinator? I may be wrong on that one

I can't agree hear. There is nothing that they have done (NFL) to qualify for the jobs. This offense has been a hot mess since the beginning.  I think it crazy for a NFL team to be training coaches during the season. It nuts when you have a 2nd yr QB.  This team has missed simply blocks all year and we can afford to lose Mac. We are lucky if he's not seriously injured. I don't believe the crap with his conference call. He was told by BB to say he's fine. If this continues Mac confidence will suffer and he will  be looking over his shoulder.  I have seen this with Jim Plunkett and Tony Eason.

This is a complete failure and I don't see this getting much better.

50 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

James White didn't look like a HOF his rookie

Yes but he came from a big time program and new how to block. The competition gave him a big advantage over Strong. Again its a 4th Rd pick. IMO to early.

53 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

They've certainly signed multiple coaches but they are all young guys who are going to need a few years to really make an impact. 

This is a major problem for me. It sets the Pats up for failure. This tell me there is no long term plan. BB 70 and he's gone once he breaks Shula record and the Pats are left with zip. If I'm Kraft I would ask BB what his plan when he leaves. Will you have someone in the ranks to take over. The answer better not be any of the coaches there NOW!!!

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Dugger is a huge part of this defense now. 

He is limited that's his problem. I wouldn't have a problem drafting him if we has McCourty replacement. Winfield was the obvious choice but it Bill being Bill. Also Cole Kmet was still on the board!!! We had no TE.  Dugger position was not a big need at that time.  What does Bill do waste a 100 choices on two bust. Dalton Frigging Keane!!!! I watch one pass to him and new he couldn't catch a cold.

He's done this before we need WRs, he draft none, we desperately need TE none it so bad he takes 2 bust the next year wasting a ton off draft capital.

20 minutes ago, m haynes said:

If I'm Kraft I would ask BB what his plan when he leaves. Will you have someone in the ranks to take over. The answer better not be any of the coaches there NOW!!!

He's either staying until Steve is ready... or he told Kraft MattyP is the answer 😢

BB needs 2 more years to beat Shula right? Assuming average years? .. it's possible that Mayo sticks around 2 more years and gets the job. Players seem to love him and he could be the next Vrabel for all we know. Out of everyone in the organization I'd give it to Mayo .. or maybe try to get Flores back. Both of those options seem realistic, great motivators and command respect. Find yourself a young, hotshot OC and you'll do fine. 

8 hours ago, Crimmage said:

He's either staying until Steve is ready... or he told Kraft MattyP is the answer 😢

BB needs 2 more years to beat Shula right? Assuming average years? .. it's possible that Mayo sticks around 2 more years and gets the job. Players seem to love him and he could be the next Vrabel for all we know. Out of everyone in the organization I'd give it to Mayo .. or maybe try to get Flores back. Both of those options seem realistic, great motivators and command respect. Find yourself a young, hotshot OC and you'll do fine. 

If I'm Kraft I'm looking outside the current coaching staff.  I can't judge Groh because BB is in the process when drafting and I'm not sure how he would do with BB gone. I know one thing if he interviews and said he would keep the same staff and hire within he would be out the door.  This is the new NFL and you need a creative offensive mind or a defensive guy who hires a someone to run his offense.

The guy I would be watching is the OC for the Bills. He's young knows football, worked under Dabold and you hurt the Bills as well taking their coaches!!! I do like Flores however I'm not sure because he might keep the current staff, maybe not he could bring in his guys and add to the current staff.