Around the league Talk 2022-23

KingTitan

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

I just think, overall, if the front office was sitting at #2 and loved Mariota...then even declining that trade was an understandable move. 

Yeah they believed he was a franchise QB. He had the making of it. His skills just didn't match to me. But everything else about him, leadership, willing to work and intangibles were all there. 

I understand too. You believe you got a franchise QB then you take him. 

He and Winston were the QB's. Similar to Young and Stroud. 
You don't get that high of a draft pick and pass on the QB. 

3 hours ago, TwoToneBlue said:

The 1 year deal territory is even worse for Titans. Very difficult to recall a free agent WR that increased their value playing for the Titans. If I was a free agent receiver, I wouldn't choose Tennessee.

I feel very confident that is a major factor.  However, if they come in and block, then they could have an NWI role for years!!!! lol

I just keep coming back to one question. What’s the point? Genuinely, what’s the point of this season? Say we give Tannehill a receiving group of Burks, NWI and a rookie. And then combine it with this OL, which will be better than last year but still not good. What are we winking with that? What are we accomplishing?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, titans0021 said:

I just keep coming back to one question. What’s the point? Genuinely, what’s the point of this season? Say we give Tannehill a receiving group of Burks, NWI and a rookie. And then combine it with this OL, which will be better than last year but still not good. What are we winking with that? What are we accomplishing?

What did you expect/want to happen this offseason?

5 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

What did you expect/want to happen this offseason?

I think the overarching issue is it doesn't feel clear what they even want to do. If they're ok with just losing this year and getting a high pick, why are Tannehill and Henry still here?

If the idea is to compete and be a playoff team, why are we literally pinching pennies?

Tannehill and Henry with our defense likely still being at least decent Probably nets us another 5-7 win season just like this past season. And that just feels utterly pointless.

17 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I think the overarching issue is it doesn't feel clear what they even want to do. If they're ok with just losing this year and getting a high pick, why are Tannehill and Henry still here?

If the idea is to compete and be a playoff team, why are we literally pinching pennies?

Tannehill and Henry with our defense likely still being at least decent Probably nets us another 5-7 win season just like this past season. And that just feels utterly pointless.

I think it’s clear what we want to do

trim the general fat on this team, specifically guys who can’t stay on the field or aren’t living up to the $

(likely) give Simmons a huge deal 

Fill in starter roles on (mostly) young FA acquisitions on what are essentially prove it deals 

tbd what we do in the draft, but adding a young WR early seems smart and likely 

ultimately try to stay somewhat competitive during the season 

and put us in better financial positioning next year 

vrabel is never going to tank. If folks have problems with trying to stay competitive (when it’s obvious this is a 8 win team at MAXXX), i get it. But I ask the question so so so many asked in January “if we get rid of Tannehill, who’s the better option?”

so I just kinda don’t know what ppl expected or wanted. It’s like…save from blowing this all up (which I don’t recall many wanting two months ago)…people weren’t going to be happy 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I think it’s clear what we want to do

trim the general fat on this team, specifically guys who can’t stay on the field or aren’t living up to the $

(likely) give Simmons a huge deal 

Fill in starter roles on (mostly) young FA acquisitions on what are essentially prove it deals 

tbd what we do in the draft, but adding a young WR early seems smart and likely 

ultimately try to stay somewhat competitive during the season 

and put us in better financial positioning next year 

vrabel is never going to tank. If folks have problems with trying to stay competitive (when it’s obvious this is a 8 win team at MAXXX), i get it. But I ask the question so so so many asked in January “if we get rid of Tannehill, who’s the better option?”

so I just kinda don’t know what ppl expected or wanted. It’s like…save from blowing this all up (which I don’t recall many wanting two months ago)…people weren’t going to be happy 

The point of sticking with Tannehill would be to try and make another run. In which case, the idea should be to surround him with talent. We've improved the OL a bit but given him no better passing options and even lose Hilliard who was our only receiving back, and Hooper who while inconsistent was one of the only occasional bright spots in the passing game.

Vrabel I'm sure doesn't want to tank. But even he can't lift this god awful offensive roster to the playoffs. And Ran doesn't seem to particularly care that it sucks given he isn't willing to spend any money on it.

Which again if the idea is just lose, cool. But actually lose. Don't let Tannehill and Henry carry these offensive scraps to 7 wins again. The hell are we accomplishing in that case? Because unless the plan is to sign Tannehill to an extension after this season, we won't have a quarterback in 2024 and we won't be picking high enough to get any of the top end talent. Henry will be another year older and slower.

We'd be looking at 2024 being another mediocre at absolute best season, and probably worse given the whole no QB and worse Henry thing.

The expectation is to commit to something. Lose if you're gonna lose. Go all in if you're gonna try to go on another run.

This sit in the middle **** is dumb.

10 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

The point of sticking with Tannehill would be to try and make another run. In which case, the idea should be to surround him with talent. We've improved the OL a bit but given him no better passing options and even lose Hilliard who was our only receiving back, and Hooper who while inconsistent was one of the only occasional bright spots in the passing game.

Vrabel I'm sure doesn't want to tank. But even he can't lift this god awful offensive roster to the playoffs. And Ran doesn't seem to particularly care that it sucks given he isn't willing to spend any money on it.

Which again if the idea is just lose, cool. But actually lose. Don't let Tannehill and Henry carry these offensive scraps to 7 wins again. The hell are we accomplishing in that case? Because unless the plan is to sign Tannehill to an extension after this season, we won't have a quarterback in 2024 and we won't be picking high enough to get any of the top end talent. Henry will be another year older and slower.

We'd be looking at 2024 being another mediocre at absolute best season, and probably worse given the whole no QB and worse Henry thing.

The expectation is to commit to something. Lose if you're gonna lose. Go all in if you're gonna try to go on another run.

This sit in the middle **** is dumb.

Who could we have reasonably acquired if we were going to go all-in on another run? JRob tried and failed at that multiple times, got FLEECED by Philly while trading our best player, and left us crippled financially and from a personnel standping.

If we signed Jakobi Myers, Mecole Hardman and kept Hooper...is that going all-in? What great passing options were really out there for the taking? Lazard made the most sense for us, and he was NY bound the second Aaron came out of the darkness. Don't get me wrong...I was hoping we'd made a move for a WR and envy the Chark deal...but a 1st/2nd round WR in the draft will appease me.

On the other hand, we could've gone into the season with the intent to tank (never going to happen, esp w/ a first year GM who is replacing a guy that got fired because the team wasn't winning...that's not the message anyone is gonna send to AAS) and moved on from Tannehill and Henry. Thus putting ourselves in the complete crapshoot for draft position and dealing with a myriad of unknowns.

So I think what we're doing is sensible right now, esp if the Simmons deal gets done. We're making some decent steps at fixing the personnel and financial mess that JRob put us in, even if it ultimately means we "sit in the middle". This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Question for you...how did more or less sitting in the middle fare for Philly and KC? Who are the teams among the NFL's elite that just straight up TANKED and are now sitting pretty? Felt like Cincy (and I'll even throw Jax in the convo) were just run by absolute incompetent clowns, versus went into a season by stripping their team to the bones.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Who could we have reasonably acquired if we were going to go all-in on another run? JRob tried and failed at that multiple times, got FLEECED by Philly while trading our best player, and left us crippled financially and from a personnel standping.

If we signed Jakobi Myers, Mecole Hardman and kept Hooper...is that going all-in? What great passing options were really out there for the taking? Lazard made the most sense for us, and he was NY bound the second Aaron came out of the darkness. Don't get me wrong...I was hoping we'd made a move for a WR and envy the Chark deal...but a 1st/2nd round WR in the draft will appease me.

On the other hand, we could've gone into the season with the intent to tank (never going to happen, esp w/ a first year GM who is replacing a guy that got fired because the team wasn't winning...that's not the message anyone is gonna send to AAS) and moved on from Tannehill and Henry. Thus putting ourselves in the complete crapshoot for draft position and dealing with a myriad of unknowns.

So I think what we're doing is sensible right now, esp if the Simmons deal gets done. We're making some decent steps at fixing the personnel and financial mess that JRob put us in, even if it ultimately means we "sit in the middle". This is a marathon, not a sprint.

Question for you...how did more or less sitting in the middle fare for Philly and KC? Who are the teams among the NFL's elite that just straight up TANKED and are now sitting pretty? Felt like Cincy (and I'll even throw Jax in the convo) were just run by absolute incompetent clowns, versus went into a season by stripping their team to the bones.

this whole narrative that has somehow taken hold on this board this offseason of “tank or go all in” like every team has to do one or the other is so completely divorced from reality lol. like yeah dj chark was the guy who was gonna push us over the top, totally man. we have a severe talent deficit and we’re up against the cap, so we’re making the moves we can. teams have middling/transition years all the time, idk why this is coming as a surprise to people. 

additionally what a lot of people don’t seem to understand is that individual players never want to tank because it hurts their careers! these guys are trying to show out so they can earn their next contract and if you just surround them with crap and make it clear you’re not even trying, what do you think that’s going to do to not only the immediate locker room but to the organization’s reputation as a destination for players? you can’t just take a mulligan on an entire season and expect to be able to wipe the slate clean the next year without repercussions.

• Like 2