NBA Expansion thread

beekay414

Rumors are circulating that Seattle and Vegas are going to be announced as the next NBA franchises during the preseason when current teams play in each city.

In 2004, when the Bobcats expansion happened, teams were able to protect 8 players. That was the same format as the 1988 expansion draft for the Heat and Hornets, so I'd imagine they won't venture off it. Who are the 8 current players you'd protect from your team?

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Memphis and New Orleans?

Either New Orleans or Minnesota.  I think I'd probably give a slight edge to Minnesota.  Geographically speaking, Minnesota is closer to multiple Eastern Conference teams than it is closer to any Western Conference teams.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Either New Orleans or Minnesota.  I think I'd probably give a slight edge to Minnesota.  Geographically speaking, Minnesota is closer to multiple Eastern Conference teams than it is closer to any Western Conference teams.

One of the suggestions I saw was to move Minnesota to the East and then have 4 divisions of 4 teams in each conference. 

Western Conference 

Pacific: Lakers, Clippers, Suns, Las Vegas

Northwest: Warriors, Blazers, Kings, Seattle

Mountain: Jazz, Nuggets, Grizzles, Thunder

Southwest: Rockets, Mavericks, Pelicans, Spurs

Eastern Conference 

Atlantic: Celtics, Nets, Knicks, Raptors

North: Bulls, Wolves, Bucks, Pistons

Southeast: Heat, Hornets, Hawks, Magic

Central: 76ers, Wizards, Cavaliers, Pacers

On 9/10/2022 at 1:15 AM, CWood21 said:

Lakers wouldn't have anyone to leave unprotected.

31 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Cavs 

garland 

Mitchell 

Mobley

allen

Everyone else will be a FA by then. 

For the sake of the exercise, just take 8 from your current team regardless of contract status. I did it with a few Bucks.

Cavs - Darius Garland, Donovan Mitchell, Evan Mobley, Jarrett Allen, Isaac Okoro for sure. After that it's a toss up for the long term, but if the draft was TODAY? Kevin Love, Caris Levert, and... Dean Wade. If I thought an expansion team would steal him, I'd protect Rubio over Wade for sure. But we're moving into the period of the team's life where we will need young, quality backups on cheap contracts like Wade. I think an expansion team would love to grab him for the bottom of their roster. Whereas I think with Rubio's age and health he would go untouched.

• Like 1