2023 NFL draft thread

Forge

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Putting aside QB, i'd put our needs as follows (no specific order)

-TE 

-WR (always need one)

-RT

-DE (Only Bosa & Jackson are currently signed long-term)

-DT 

-FS

And of course depth in general gets churned out every year, but we do a good job at filling it out with late rounders/UDFA/bargain bin FA's

If i had to guess, a WR or TE would be our 1st pick. The only obvious need on that list is FS and RT with Gipson/Ward and McGlinchey as FA's. I'd guess we sign those as our FA splash, or re-sign those players

Bosa needs to be extended. Wonder if we'll extend Aiyuk. He's good, but thats a lot of money in the skill positions

Of course, things can change between today and the end of the season. And its going to be interesting navigating this offseason with no picks until the 3rd round 

I would imagine C is at the top or right there with RT. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Excluding QB, my top needs 

1. C

2. RT

3. DT

4. DE

5. WR 

6. LB

Think McGlinchey, Armstead, Kinlaw, Al-Shair & Ward all walk/get traded/cut in the offseason. Brendel stays on as a backup, Brunskill/Burford probably compete for RG next TC

Armstead & Kinlaw aren't going anywhere, no one will take on AA's contract, he's virtually uncuttable, same with Kinlaw, the rest I agree with, MM, Al-Shaair, Ward are likely gone, which is fine, I like Brendel to stay, same with Gipson.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

Armstead & Kinlaw aren't going anywhere, no one will take on AA's contract, he's virtually uncuttable, same with Kinlaw, the rest I agree with, MM, Al-Shaair, Ward are likely gone, which is fine, I like Brendel to stay, same with Gipson.

I thought we had reached the point where Armstead's contract would have less dead cap. Did he restructure his deal?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I thought we had reached the point where Armstead's contract would have less dead cap. Did he restructure his deal?

Yes, this year. 

The deal isn't underwater, but they only save like 2 million as a non june 1 cut so there's really no reason to do it. 

Kinlaw only saves money if traded and that also is only like 2 million. His cap hit is less than 5 next year, so no reason to move on there either. They may turn down his option, but like Solly, he's going to get the full 4 year run unless someone offered a comparable player that we would prefer...like, would the Jets and 49ers swap Kinlaw for Becton? The jets probably wouldn't, but its the only type of deal I can see the 49ers making when it comes to Kinlaw...maybe the Dolphins and Austin Jackson. 

• Like 2

I get why people like him, but I'm not going to lie, when I watch CJ Stroud play, I am often underwhelmed. It really feels like there is something often missing...I just don't know if that's a Stroud thing, or a Ryan Day thing.  People are going to compare him to Fields because of the OSU thing, but that's a bad comp because Stroud is so much better from within the pocket. 

I do think Bryce Young should 100% be the #1 overall pick despite the size. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I get why people like him, but I'm not going to lie, when I watch CJ Stroud play, I am often underwhelmed. It really feels like there is something often missing...I just don't know if that's a Stroud thing, or a Ryan Day thing.  People are going to compare him to Fields because of the OSU thing, but that's a bad comp because Stroud is so much better from within the pocket. 

I do think Bryce Young should 100% be the #1 overall pick despite the size. 

And then right on cue he throws an awful game ending pick 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Forge said:

And then right on cue he throws an awful game ending pick 

Stroud can throw a really pretty ball, especially down the sideline, but I have concerns about the other important things. Most college QBs come with pocket maneuvering concerns and middle of the field concerns these days, to be fair. The middle of the field is more crowded and in college you can teach screens and gos and back shoulder fades with some RPO slants and meshed crossing routes as the only thing you run over the middle of the field. But at least you know that Bryce Young is absolutely terrific at navigating pockets and is (young) Russell Wilson-y at getting outside and making plays out of structure. At least Will Levis has spent a bunch of time attempting to learn how to throw all of those layered dig routes people want to see at the next level with similar verbiage. I can’t say either of those things about Stroud.

• Like 1