2023 NFL draft thread

Forge

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 5:42 PM, GW21 said:

Just started taking a look at some of the draft eligible players. Three that stood out to me that may be in striking distance for us:

Mazi Smith DT Michigan
Zach Harrison EDGE Ohio St. 
Rakim Jarrett WR Maryland

I'm still trying to figure out where I want us to go. Not having a pick in the top 100 really takes out the potential for getting someone who can really contribute right away, so everything is kind of on the table. You really don't have to draft for need at all. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm still trying to figure out where I want us to go. Not having a pick in the top 100 really takes out the potential for getting someone who can really contribute right away, so everything is kind of on the table. You really don't have to draft for need at all. 

I’m still not sold on everyone on the OL. If I could think of a need that might be there when the Niners pick it would probably be at center. Don’t think we’re getting a starting RT where we pick unfortunately. Maybe someone who can be a swing tackle and develop into a starter. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Technically we're projected to pick 99th overall(comp pick), so we do have a top 100 draft pick lol, I also have no idea where I want or see them going, need to see what they do with their own FAs, and who they sign/don't sign.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

Technically we're projected to pick 99th overall(comp pick), so we do have a top 100 draft pick lol, I also have no idea where I want or see them going, need to see what they do with their own FAs, and who they sign/don't sign.

Okay, I assumed it would be like 102 lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, straighthate said:

I’m still not sold on everyone on the OL. If I could think of a need that might be there when the Niners pick it would probably be at center. Don’t think we’re getting a starting RT where we pick unfortunately. Maybe someone who can be a swing tackle and develop into a starter. 

IOL is one of my favorites to go if only because you can actually get real, immediate talent even at the end of the third round without it being a crazy outlier. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

IOL is one of my favorites to go if only because you can actually get real, immediate talent even at the end of the third round without it being a crazy outlier. 

I do think that between Zakelj and Poe there may very well be a body that the coaching staff already likes for cheap at C. Both of those guys were superb athletes that were just utterly raw with no experience against top competition. But I agree that the middle IOL is one of the few places that you regularly can find immediate contributors. You've got IOL, nose tackle, nickel back, slot receiver, linebacker and running back. And that's about the list. And for several of those we just won't even have likely roster spots (looking at you, linebacker!). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JIllg said:

I do think that between Zakelj and Poe there may very well be a body that the coaching staff already likes for cheap at C. Both of those guys were superb athletes that were just utterly raw with no experience against top competition. But I agree that the middle IOL is one of the few places that you regularly can find immediate contributors. You've got IOL, nose tackle, nickel back, slot receiver, linebacker and running back. And that's about the list. And for several of those we just won't even have likely roster spots (looking at you, linebacker!). 

I'm high on Kalia Davis at NT, they said he has a lot of DJ Jones in him, so I'm hopeful he'll become another DJ Jones type, a steal of the 6th rd IMO if that happens.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Agreed, I think Center is a huge need, I like Brendel, but we need a long term answer, also FS is a need, I'd bring Gipson back on a 1yr deal, but also draft someone, cause I don't see Jimmie Ward back, and Moore isn't what I had hoped he'd become.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

Agreed, I think Center is a huge need, I like Brendel, but we need a long term answer, also FS is a need, I'd bring Gipson back on a 1yr deal, but also draft someone, cause I don't see Jimmie Ward back, and Moore isn't what I had hoped he'd become.

Yeah, I think we will definitely take a safety to develop. Agree that I'm interested in bringing back gipson for a year. He's been fine and he'll be cheap. 

I also like an interior defensive lineman

A lot of the teams best players were drafted, or traded for using picks outside of the first two rounds.  I agree, IOL, DT, and FS are three places we could expect to find someone, but who knows what the scouting dept has up their sleeve.  We might be able to find a pro bowl tackle, future full back, CB, TE or something else random.  You never know with these guys, but I like the idea of looking at what they have done well, late round gems, then adding picks in that range.

Seattle found a DB that ran a 4.3 40 and had plenty of length in the 5th.  There are more high quality athletes in the draft than ever before.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420