Nebraska fires HC Scott Frost

beekay414

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

That said, I think it could go somewhere between "No I want oars up there, ROW THE BOAT" or "Fine, because after I save this program, maybe then you'll change your mind about..."

My dude probably has RTB tattooed on his ***. He's not scrapping that. He'll just throw his record at Minnesota, in the same conference, in their face and say "my way or GTFO out of my home." 

Just now, beekay414 said:

My dude probably has RTB tattooed on his ***. He's not scrapping that. He'll just throw his record at Minnesota, in the same conference, in their face and say "my way or GTFO out of my home." 

Low key I'm not sure who the bigger narcissist is between him and Trev, who is absolutely insufferable and reinforces every negative stereotype I have about Nebraska. It won't work, it won't happen, but I NEED TO SEE THIS HAPPEN.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Low key I'm not sure who the bigger narcissist is between him and Trev, who is absolutely insufferable and reinforces every negative stereotype I have about Nebraska. It won't work, it won't happen, but I NEED TO SEE THIS HAPPEN.

Just for the comedy of it all. But, Fleck is exactly what they need. He's a program builder. He's likely a POS and a clown but the man's way works.

• Like 1

Just now, beekay414 said:

Just for the comedy of it all. But, Fleck is exactly what they need. He's a program builder. He's likely a POS and a clown but the man's way works.

He's also a Midwest guy, and IMO that's Nebraska's really only hope of ever being semi-relevant again. You hope he turns it around, wins games, then maybe ends up contending for the B1G West each year and becomes Wisconsin/Dantonio MSU relevant.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

He's also a Midwest guy, and IMO that's Nebraska's really only hope of ever being semi-relevant again. You hope he turns it around, wins games, then maybe ends up contending for the B1G West each year and becomes Wisconsin/Dantonio MSU relevant.

Isn't the B1G scrapping divisions though? 

I agree about everything and it's why Bohl and Bielema make sense for them as well. Those two will build in the trenches, which is where the talent is in the MW and then use the fact that Nebraska's academics won't get in the way of recruiting to their advantages and get kids that can barely write their names but can fly lol.

They need a program builder in the worst way so, in that regard, I hope they go big fishing and **** it up again ha.

Edited by beekay414

On 9/11/2022 at 2:09 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Old tweets are fun.

What a mistake that was by Frost.

On 9/12/2022 at 8:10 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

So who are their best realistic options? If he was up for it, I honestly think BOB would be great. Or the Wisconsin DC though he'd be a hire that might leave when the Wisconsin job opened up.

They need to find a dude who can win through player development and coaching, like Kirk Ferentz has done at Iowa or Mark Stoops at Kentucky. Top recruits aren't going to Nebraska these days. How about Barry Odom?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jrry32 said:

They need to find a dude who can win through player development and coaching, like Kirk Ferentz has done at Iowa or Mark Stoops at Kentucky. Top recruits aren't going to Nebraska these days. How about Barry Odom?

@beekay414was entirely correct when he said the answer is Bert. IIRC, he was the guy Nebraska wanted in 2014 to replace Pelini.

They need a coach who will develop the OL and let them match the physicality in the rest of the conference. Nebraska has been outright soft for the entirely of their time in the B1G.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jrry32 said:

What a mistake that was by Frost.

It's how Beamer was successful for so long at VT. He got more out of 2* and 3* guys than just out anybody. 

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

It's how Beamer was successful for so long at VT. He got more out of 2* and 3* guys than just out anybody. 

No question. He also was a special teams savant and really hung his hat on that BEAR front on the DL. It was unique enough where it gave teams fits.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

@beekay414was entirely correct when he said the answer is Bert. IIRC, he was the guy Nebraska wanted in 2014 to replace Pelini.

They need a coach who will develop the OL and let them match the physicality in the rest of the conference. Nebraska has been outright soft for the entirely of their time in the B1G.

Anthony Grant is the 2nd leading rusher in the Big Ten right now, hell he is the 2nd leading running back in terms of yards in the nation but does have one more game than most, so at least this season their ability to be physical and run the ball is not the issue.  It is that D, the secondary lost basically everyone and the inside linebacker play is pretty weak and they have played poorly.  Also had a center drafted in the 2nd round last year, and this current roster has at least 2-3 OL NFL prospects on it in Corcoran, Prochazka and possibly Benhart, but sure every team can use quality depth regardless of position honestly but especially on the OL and DL.  They were 45th in the nation in rushing yards per game which is not great but is not awful either out of 124.  The transfer Mathis from TCU has been disappointing on the edge as has the development of Tannor on the other edge which has really hurt them.

Whipple surprised he was not the associate head coach once Frost got fired.  But like others have said he will get a job pretty damn quick again, either as a OC or yeah go to Bama as a analyst to start then a future OC.  

And honestly with how inspired and together that Washington State team has played, Jake Dickert is absolutely in the running as well and is an up and coming head coach.  

12 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

True, Kentucky honestly is like that absolutely, they keep consistently being good despite losing solid players year in and year out.   But also Iowa/Kentucky have not won National Titles anytime recent, where Nebraska was the best team in the nation for years back in the late 80s and early to late 90s.  Heck maybe they should have kept Frank Solich, Bo was great but those issues with being mean to players obviously will not fly in today's world, think about Mark Mangino at Kansas, he had some amazingly successful Kansas football teams which is totally insane, but was mean to players so he is totally out basically of coaching now.  

With the expectations at Nebraska it would be hard to win there, tons of pressure with that fanbase and they are not fine with just being ok and they have only been ok for basically 10 years now and recently been straight bad in terms of wins and loses even if the loses were only by a little bit.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Anthony Grant is the 2nd leading rusher in the Big Ten right now, hell he is the 2nd leading running back in terms of yards in the nation but does have one more game than most, so at least this season their ability to be physical and run the ball is not the issue.

Being physical against Georgia Southern and North Dakota's undersized defensive fronts should be a given for a P5 team. They only averaged 3.5 a rush against Northwestern.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

Being physical against Georgia Southern and North Dakota's undersized defensive fronts should be a given for a P5 team. They only averaged 3.5 a rush against Northwestern.

Yeaup. Let's see what they do those final 4 weeks of B1G play when they get Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa before we try to say their OL play is fine.

9 minutes ago, cp0k2 said:

Specifically in regards to Anthony Grant who I was referencing, he had 101 yards 2 TDs and average 5.3 yards per carry against Northwestern.  That is struggling to run the ball for him?  

And their leading rusher last year Rahmir Johnson has been hurt all season.  Jaquez Yant is a tank but probably does not fit the Whipple passing offense even though he should be given more opportunities, also odd they do not give the ball to Markese Stepp more who is a big physical back but again not a fit in the new passing scheme they tried to get going.  It is probably more an issue of scheme and Frost wanted a QB run game with Martinez but that never really worked because Martinez struggled passing so much and as a runner was not great either.  Even on K-State Martinez struggles big time throwing the football even against suspect competition then against last year lit up Wisconsin for over 350 yards passing on the road, and people seem to forget they had 8 one score losses last year.  That is not exactly the sound of a team that totally has an awful OL and cannot match up to teams in the Big Ten.    More a team that has suspect performance in close games and does not know how to close out games for a variety of reasons.  

Even the Georgia Southern loss, that was against a team that for years was a wish bone offense and was all about running the football, now they are a total spread team with Clay Helton and have a QB that has been playing college football for six years.  Still Nebraska did just fine offensively passing for over 300 yards and rushing for over 250 yards, 5.5 per carry and 5 rushing TDs.  Obviously the D was the reason for the loss not the offensive freaking line.  

But sure one could argue every team in football need improved offensive line play because it is generally a down position and not many great ones out there or great units.  Even the Notre Dame OL which was supposed to be a strength of that team and one of the best in the nation has struggled a lot this season.