Week 1 - Browns 26 Panthers 24 -- 5 Up, 5 Down - Whatcha got?

Bucketheadsdad

Grade our performance?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What letter grade do you assign the Browns effort for Week 1?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Incomplete - we need to see more

Ups

1.  Cade York - Maybe our MVP for the day. 

2.  Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt -- Running game looked pretty good, even with Hudson replacing Conklin and Hubbard.

3.  DPJ quickly becoming a very dependable receiver. Nice pairing with Amari Cooper.

4.  Jerome Ford had one very solid, very deliberate kickoff return.  Might be nice to have someone with that sort of running authority back there.  May not out run everyone, but also isn't likely to go down with an arm tacle

5.  A few flashes with Anthony Schwartz running reverses, and making a catch (isn't that his job?).

Downs

1.  The running defense was a bit suspect at time, getting gashed up the middle. DT's aren't our strong point on defense.

2.  A few missed assignments in the secondary were very costly.

3.  Demetric Felton looked rather lost, as though his feet were tethered in his initial spot on punts.  

4.  Brissett didn't turn the ball over.  He was a game manager.....but is that enough?  We play some very good teams before week 13.  The rest of the club will have to hone their craft a bit more.

5.  Our LB's let McCaffery get loose quie a bit, and we'll face clubs with better weapons, and can't afford to let that happen too often.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Delpit needs shot into the sun for the mistakes he made today.

Was that Robby Anderson play his fault? Think Newsome expected JJ3 to take him, but I could be wrong.

Anyway:

Up:

- We won... IN WEEK ONE!

- Chubb and our running game is still fantastic.

- OL played well overall. Hudson played well enough in place of Conklin and Pocic seemed solid.

- DPJ. Didn't put up amazing stats, but made numerous tough catches.

- Defensive game plan in the first half.  We made Baker really uncomfortable and knew how to rattle him.

- CBs played well. As long as these dudes stay healthy, we're really talented and have very nice depth.

- Cade York, of course.

Down:

- Coverage breakdowns that led to Carolina coming back.

- Brissett. He made the throws that last drive when it mattered most, but man it was painful watching him. He seems so... sluggish. He's gonna have to play better if we want to stay in the playoff hunt while Watson is out.

- Run defense. Carolina didn't run much, and it's CMC, but we need to improve there.

- Felton returning punts. Just get a dude who has good hands and won't make any mistakes returning punts.

- Just being unclutch and letting Carolina back in the game when we controlled the game for 95% of it.

• Like 1

Up

Cade York 

Chubb/Hunt

Oline - didn’t notice Hudson all game

Team Effort - they gave a sh**

DPJ - caught some difficult passes

down

playcalling/jacoby - either get the play in earlier or he needs to speed up his process at the line 

Felton - just fair catch it

bonus - Harrison JR didn’t make a dumb penalty

• Like 2

UP

1. Chubb and Hunt - Both did exactly what we want to see every game 

2. Cade York - Wow can’t say much else. Very clutch 

3. Myles - I thought he had 3 sacks with the first fumbled snap, did they change that stat?

4. O Line - Run and Pass pro was good all day. No penalties that got us behind the sticks 

5.  Emerson - Deserves some credit for stepping in and getting lots of PT

DOWN

1.  Felton - Just needs to adjust better to the ball. He will cost us points if he doesn’t clean it up

2. KS - Needs to tailor the offense a bit.  Deep throws are not going to work right now 

3. Big Plays on D with a lead. Can’t have that. I think Newsome would say he is supposed to let Anderson go but I’m that situation giving up a 15 yd play underneath is better than what happened. 

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

We will be an amazing team when Watson returns to form.

If we had him we drop Carolina by 21+

I’ll add tot this. Stefanski will look really good when Watson returns and returns to form because he still way too pass happy imo.

Early in the game I thought they let Jacoby throw the ball way too much.  They never really had an answer for our run game and should have pounded the ball. 34 attempts is simply too many for a game you were leading almost the entire time when Brissett is your QB.

I mean, the play design looked good, guys were open, etc., but Brissett isn’t a dude you should be trying to air it out with imo.

• Like 1

I see others have mentioned Felton as well.  Man, that’s was infuriating to watch.  Like, I’d love to flip the field and see huge returns as much as anyone, but when the coverage team is in your face as the punt is arriving, just fair catch the mfer.

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like punt returning is fairly simple.  If there’s any doubt, fair catch it.  If you have some room, catch it and get up field asap, no side to side nonsense. The only thing you MUST do is catch the ball and not lose yards.

No clue why this is seemingly always an issue.

Up:

RBs and run blockers bringing the fire

Rookie kicker coming through

D-line creating havoc (it sure is nice to see all Baker's batted balls when he's not our QB)

DPJ showing up as a reliable WR option

That FB pass to Hunt for the TD was beautiful design and called at the perfect time

Down:

Too many blown coverages for big plays (and DBs are supposed to be our strength)

Brissett's accuracy

Stefanski's going for it on 4th down strategy is like 15 y.o. Bill Belichick playing Madden football

Getting too comfortable with the lead in the 2nd half

No vertical offense to speak of

14 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Brissett's accuracy

14 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

No vertical offense to speak of

I feel like the latter is because of the former.

Like, Hunt had his dude roasted for a huge play and Brissett totally muffed the throw.  It wasn’t even a tight window throw, he was wide open.  The opportunities were there, he just missed them.

• Like 1

Up

York is legit offensive threat

Brissett made plays at the end of the game when we needed it (and mistake free)

Hunt and Chubb on the field at the same time (more please)

DPJ looked better

D was nasty at times

Down

Brissett probably won't win you too many games on his own

blown coverages

Felton- could cut him today and won't make a difference

Schwartz-same as Felton (though i liked the reverse)

Stefanski play calling still a bit suspect