Week 1 - Browns 26 Panthers 24 -- 5 Up, 5 Down - Whatcha got?

Bucketheadsdad

Grade our performance?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. What letter grade do you assign the Browns effort for Week 1?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Incomplete - we need to see more

14 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Felton- could cut him today and won't make a difference

Schwartz-same as Felton (though i liked the reverse)

I realize it’s only been one game but we really need to see more from them.  The reverse was nice, but it’s a 100% manufactured touch for a dude who hasn’t shown much ability as of yet. Let’s hope he keeps improving.

14 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Stefanski play calling still a bit suspect

I actually like the play calling in many ways, but it’s like he refuses to apply context. “This is our offense and I expect everyone to run it and run it well” is great and all, but if you don’t have a QB who can make the throws you need to make some adjustments.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Those infographics are always absurdly cluttered to me.  But JB is exactly what that graph displays, middling.

IMO you hope that he just improves on the accuracy meter and the yards per attempt stay the same. Somewhere around where Lawrence ended up with a few games where Tua did. High volume completions.

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO you hope that he just improves on the accuracy meter and the yards per attempt stay the same. Somewhere around where Lawrence ended up with a few games where Tua did. High volume completions.

Yeah that’s really all we can hope for.  Try to manufacture easy throws/completions and get the ball in the hands of the playmakers and hope they make something happen.  Every now and then take a shot and hope to limit turnovers.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah that’s really all we can hope for.  Try to manufacture easy throws/completions and get the ball in the hands of the playmakers and hope they make something happen.  Every now and then take a shot and hope to limit turnovers.

I was really hoping they'd run a few TE and RB screens yesterday on some of those stacked box downs. Njoku I still don't understand that signing at all, but if you want to get the ball in the hands of those guys, that's the way you do it. And as much as I HATE them, tunnel and bubble screens are other ways if you're able to move Hunt to the slot some.

I LOVED having both Hunt and Chubb in the backfield, and in my opinion, an easy evolutionary concept is to motion Hunt from the backfield to the slot and match him up against a LB.

They really lack team speed because Schwartz doesn't count since he can rarely catch the ball. Cooper is an elite route runner and capable WR, DPJ looked like a capable #2, but then after that, really there are some issues. Even if Bell is your slot guy...who is taking the top off and stretching the box?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I was really hoping they'd run a few TE and RB screens yesterday on some of those stacked box downs. Njoku I still don't understand that signing at all, but if you want to get the ball in the hands of those guys, that's the way you do it. And as much as I HATE them, tunnel and bubble screens are other ways if you're able to move Hunt to the slot some.

yeah I don’t love those plays either, but they’re ways to get the passing game involved that match what Brissett is good at.

I LOVED having both Hunt and Chubb in the backfield, and in my opinion, an easy evolutionary concept is to motion Hunt from the backfield to the slot and match him up against a LB.

They both need as many snaps as they can handle. They both put pressure on a defense, keep them out there.  Especially if the alternative is Schwartz or whatever.

They really lack team speed because Schwartz doesn't count since he can rarely catch the ball. Cooper is an elite route runner and capable WR, DPJ looked like a capable #2, but then after that, really there are some issues. Even if Bell is your slot guy...who is taking the top off and stretching the box?

It’s wild that with all of the issue we had last season they didn’t do more to address the speed issue.  Idk what TY Hilton has left, but he’d be someone I’d look at.  He’s got some speed and some familiarity with Brissett.

• Like 2

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

yeah I don’t love those plays either, but they’re ways to get the passing game involved that match what Brissett is good at.

They both need as many snaps as they can handle. They both put pressure on a defense, keep them out there.  Especially if the alternative is Schwartz or whatever.

Hunt and Chubb need to be on the field a LOT this year, and I think that they will. I could see a lot of 2 back concepts with Kareem in the slot as well and then D'Ernest taking some of those "other carries" as a result of having both on the field at the same time, but he was hurt yesterday.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s wild that with all of the issue we had last season they didn’t do more to address the speed issue.  Idk what TY Hilton has left, but he’d be someone I’d look at.  He’s got some speed and some familiarity with Brissett.

I get not being able to address everything in an off-season, but that lack of speed at the WR position combined with our LB situation not getting addressed at all is a real frustration. The DT balled out yesterday, so MAYBE the FO knows more than we do on how good they feel/felt about that group this year.

And Emerson and Wright looked good yesterday, so between those 2 and York it's hard to get mad about who they picked instead, and I understand the Bell pick, but he's not a guy who makes you better on the intermediate to deep route portion that we struggled with as a team the last 2-3 years.

Is Will Fuller still a Free Agent? I get he's probably washed but he's another guy to maybe look at. Sign either of those two and cut Felton, he's awful.

• Like 2

Hunt and Chubb need to be on the field a LOT this year, and I think that they will. I could see a lot of 2 back concepts with Kareem in the slot as well and then D'Ernest taking some of those "other carries" as a result of having both on the field at the same time, but he was hurt yesterday.

Agreed and even with Johnson being injured I’d use Ford.  Let him get his feet wet with some limited touches and get a feel for the game.

I get not being able to address everything in an off-season, but that lack of speed at the WR position combined with our LB situation not getting addressed at all is a real frustration. The DT balled out yesterday, so MAYBE the FO knows more than we do on how good they feel/felt about that group this year.

Bryan has always had the physical ability, the issue is he can’t mentally process anything. I’ve seen cut ups of him and it’s comical tbh.  But also there are clips of him handing Quentin Nelson his ***….  It’s really just about keeping things simple for him and giving him one very well defined job, “go get the QB… get up field and be a problem” and he can be decent.

And Emerson and Wright looked good yesterday, so between those 2 and York it's hard to get mad about who they picked instead, and I understand the Bell pick, but he's not a guy who makes you better on the intermediate to deep route portion that we struggled with as a team the last 2-3 years.

Is Will Fuller still a Free Agent? I get he's probably washed but he's another guy to maybe look at. Sign either of those two and cut Felton, he's awful.

I like that the FO is patient and looks to give guys a real shot at developing, but at some point there’s a **** or get off the pot moment.  We need to see some actual production from some of these guys or it’s time to review those guardrails again, specifically the “churn the bottom of the roster” part.  If a guy flashes, cool, let’s see what he can do.  But I don’t recall a flash from Felton in a long time. Now he’s a RB?  Idk man..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I realize it’s only been one game but we really need to see more from them.  The reverse was nice, but it’s a 100% manufactured touch for a dude who hasn’t shown much ability as of yet. Let’s hope he keeps improving.

ehhh....i think i've seen enough.   But I hope you are right, and with Berry seemingly refusing to cut guys he drafts, we probably will see them for awhile.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
1 hour ago, big poppa pump said:

I actually like the play calling in many ways, but it’s like he refuses to apply context. “This is our offense and I expect everyone to run it and run it well” is great and all, but if you don’t have a QB who can make the throws you need to make some adjustments.

I think he has issues with trying to outsmart teams, instead of playing to our strengths.  I don't think we can ONLY run the ball, and in fact, it is wise to pass on 1st down on occasion.  I thought that yesterday we were running the ball effectively, and the announcers were saying that the Browns should make them stop the run.  It's something that I believe the hoodie does well.  If you can't stop this, then I will keep doing it!

If we are in a 3rd and 3 situation, near midfield, and you know that you are going for it on 4th down, then why pass twice, rather than run?  It just doesn't make sense to me, given the personnel that we have.

1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

ehhh....i think i've seen enough.   But I hope you are right, and with Berry seemingly refusing to cut guys he drafts, we probably will see them for awhile.

I mean, both of the guys we’re talking about are in their second season, so it’s not like we’re holding on to them forever. I don’t think 2 years is too long, but man I’d like to see something soon.

1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

I think he has issues with trying to outsmart teams, instead of playing to our strengths.  I don't think we can ONLY run the ball, and in fact, it is wise to pass on 1st down on occasion.  I thought that yesterday we were running the ball effectively, and the announcers were saying that the Browns should make them stop the run.  It's something that I believe the hoodie does well.  If you can't stop this, then I will keep doing it!

If we are in a 3rd and 3 situation, near midfield, and you know that you are going for it on 4th down, then why pass twice, rather than run?  It just doesn't make sense to me, given the personnel that we have.

It’s not just Stefanski though, that’s every HC other than BB.  They all get cute instead of just spamming what’s working.  It’s like they think if they run the ball too much it’s just going to magically stop working.  Make them figure out what you’re doing and stop it, 100%.

3rd and 3 and I’m for sure going for it on 4th and I’m calling 2 run plays in the huddle and if the first one doesn’t work it’s time for no huddle and then the second play. Hell run the same play twice for all I care.

• Like 1