The Good, The Bad, the Ugly week 1

ronjon1990

Not gonna panic after 1 game. Tbh the Raiders just beat themselves. If Carr leads Waller on that pass in the end zone it’s a TD. If Carr steps into the throw and throws it towards the end zone it’s a catch at the 5 yard line. If Carr throws a better ball to Renfrow it’s a completed pass. 

Chargers played mistake free football but they didn’t do anything special imo. 

Not sure if the players were cramping up but we saw the RG and RT get switched about every other drive. They need to figure out the 5 and stick with it until you’re ready to make a change. 

The offense looked out of sync and I think that’s when not playing your starters in the preseason comes back to bite you and really sets you back especially when you’re learning a new system 

I also don’t have any issues with Carr feeding Adams. That’s what you do when you have a star WR. He’s that GREAT that you get the ball into his hands as much as possible. Renfrow is most likely always gonna be the odd man out just has to be ready when the ball does come. 

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I would keep Adams i the good but also put him in the bad.  Not his play but his presence had a negative impact on Carr and our play calling.  Why did Jacobs average 5.7 yards a carry but only get 10 carries.

I completely agree.  His play on the field was fantastic but you're right his presence effected Carr and the play calling. He seemed focused on getting Adams the rock and not spread the ball around based on mismatches.  McD abandoned the run game and we became one dimensional which is not good.  That will all change as the season progresses and Carr gets more comfortable in McDaniels system.

Not playing during the preseason hurt many QB's today and it showed  Rogers, Murray, Burrow, Dak, Carr all did not look good today. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Not gonna panic after 1 game. Tbh the Raiders just beat themselves. If Carr leads Waller on that pass in the end zone it’s a TD. If Carr steps into the throw and throws it towards the end zone it’s a catch at the 5 yard line. If Carr throws a better ball to Renfrow it’s a completed pass. 

Chargers played mistake free football but they didn’t do anything special imo. 

Not sure if the players were cramping up but we saw the RG and RT get switched about every other drive. They need to figure out the 5 and stick with it until you’re ready to make a change. 

The offense looked out of sync and I think that’s when not playing your starters in the preseason comes back to bite you and really sets you back especially when you’re learning a new system 

I also don’t have any issues with Carr feeding Adams. That’s what you do when you have a star WR. He’s that GREAT that you get the ball into his hands as much as possible. Renfrow is most likely always gonna be the odd man out just has to be ready when the ball does come. 

It's going to get better. DC was aggressive in the wrong ways. He will learn from it and play better situationally. We just need to go 500 in these first 6 and we'll be okay.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I completely agree.  His play on the field was fantastic but you're right his presence effected Carr and the play calling. He seemed focused on getting Adams the rock and not spread the ball around based on mismatches.  McD abandoned the run game and we became one dimensional which is not good.  That will all change as the season progresses and Carr gets more comfortable in McDaniels system.

Not playing during the preseason hurt many QB's today and it showed  Rogers, Murray, Burrow, Dak, Carr all did not look good today. 

That pass Brady just tossed directly to Wilson was every bit as egregious as any of Carr's picks today, too. 

But don't tell the Malik Willis fan club that. 

• Like 1

The good is we SUCKED and had a chance to win in the end but sucked for 60 min. lol

The bad is that we sucked

Ugly is how bad we sucked. 

Good news is featuring Adams week 1 we probably use him as a decoy next week. I'm not worried because we somehow were still in it with all the turnovers. It's a long season so all good. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

That pass Brady just tossed directly to Wilson was every bit as egregious as any of Carr's picks today, too. 

But don't tell the Malik Willis fan club that. 

The Brady pick was terrible.  Right to the guy.  

All QB's have bad games and Carr didn't play great today nor did the Raiders as a unit.  I am not worried one bit about Carr and I think this team will be competitive all season long.  It was one loss.  Good teams make adjustments and bounce back as I know this squad will.  

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

It's going to get better. DC was aggressive in the wrong ways. He will learn from it and play better situationally. We just need to go 500 in these first 6 and we'll be okay.

I wish dc would work on the fumbling seems like if you just touch him or bump him accidentally he’s fumbling 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

Carr stayed locked on Adam's all game. Threw behind Waller in the endzone, the pick to Tranquill and in another 3rd down conversion. With all that and the sacks and this game was still winnable.

I think the biggest takeaway for me is that despite the warts, if we play well, we can win games. We have the talent for the most part. 

Credit to the D because they're in the same boat and looked better, but the O looked like a bunch of guys playing their first game together in a new system. That should level out, but it needs to level out fast. 

The silly mistakes happen and will fade. Carr probably won't look that bad in future games in terms of the bad INTs. 

The OL though, they're just not a good unit right now. It wasn't just silly headscratching mistakes, they were just bad. The pocket had the integrity of a wet paper sack getting bunched up and wrung back out. Virtually nothing about today was a truly clean pocket- guys were flopping around the QB all day. Can't win games with that, no matter who the QB is, and not with how so many of the plays looked like long developing ones. 

Bad QB play and atrocious OL play aside, shame on McDaniels for not playing everyone in the preseason. I wonder how much of Carr's focus on Adams was truly designed in the new system and how much was just sandlot because they're both in a new system they'd taken zero snaps in and had some familiarity? It alone isn't an excuse, but the preparation is questionable at best- something I recall being an issue with McDaniels in Denver as well. 

I don't want to crap on the guy entirely after 1 game, but it brings back a red flag for me- he ran great offenses with one of the most discipled franchises in the league where everything was heavily structured by an OCD maniac of a HC. I could be mistaken, but hasn't Tom even alluded to Belichick being overbearing? And Tom is the preparation master. Can McDaniels actually be a HC with proper preparation skill, or is he one of those great cogs in a wheel that can't keep anything together without someone else's structure? I hate to say it, but I feel like what we saw today was a result of just that- they had no real semblance of a set plan for the OL, timing was off, arguably due to the decision to rest guys instead of getting them live action, we inexplicably abandoned the run game, some guys seemed a bit lost or disinterested (the Callahan pick was 100% a bad throw by Carr, but I have seen Renfrow break up would-be picks like that plenty of times). 

It's frustrating because you could see the idea behind the offense. The Tranquill pick, for example, better timing and placement (which probably would've come with more live reps earlier), he hits Waller behind the D and he could've been off to the races. He had a step on his guy. 

Honestly, for me the worst INT was the deep ball to Adams. Wrong time for that pass, there were at least 3 guys around him, and going back to am earlier point, I think we started playing sandlot ball at that point. And as much as it's on the players, the coaches do carry some responsibility for the preparation of guys. 

It's week one and we weren't the ugliest loss or even performance of the week, so I can stay optimistic. But to say I'm pleased with the debut would be a lie. 

• Like 1