What should Dallas do at QB?

Dallas94Ware

What should Dallas do at QB?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dallas...

• Ride out the storm with Rush/DiNucci until Dak returns?
    • Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo?
    • Trade for another player (put name in post below)?
    • Garrett Gilbert was not all that bad..is he still available?
    • Put Dak on permanant IR and bank on a top draft choice?
    • Sign available free agent/practice squad player (name below)

I find it baffling that Russell Wilson has turned into an absolute walking meme. He’s getting roasted. Bashed. Torn apart. Made fun of, and picked on. All but ran out of town. But Cowboys fans look at that same production and say Daks a top 8 QB. It’s insane. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, textaz03 said:

That’s a failure of Defensive captains and Quinn and his assistants for not holding them accountable. Yank their ***** out of the game. Parsons and D-Law should be telling coaches to bench these guys if they are not holding their gaps. 

Agree.

13 hours ago, DaBoys said:

I find it baffling that Russell Wilson has turned into an absolute walking meme. He’s getting roasted. Bashed. Torn apart. Made fun of, and picked on. All but ran out of town. But Cowboys fans look at that same production and say Daks a top 8 QB. It’s insane. 

For what it's worth here is how I feel about Dak.  I've been a Dak backer.  I've defended Dak. I will probably continue to defend him at times.  I want him to succeed.  That being said it is getting harder and harder to defend him. I'm not talking about an individual pass and whose fault the pick was.  I'm looking at him in totality. I'll put it this way.  Remember Romo early in his career and how he was a gunslinger for lack of a better term?  Remember how he would scramble and shovel pass, underhand pass, lob the ball anything to try and advance.  I spent many games watching Romo and yelling at the TV don't do it; don't throw it.  Take the sack, run out of bounds.  In other words there was a degree of anxiety involved in watching Romo take risks.  Sadly I feel that way now whenever Dak drops back to pass.  He has more than  his share of dimes.  Yet he also has too many timing and accuracy issues.  Given how far along he is in his career I don't think the timing and accuracy issues will resolve.   I don't begrudge him his contract.  That's on management.  Personally I would take a page out of the Cooper Rush game plan.  Simplify things.  Commit to the run.  Let the pass compliment the run game.  Hope your defense can get back to terrorizing QB's.  In other words don't put it all on Dak.  Yeah he's making $40 million or whatever per year.  Take the game out of his hands and simplify things.  It just might work.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to why Dallas does not roll Dak out more?  Have defenses figured that out?  Seems to me that is an element of Dak's game that could be utilized more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northland said:

For what it's worth here is how I feel about Dak.  I've been a Dak backer.  I've defended Dak. I will probably continue to defend him at times.  I want him to succeed.  That being said it is getting harder and harder to defend him. I'm not talking about an individual pass and whose fault the pick was.  I'm looking at him in totality. I'll put it this way.  Remember Romo early in his career and how he was a gunslinger for lack of a better term?  Remember how he would scramble and shovel pass, underhand pass, lob the ball anything to try and advance.  I spent many games watching Romo and yelling at the TV don't do it; don't throw it.  Take the sack, run out of bounds.  In other words there was a degree of anxiety involved in watching Romo take risks.  Sadly I feel that way now whenever Dak drops back to pass.  He has more than  his share of dimes.  Yet he also has too many timing and accuracy issues.  Given how far along he is in his career I don't think the timing and accuracy issues will resolve.   I don't begrudge him his contract.  That's on management.  Personally I would take a page out of the Cooper Rush game plan.  Simplify things.  Commit to the run.  Let the pass compliment the run game.  Hope your defense can get back to terrorizing QB's.  In other words don't put it all on Dak.  Yeah he's making $40 million or whatever per year.  Take the game out of his hands and simplify things.  It just might work.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to why Dallas does not roll Dak out more?  Have defenses figured that out?  Seems to me that is an element of Dak's game that could be utilized more.

100% 

We were up 28-14 in the 4th. Why the hell did Dak have 46 pass attempts!? Would they have called 46+ passes with Cooper Rush? 

Dak is better than Rush but he is not who some people(including the FO) obviously think he is. 

3 hours ago, Northland said:

I agree. I don't, and haven't for years, understood why they do not move him around. Early in his career he would throw such a beautiful deep ball when rolling to his left. Why did they stop doing that?

Warning: Lengthy, scheme X and O post ahead! Haha

Sorry for missing out on some good debate. Although I am healthy and able again, nearly becoming extinct has made me realize I need to go out and experience more of this beautiful planet before I, or it, do indeed go extinct.

Fact is guys, that Dak has not played his best football going back into the end of last season. I have vigorously studied every snap of his the last two days though, going back to week 16 of last season and up to this current Packers game the past weekend. Trying to see where his shakiness really seems to stem from and if it's a him thing, a scheme thing, or a just not a good passer thing.

And as a disclaimer, I am a tremendous fan of Dak and what he has done for this team and what he is most certainly capable of as a player and a QB. So it was hard to be completely unopinionated in my assessments...but I did my best to do just that.

So what is going on with Dak?

An alarmingly high percent of his seemingly poor throws, thanks to NFL+ and all 22 film, mind you, seem to be a combination of terrible play calling, poor adjustments by receivers, and a failure to recognize multi-tier coverages.

I can't tell you how many times, from the birds eye view, you see each receiver completely erased. No schematic to free a star receiver, few bunch formations with the hopes of tripping up or confusing a DB. Bland, stale routes crossing right through one zone and into another, or receivers in single man coverage continuing their routes right into a deep zone and eliminating them from the play as opposed to breaking off into separation and affording Dak a chance to get them the ball. What this tells me is that the play calling, for all the glitz and media Kellen Moore gets, is not helping this receiving group out. Not enough options for the receivers to break away, and not accounting for defensive tendencies often enough to let a receiver sit down in a gap and make a grab. This can also be attributed to receivers failing to adjust or recognize things themselves and sit in said gap, or make said move to separate a yard sooner, to give Dak that opportunity.

These receivers need to realize in modern offenses, the routes are not rigid. This isn't Madden where you follow a path the same way every time. If you see that safety biting, or trailing slightly to your direction, you adjust quickly. If you're crossing the field and realize those linebackers have rolled out wide into zones, stop your route and turn to your quarterback as soon as you are between them. Help your team mate out by seeing things play out and change your plan of attack accordingly. This is something that Amari Cooper was so special at doing, and has been missing all season even with Rush under center not just Dak.

Worse still, is failures on Daks part to recognize multi-tier coverage. In today's NFL, motion alone will never tell you where the man coverage and where the zone coverage is, nor will locating the safeties. You have to watch the play develop now more than ever. Coordinators have gotten so good at disguising their coverage call and players have become so multi dimensional on defense that a safety can play linebacker, a corner can hold fast in a center zone, and a linebacker can man up over a slot without a hitch. You have to watch it develop, and recognize what changes need to be made. You can't just assume everything stayed as you anticipated presnap. Dak has struggled here, throwing into coverages that were not shown presnap, particularly when there is a layer of zones with a man assignment out wide. These are the perfect coverages to torch a defense with a swing to the running back or a deadly comeback route that isn't 20 yards down field and in the safety's area, but rather, 10 yards up after the corner has bit hard at the corner or post. This also falls on Kellen Moore who needs to account for this better.

Overall, this whole offensive passing game needs to be more aware of what they have in front of them. It looks almost as if they lack the reps in practice or the time on film study. The coordinator needs to do a better job at assisting the receivers as well and call better plays that force defenses to stop attacking Dak and the receivers how they have been, and simplify their coverage or risk continuing to be torched by Pollard on a swing or flare for 8 yards at a time. 

If these changes aren't made, the passing game will continue to have hot and cold peaks and valleys, which is not how you play championship football. At some point, a change will need to be made for the future growth of this team--at either the QB position, the coordinator position, or both.

And a big, physical, banger of a receiver like Jeudy would have seriously helped. Oh well.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

• 1 month later...

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, so I put it in my QB thread from a month or so ago. This is an excerpt of an article I came across and whether you love or hate Dak, you have to admit it's pretty accurate...

When the Cowboys lose — no matter how Prescott plays, really — the next week is spent complaining he's not good enough. Dallas is 60-35 in his starts. People still wonder if he can win.

The Cowboys face the Tennessee Titans on Thursday night. The Titans would kill for a quarterback like Prescott. Everyone in Dallas just seems to like complaining about the one they have.

It's not like this is unique to Prescott. Tony Romo lived this life already.

No matter how many great games Romo played, it was all forgotten whenever the Cowboys lost. Dallas could put up 48 points with Romo throwing for more than 500 yards, but they'd lose 51-48 and Romo's lone mistake would be the focus, not a defense that gave up 51 points.

Edited by Dallas94Ware
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, so I put it in my QB thread from a month or so ago. This is an excerpt of an article I came across and whether you love or hate Dak, you have to admit it's pretty accurate...

When the Cowboys lose — no matter how Prescott plays, really — the next week is spent complaining he's not good enough. Dallas is 60-35 in his starts. People still wonder if he can win.

The Cowboys face the Tennessee Titans on Thursday night. The Titans would kill for a quarterback like Prescott. Everyone in Dallas just seems to like complaining about the one they have.

It's not like this is unique to Prescott. Tony Romo lived this life already.

No matter how many great games Romo played, it was all forgotten whenever the Cowboys lost. Dallas could put up 48 points with Romo throwing for more than 500 yards, but they'd lose 51-48 and Romo's lone mistake would be the focus, not a defense that gave up 51 points.

Basically. People seem to imagine that wins are a QB stat. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, textaz03 said:

QB’s and HC’s are in the same boat IMO all about post season success. Regular season wins and stats are great and all, but I’m looking for postseason success. 

Which is ridiculous. Sometimes you run into a better team, or simply get out coached, or a call goes the wrong way -other teams way (Dez Bryant)! Sometimes the QB and HC put the team in a position to win but another player makes a mistake (Patrick Clayton), or a player on the other team makes a miraculous 40 second rally for a win (Aaron Rodgers...twice!) Or even still, a perfect game ruined by one mistake at HC or QB becomes the focal point regardless of the perfection that came before or a defense surrendering a big drive for a win, having nothing to do with the QB.

If postseason success was the determining factor in good QB play, Terry Bradshaw would be remembered as one of the top 3 or 5 passers ever. He is not. Marino would not be remembered as one of those. He is. Brees only won it all once, Rodgers too. But no one would put Bradshaw or even Eli in their league as a player on the field. This is the ultimate team sport. All 11 on the field have to do their job or fail. 

As for HC, he can't force his players to execute. And in this era, they aren't the ones calling the shots for the roster building either. some get more say than others, but not like before. It's not a HCs fault when they go 5-11, 4-12, and 3-13 with a bust of a top 5 pick at QB, blown picks the rest of the way, and wasted money on FAs. 

Even in the front office and the coaches meeting rooms, it's a team effort.

Fanbases who want instant coffee success are unrealistic. Sure it happens at times, like Bengals last year. But usually it takes two, three, four years to assemble a winner. And more than that, a winner is often too easily determined by one play bouncing the wrong way or being called the wrong way. Writing the entire story for a single player or coach because of that one play, even if it happens twice in an entire 12+ year career, is completely unfair.

And this fanbases is notoriously the worst at that. Like the article said, Tennessee would kill to have Dak. Especially right now. And you can say the same thing for many teams outside of those with the up coming superstuds or those with the MVP guys. That's more teams than not.

Besides!

Everyone knows if Dak won three straight championships, this fanbase would still say "Oh please, Dak still sucks, everyone knows the defense carried this team. If we had a better QB, we would have won 4 in those 3 years."

All the blame with a loss. No credit for the wins. That's the life of a Dallas QB. If I were a QB, I'd Eli Manning cry baby my way out of Dallas if they were drafting me.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

11 hours ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

Can we change this thread to “What should Dallas do at CB?” Cuz yikes, it’s bad opposite Diggs. Everytime they needed a play last night, they targeted that side of the field. What do you think the playoff teams are going to do to Wright and Bossman?

Yeah, there’s not much to do… maybe they give Alexander some more reps. But this is going to be a problem from here on out. We’ll just have to be good enough elsewhere.