What should Dallas do at QB?

Dallas94Ware

What should Dallas do at QB?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dallas...

• Ride out the storm with Rush/DiNucci until Dak returns?
    • Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo?
    • Trade for another player (put name in post below)?
    • Garrett Gilbert was not all that bad..is he still available?
    • Put Dak on permanant IR and bank on a top draft choice?
    • Sign available free agent/practice squad player (name below)

DAK 

9 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

Like who? Who exactly is going to be replacing Dak Prescott? Don’t think you lose assets based on that emotional decision that isn’t based on reality. 

We need to start looking at drafting QBs the same method that NE employs. Looking at 3rd or 4th round picks. Unless we are comfortable with Will Grier. 

I have been an advocate of drafting O Line people to better the run game and pass protection. Dak struggles against pressure as we have seen and this O Line gives him the jitters. The weak link seems to becoming from the left side with Tyler Smith and Conor McGovern. Smith gets a pass being a rookie. He will get stronger with an offseason or two. Conor McGovern? I really need to look at him again to see if he is worth re-signing. Although, he has position flex as a Center. They really need to do an anatomy of the O line. We see DAK arms getting hit or hand etc...it's leaking. 

Agreed. However, I believe if we are going to go the route of draft and groom, you can forget about having guys on the team like Parsons, Diggs, Lamb, Biadiz, etc. Because by the time the QB comes of age, these guys will be in contract years and, as always, we won't be able to afford them along with a solid supporting cast.

We have a lot of that in place now. That is why I believe if you want a shot at a title, you have to have a veteran, proven post season winning QB now.

We simply dont have time to draft and groom and expect all of our young talent to be here when that time arrives.

I’ve said for years now and I have been consistent the Cowboys will never win a Super Bowl with Dak as there QB. Dak is a good qb without elite talent. He doesn’t have a great arm. He is not deadly accurate. He’s not an elite athlete. Can you win a superbowl with a good qb sure you can with elite talent on both sides of the ball. The Cowboys have good talent and a few elite players on both sides of the ball. Soon you will have to pay the elite talent. I think the Cowboys stand pat try to draft well again which they’re good at and bring in bottom bargain free agents to fill out the roster. Would I do this no but it’s likely what the Cowboys will do. 

• Like 1

Mike Fisher stated that Stephen and Jerry wants to the team to be competitive every year. However, you see other teams like LA and Philly embrace the SUCK for a few years to get draft picks/rebuild then GO ALL IN( FA/trades ) for a 2 year run. Maybe we should fire sell and embrace the suck for a few years in the same method. :( 

10 minutes ago, atran35 said:

Mike Fisher stated that Stephen and Jerry wants to the team to be competitive every year. However, you see other teams like LA and Philly embrace the SUCK for a few years to get draft picks/rebuild then GO ALL IN( FA/trades ) for a 2 year run. Maybe we should fire sell and embrace the suck for a few years in the same method. :( 

I agree to a large extent. If you look around at all the best teams, nearly all of them have very young or even rookie contracts. Dak is young obviously, but he's going to be mediocre for years to come when you compare him to the competition. Only thing that scares me is: do you trust out front office to rebuild us? Feels like we've been falling forward with talent since the Romo days. If we fall completely idk how long it'll take for us to get up.

Couple of points: We may have gone 12-5, but Dak was 8-4. 9-5 including playoff’s. 

my QB ranks:

1. Pat Mahomes

2. Joe Burrow

3. Josh Allen

4. Trevor Lawrence 

5. Aaron Rodgers

6. Tom Brady

7. Matthew Stafford

8. Justin Herbert

9. Tua

10. Lamar Jackson

11. Jalen Hurts

12. Kyler Murray

Then you have an argument for Dak, or Carr, or Cousins, or Goff, or Russell Wilson, Justin Fields, JimmyG, Purdy, Mac Jones, Geno Smith. Imo Dak isn’t definitively better than any of these guys. 

That puts Dak in the 13-22 range as a QB. 

This is supported with his stats. 16th in ANY/A, 14th in cmpl%, 5th in TD%, but 33rd in INT%, 17th in passer rating, 12th in QBR. He isn’t Elite. Mediocre might sound harsh, but that’s what he is. Use the word average if you’d like. 

He is currently scheduled to have the 2nd highest cap hit of any player in the NFL for 2023. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DaBoys said:

Couple of points: We may have gone 12-5, but Dak was 8-4. 9-5 including playoff’s. 

my QB ranks:

1. Pat Mahomes

2. Joe Burrow

3. Josh Allen

4. Trevor Lawrence 

5. Aaron Rodgers

6. Tom Brady

7. Matthew Stafford

8. Justin Herbert

9. Tua

10. Lamar Jackson

11. Jalen Hurts

12. Kyler Murray

Then you have an argument for Dak, or Carr, or Cousins, or Goff, or Russell Wilson, Justin Fields, JimmyG, Purdy, Mac Jones, Geno Smith. Imo Dak isn’t definitively better than any of these guys. 

That puts Dak in the 13-22 range as a QB. 

This is supported with his stats. 16th in ANY/A, 14th in cmpl%, 5th in TD%, but 33rd in INT%, 17th in passer rating, 12th in QBR. He isn’t Elite. Mediocre might sound harsh, but that’s what he is. Use the word average if you’d like. 

He is currently scheduled to have the 2nd highest cap hit of any player in the NFL for 2023. 

Don't want to defend Dak by any means here but the list is a bit off.

Rodgers did not play well this year and his unknown of playing or not playing. 

Brady is 76 years old.

Tua still in concussion protocol after a month with numerous head issues already.

Stafford had back surgery and played terrible.

I may take Dak over those 4 guys. I would have Dak in the Cousin's, Goff, Carr tier. Can be pretty good with great talent.

I'd also take the potential and rookie contracts of Fields, Young and Stroud over Dak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPJ said:

Don't want to defend Dak by any means here but the list is a bit off.

Rodgers did not play well this year and his unknown of playing or not playing. 

Brady is 76 years old.

Tua still in concussion protocol after a month with numerous head issues already.

Stafford had back surgery and played terrible.

I may take Dak over those 4 guys. I would have Dak in the Cousin's, Goff, Carr tier. Can be pretty good with great talent.

I'd also take the potential and rookie contracts of Fields, Young and Stroud over Dak.

My list is based on who I think is the better QB as of right now if all are healthy. If I’m starting a franchise then yeah, Stafford, Rodgers, and Brady would get bumped off. If I’m starting a season though, I’m probably putting them ahead of Dak. Tua was amazing in the games he did play, and hopefully makes a full recovery. I think when going off of God given ability Tua has the edge on Dak. No one was ever Tanking for Dak, but Tanking for Tua made sense. 

And yes I expect 1 or 2 of Young, Stroud, or Levis to surpass Dak. That was the problem with the argument that Daks contract would make sense when the older guys like Rodgers and Brady retire. It didn’t factor in guys like Burrow and Lawrence passing him up with their performance. 

18 hours ago, atran35 said:

So, you would rather sell off all the talent we have and start over than bring in the 1 or 2 pieces that can put us over the top???

Thus team won 12 games 2 years in a row. Went WC last year and Div round this year.

Both games list in post season can be traced to the poor QB play.

We didn't get outplayed. The plays were there to be made. Our QB simply didn't make them.

Take the TY Hilton/ Lamb seam route. If Dak even glanced at the left side of the field before that ball was snapped he would have seen TD written all over it. But he locked onto Lamb and as a result threw a low percentage pass resulting in an Inc.

He does this a lot, locks onto 1 guy, hence the multiple picks. His accuracy is terrible.

No, blowing up the team is not the answer, IMO

19 hours ago, atran35 said:

If you could somehow have a GM that drafts like Stephen does, and completely owns the trade market and free agent bargain bin like Howie, you'd have a candidate for GOAT.

Since Andy Reid was made HC of the Eagles in 1999, the Eagles have only had consecutive losing seasons (both 7-9 so not even that bad) once, under Chip Kelly in 2015/2016.

Definitely above Dak

Mahomes
Burrow
Allen
Hurts
LaMar
Goff
Lawrence
Herbert
Stafford

That's 9 for me

In the mix with Dak

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Kirk Cousins
Geno Smith
Tua Tagovailoa
DeShaun Watson
Ryan Tannehill
Kyler Murray

So anywhere from 10th to 18th for me, averages out to 14th. Keep in mind, Dak is on a considerable downward trajectory right now, I probably would've had him... somewhere around 8-10 last year by this same interpretation method.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Danger said:

Definitely above Dak

Mahomes
Burrow
Allen
Hurts
LaMar
Goff
Lawrence
Herbert
Stafford

That's 9 for me

In the mix with Dak

Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers
Kirk Cousins
Geno Smith
Tua Tagovailoa
DeShaun Watson
Ryan Tannehill
Kyler Murray

So anywhere from 10th to 18th for me, averages out to 14th. Keep in mind, Dak is on a considerable downward trajectory right now, I probably would've had him... somewhere around 8-10 last year by this same interpretation method.

Yup. A maybe #12-#14 QB that's one of the highest paid in the league. Pretty clearly why it's so hard for us to win against the good teams.

On 1/27/2023 at 1:23 PM, atran35 said:

They were a play or two from probably bring in the NFC Championship. They have had back to back 12+ win seasons. 

But yes.. BURN IT ALL DOWN