What should Dallas do at QB?

Dallas94Ware

What should Dallas do at QB?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dallas...

• Ride out the storm with Rush/DiNucci until Dak returns?
    • Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo?
    • Trade for another player (put name in post below)?
    • Garrett Gilbert was not all that bad..is he still available?
    • Put Dak on permanant IR and bank on a top draft choice?
    • Sign available free agent/practice squad player (name below)

6 hours ago, DaBoys said:

These are the dark ages you guys were scared of. As I said, that league no longer exists. Now imagine what a 1st round pick could do? 1989 was a long time ago

The Dark ages was from 2000 (Aikmans Retirement) to 2006 (Romo first start). 

Randal Cunningham, Anthony Wright, He who shall not be named, Clint Stoerner, Ryan Leaf, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe (8 starting QB’s in 6 years before between Aikman and Romo. 

6 hours ago, DaBoys said:

These are the dark ages you guys were scared of. As I said, that league no longer exists. Now imagine what a 1st round pick could do? 1989 was a long time ago

Uh huh…and remember who this team wanted in 2016 in the 1st. 

For every Mahomes and Herbert there’s still a Daniel Jones, Trubisky, etc. 

7 hours ago, D82 said:

Uh huh…and remember who this team wanted in 2016 in the 1st. 

For every Mahomes and Herbert there’s still a Daniel Jones, Trubisky, etc. 

So your stance is 1st round QBs aren’t worth the risk. That’s quite the hot take considering the overwhelming evidence suggesting otherwise. I hope you have A/C under that rock

• Like 1

11 hours ago, textaz03 said:

The Dark ages was from 2000 (Aikmans Retirement) to 2006 (Romo first start). 

Randal Cunningham, Anthony Wright, He who shall not be named, Clint Stoerner, Ryan Leaf, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Bledsoe (8 starting QB’s in 6 years before between Aikman and Romo. 

I know what the dark ages are, and that was a completely different league. QBR, Pass yards, and TD averages have all increased,  interceptions rates have decreased across the board. Sacks have decreased. The rules have made things easier on WRs and QBs.

The league does not exist. It’s over. 

EDIT: The 1989 reference was to the last time we drafted a QB round 1. One of the longest droughts in the NFL. Was also the last time we won a SB(s).

Edited by DaBoys

Rush was my pic and like the Minny game he did a okay job as a stop gap.  It is frustrating that Dak was so bad week 1.   Bad games happen for every QB.  Dak wasn’t the only top 10 QB who had a putrid opening game.  One thing though that is a positive is the OL improved in pass blocking but that might just be difference between playing Cincy vrs TB.  I know everyone says people view Dak with rose colored glasses well I hope Rush doesn’t get the same treatment mostly  we shall see

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

So your stance is 1st round QBs aren’t worth the risk. That’s quite the hot take considering the overwhelming evidence suggesting otherwise. I hope you have A/C under that rock

No…my stance is the front office doesn’t know how to evaluate them and would likely take the worst of whoever is available. 

Unless they luck into the best one like they did with Romo and Prescott.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, D82 said:

No…my stance is the front office doesn’t know how to evaluate them and would likely take the worst of whoever is available. 

I half agree with you on this I always figure a 1st round qb is a crap shoot rarely is it a given unless you get a Manning.  Even I think Mahomes was not a given if he had to play as a rook for the wrong team. 

1 hour ago, D82 said:

There's some logic there.  Manziel, and Lynch come to mind.  The counter is look at 1989.  Some experts suggested Dallas take Mandarich.  That would've been a disaster. I said this before.  Trust your board.  If a QB is there and you have him rated accordingly pull the trigger.  Said QB works out and you walk away from Dak.  One can dream right?

2 minutes ago, quiller said:

I half agree with you on this I always figure a 1st round qb is a crap shoot rarely is it a given unless you get a Manning.  Even I think Mahomes was not a given if he had to play as a rook for the wrong team. 

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/nfl-draft-round-round-qb-study-1994-2016

If you value odds your best chance to get a good QB is in the 1st and it’s not even close really. 

This was written after Prescotts rookie year:

The truth is that teams still have to consider the top 40 picks as the most probable spot to land a quarterback of Prescott's caliber. His success keeps the dream alive that a quarterback can be found later, but it's just not the reality of the NFL. Every NFL draft now comes with a reminder that Tom Brady was a sixth-round pick, yet among the 92 quarterbacks drafted in the fifth round or later since 2001, only three have thrown at least 1,000 passes:”

24 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/nfl-draft-round-round-qb-study-1994-2016

If you value odds your best chance to get a good QB is in the 1st and it’s not even close really. 

This was written after Prescotts rookie year:

The truth is that teams still have to consider the top 40 picks as the most probable spot to land a quarterback of Prescott's caliber. His success keeps the dream alive that a quarterback can be found later, but it's just not the reality of the NFL. Every NFL draft now comes with a reminder that Tom Brady was a sixth-round pick, yet among the 92 quarterbacks drafted in the fifth round or later since 2001, only three have thrown at least 1,000 passes:”

Oh I 100% agree your best and only shot at getting a top flight QB is in the first round just understand that just because you draft a QB in the 1st round even top ten that there is no guarantee you get a Allen as opposed to a Goff or Wentz.  

17 minutes ago, quiller said:

Oh I 100% agree your best and only shot at getting a top flight QB is in the first round just understand that just because you draft a QB in the 1st round even top ten that there is no guarantee you get a Allen as opposed to a Goff or Wentz.  

Having said that, guys with the athletic profile of Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, and Pat Mahomes will never be found out of the first round. Those arms aren’t found in round two. 

They have ceilings that trump guys like Dak Prescott. Dak is maxed out, and hit his ceiling as a top 12 ish QB. Above average is his calling card and that’s amazing considering he was a 4th round pick.

If you want elite then you have to draft an elite prospect. There is no amount of coaching and development that will make Dak 6’6”, twice as fast, and have a rocket laser cannon for an arm. 

Just because you have those traits you aren’t guaranteed success but some things can be developed something’s can’t. You have to give yourself the best chance. 

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Having said that, guys with the athletic profile of Josh Allen, Justin Herbert, and Pat Mahomes will never be found out of the first round. Those arms aren’t found in round two. 

They have ceilings that trump guys like Dak Prescott. Dak is maxed out, and hit his ceiling as a top 12 ish QB. Above average is his calling card and that’s amazing considering he was a 4th round pick.

If you want elite then you have to draft an elite prospect. There is no amount of coaching and development that will make Dak 6’6”, twice as fast, and have a rocket laser cannon for an arm. 

Just because you have those traits you aren’t guaranteed success but some things can be developed something’s can’t. You have to give yourself the best chance. 

You said it best.  If you want elite, you have to draft an elite prospect.

• Like 1

We keeping bringing up Goff and Wentz like they are the absolute worst. But both have made it to the SB, both looked better this year than Dak did against TB, and both have a QBR over 100 after 2 games this year. Dak left the TB game with a 47 QBR. 

God forbid we risk drafting a Carson Wentz for a chance at Josh Allen. We’d be totally screwed like we are now.