What should Dallas do at QB?

Dallas94Ware

What should Dallas do at QB?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Dallas...

• Ride out the storm with Rush/DiNucci until Dak returns?
    • Trade for Jimmy Garoppolo?
    • Trade for another player (put name in post below)?
    • Garrett Gilbert was not all that bad..is he still available?
    • Put Dak on permanant IR and bank on a top draft choice?
    • Sign available free agent/practice squad player (name below)

2 hours ago, pf9 said:

We know that Jerry Jones wants a QB controversy if the Cowboys continue to do well without Dak.

Does he have the leverage to make it happen though?

I hope so. I hope Rush does well enough that Jerry insists on playing the owner card and says Rush remains the starter. Then trades Dak to any team and receives the typical return for their top players.

I hope all this comes true if for no other reason than I’m hopeful I won’t have to read anymore Dak banter, good or bad, on this board. 

20 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I hope so. I hope Rush does well enough that Jerry insists on playing the owner card and says Rush remains the starter. Then trades Dak to any team and receives the typical return for their top players.

I hope all this comes true if for no other reason than I’m hopeful I won’t have to read anymore Dak banter, good or bad, on this board. 

It'll just start over with the next QB...

While I am not a huge fan of Jerry especially when he opens his mouth and gets involved with the team and media this is a media biased story when there really is nothing there.   I listened to what he said and basically he said “He would love Rush to do what Dak did win 10 games in a row”. If this caused a QB battle so be it.  The QB he called it “delema” was more based on a  Cowboy winning streak.  Jerry never said Coop beating Cincy was enough to cause a QB controversy or that there was a QB controversy 

• Like 1

You guys do realize Dak was in Mvp consideration the majority of a season twice in his career, right?

Im not saying he is Rodgers or something. But the guy has been tremendous for this franchise over the last how many years now? Career not even close to over and how many team records has he set?

And youre all ready to jump from his bandwagon for a guy with, what, like 2 career TD passes in 3 starts? 

Man this fanbase is insane sometimes.

Ya'll were so anti CeeDee last night after a drop, then were essentially crowning him into the HOF after that game clinching drive.

Fickle.

Edited by Dallas94Ware
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

If we are being honest, the only advantage that Dak has over Rush is athleticism.  They both require a running game to lean on.  Rush throws a more consistently catchable ball.  I also see that Rush will get better with experience.  

Rush play up to this point has been pretty great. The biggest difference up to this point is that Rush hasn’t hesitated to throw it downfield, where Dak has. 

I want to see Rush play against the Rams. In his 3 starts, he’s not been pressured at all in the pocket. He needs to face a top defense, as we would learn a lot about him.

9 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Rush play up to this point has been pretty great. The biggest difference up to this point is that Rush hasn’t hesitated to throw it downfield, where Dak has. 

I want to see Rush play against the Rams. In his 3 starts, he’s not been pressured at all in the pocket. He needs to face a top defense, as we would learn a lot about him.

Youre also comparing two entirely different gameplans. 

Dak is more gifted physically... more talented. So his route combinations are deeper, more complex, allowing for more frequent big play opportunities. Which as we had seen, made for some awesome connections downfield with Gallup and middle of the field play making tackle breaking chances for Amari Cooper.

With Rush..his arm is limited. His legs are limited. So its all about quick high efficiency passing and playing defense. Its more conservative. By a wide margin. A safe way to play with a backup passer. Against bad to subpar defenses, with struggling offenses as well, it works. But play that way against a quality D that tackles well and an offense that can actually score points, and its a recipe for disaster. Which we saw when last Dak was injured and we had backups managing a similar gameplan (minus this dominating front 7).

Dak did similar his rookie year. Good D, good ground game, easy gameplan that kept the playmakers in charge and him limiting his turnover chances with that simple gameplan. But when called upon to step up and deliver big boy throws against top Defenses and good offenses (Pittsburgh) he did so. And it made bringing in 37 year old Romo an impossibility. Youd have lost the locker room.

Rush will have his chance to deliver that same performance against a top D and point scoring O if he plays against LAR. But, lets be honest..his lack of mobility, overall lack of pro level velocity on his throws, are going to make it very hard for him to deliver a Dak level performance against such a team.

Every QB has tendencies, like a tell in a poker player. It could be entirely possible that opposing defenses just haven't had enough film on this guy to know how to scheme for him.

Give him 2 or 3 more games. Some DC will figure out what to look for and how to use it against him.

Now,contrast that with the possibility that, perhaps the kid is THAT good. Meaning, in spite of the DC adjustments, Rush may be able to adjust to the and continue to have success.

One thing is certain, the no can play. To what point, time will tell. But I am enjoying the success he is having to date.

41 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Every QB has tendencies, like a tell in a poker player. It could be entirely possible that opposing defenses just haven't had enough film on this guy to know how to scheme for him.

Give him 2 or 3 more games. Some DC will figure out what to look for and how to use it against him.

Now,contrast that with the possibility that, perhaps the kid is THAT good. Meaning, in spite of the DC adjustments, Rush may be able to adjust to the and continue to have success.

One thing is certain, the no can play. To what point, time will tell. But I am enjoying the success he is having to date.

If the discussion is about Rush, then maybe you are right.  But the truth is that it is not so much about Rush as it is about the ability to run the ball.  When the offensive line controls the LOS like it did yesterday (and to a lesser extent against the Bengals), Rush will do just fine.  

47 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Aside from the Lamb drop down the field, Rush has trouble getting the ball high enough with enough velocity to complete it. We saw this on a well defended Lamb target where, if that ball is a little harder thrown, its all CeeDee, and on a Brown target where if that ball isnt dropping so rapidly Brown is in the end zone. 

And if you look back at the Bengals game, there were two near interceptions that SHOULD have been picked, that were the result of not having the arm to thread the needle he was attempting to thread. 

Rush is doing what a good backup should do...make careful, high efficiency throws, lean on your defense, know the offense well enough to check out of a call that clearly wont work, and dont do anything stupid. But his limitations are plain as day, and long term, simply not sustainable.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2022 at 6:58 AM, Dallas94Ware said:

You guys do realize Dak was in Mvp consideration the majority of a season twice in his career, right?

Im not saying he is Rodgers or something. But the guy has been tremendous for this franchise over the last how many years now? Career not even close to over and how many team records has he set?

And youre all ready to jump from his bandwagon for a guy with, what, like 2 career TD passes in 3 starts? 

Man this fanbase is insane sometimes.

Ya'll were so anti CeeDee last night after a drop, then were essentially crowning him into the HOF after that game clinching drive.

Fickle.

The fanbase is insane because the owner of the team is insane. It trickles down. We are what we get. 

Being fickle is part of being a fan. You love your team so much that they upset you enough to fall out of love with em only to be kissing behind later on an falling right back in love with em. 

One thing I notice about Rush is he trust his WRs and throws with anticipation. Dak has a tendency to wait for his man to get turn his head around before throwing. This has been shown on film footages. I thought he got out of that. Hopefully, he takes mental reps. 

1 hour ago, atran35 said:

One thing I notice about Rush is he trust his WRs and throws with anticipation. Dak has a tendency to wait for his man to get turn his head around before throwing. This has been shown on film footages. I thought he got out of that. Hopefully, he takes mental reps. 

This is very true and it’s one of the main reasons that Rush throws a more catchable ball.  Dak requires an open reason at the point he throws the ball.  When he doesn’t have that we see a lot of dirt balls.  It’s the reason he never connected with Dez but tony did.  Rush is already showing a better connection with Lamb and Brown than Dak ever has.  It’s also the reason that Schultz has basically disappeared from the offense.  Schultz can get open quick and Dak is real comfortable making that throw.  But he’s not comfortable throwing anybody open.