Injured Eagles Vets Still Helping Team #ThatsMyTeamMate

Phire

Source

Take it from a guy who has covered the NFL for 35 years: This isn’t how it usually is with guys on injured reserve. When players get hurt, they generally are overcome with a sense of uselessness and self-pity.

They’re on the outside looking in, and it’s tough to deal with. They stay away from the locker room because they feel they have nothing to contribute. But that’s not what’s happening at NovaCare.

Guys on IR usually are out of sight, out of mind,’’ Barner said. “They’re not here. You don’t hear from them.

SPROLES

Sproles, who is back home in suburban San Diego recuperating from the torn ACL and broken forearm that ended his season seven weeks ago, has called Barner regularly since his injury to offer him punt-return advice. Barner, who is third in the league in punt-return average since replacing Sproles, relishes the calls.

“He called me before I even got here and said some things to me,’’ Barner said. “He called me before my second game [against Arizona]. He was fresh out of surgery. Literally. He had just gotten out of surgery.

“He’ll call and say, ‘Hey, this punter is going to do this this week,’ or ‘This is how he likes to kick and you have to look out for this.’

“He’s been absolutely huge for me. As far as getting me ready to go out there and return punts, there’s no one outside of [special-teams coordinator Dave] Fipp who’s had a bigger impact on me.’’

PETERS

Peters has regularly texted his left-tackle replacement, Halapoulivaati Vaitai, with advice about opponents and technique. He also leaves voice messages on right tackle Lane Johnson’s cell phone at halftime of games with suggestions for him and the rest of the line.

“I’ll come in and check my phone at halftime, and he’ll have some advice for me,’’ Johnson said. “ You’re really not going to find a better coach. He’s played so long and so well and knows these guys inside and out. He helps just with his knowledge.’’

HICKS & MARAGOS

Hicks and Maragos are at the NovaCare Complex every day, participating in meetings, offering advice, and encouraging their teammates when they’re not rehabbing.

“Jordan’s played a key role,’’ linebackers coach Ken Flajole said. “He’s in our meetings taking notes like he’s going to play. He studies the tape and sees things, and when he gets back into the locker room, he passes on some tips to people. He’ll say, ‘Hey, this is what I saw in this formation and maybe we can cheat our alignment here.’

“He wants to be a part of it. I kidded him a while back. I said, ‘Are you driving your wife nuts now?’ He said, ‘Yeah, I need to get out of the house. She wants me here [at the practice facility]. I need to be here.’ I said, ‘Well, then come on. We got a spot for you.’ ’’

Archived