Is Geno Smith an upgrade over aging QB Russell Wilson?

NudeTayne

Pizza Roll  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Is Geno an upgrade over Russell Wilson?

• 6'3"
    • The stats speak for themselves
  2. 2. Should Elway be on the hot seat?

• 🎶 It's Elway...Elway or the highway 🎶
    • That's just John's cheeks getting hot after a couple nips.
  3. 3. Which Noah FANT do you prefer?

• Orange
    • Purple
    • Pro Bowler
    • Strawberry

I'll admit that twice the touchdowns in a third fewer throws (against a better defense, I'll add) is impressive enough, but some of the intangibles like a better personality really shine through for Geno Smith. The body language of his receivers said clearly that they do not find Smith's vibe to be weird or frankly off-putting.

Now add the haul with players like franchise LT Charles Cross and promising young pass rusher Boye Mafe, as well as '23 1st, 2nd and 5th rounders and we're getting into Jamal Adams trade territory. 

Can Geno keep it up going forward? I'm not certain, but it's going to be a pleasure to watch. Go ahead and chime in, sports.

Edited by NudeTayne
  • Like 1

Not an upgrade but RW isn’t worth 50 million a year right now

He lost his mobility which is a large part of his game and at 50 million this means 2 or 3 quality olineman less on your team. He won’t be Brady or even Rodgers old pocket passer tend to age better. You want to be a quality pocket passer into your mid 30 or early 40s need to take pay cut.

• Like 1

No but Wilson is extremely overrated and has been for awhile. The dude has glaring flaws as a passer. Pretty much never takes anything easy over the middle and either launches the ball or dumps it off. Also while he's mobile, he usually causes issues for his offensive line with the way he moves in the pocket basically negating all leverage and positioning their scheme has. I get he hasn't had good lines, but he puts them in a far worse situation. He's also not nearly as quick and mobile on top of that. He's still good, but people act like he's some super elite no brainer QB. There were reasons that Seattle didn't "let him cook".

• Like 6

As a long time Seahawk fan I think Denver's offense looks suspiciously like the  Seahawks offense the last few years.  Russell Wilson has a hard time seeing the middle of the field, he always has. He has been elite, but we will see how his game ages. I knew the Seahawks seen it, and I'm glad they got a haul for him instead of letting him walk in free agency. 

Saying that, The field goal decision was a terrible one. I don't care what analytics says. Going for a record field goal in a hostile environment in a goal that  is notoriously hard to kick into.  Russell was having a pretty good game though, the two RedZone fumbles weren't his fault. I blame the loss on Hackett.  The team lost on special teams, made stupid penalties and were just plain out coaches. 

Edited by SHONUFF
  • Like 1

I thought Denver's offense was supposed to pop?

Oh mann, Jeudy...Sutton...Hamler....Alber O.....maaayan

To be frank, I thought that unit was getting overrated big time. Sutton being drafted in the 2nd round in fantasy - lol. However, Russ still did put up a ton of yards. They had some bad moments, but really should have won

Edited by BigTrav

2 hours ago, lancerman said:

No but Wilson is extremely overrated and has been for awhile. The dude has glaring flaws as a passer. Pretty much never takes anything easy over the middle and either launches the ball or dumps it off. Also while he's mobile, he usually causes issues for his offensive line with the way he moves in the pocket basically negating all leverage and positioning their scheme has. I get he hasn't had good lines, but he puts them in a far worse situation. He's also not nearly as quick and mobile on top of that. He's still good, but people act like he's some super elite no brainer QB. There were reasons that Seattle didn't "let him cook".

I mean he had 40 touchdowns two years ago? Last season was the first time he consistently looked shaky. And even then he had that finger injury. Obviously this season will provide some more answers as to whether or not he's still capable of being one of the better sky maestros around. Definitely lost a step, and maybe if he can't rely on his sandlot style anymore he'll truly be burnt. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe

so much this

He's definitely got some limitations, or issues that you have to work around.  But really, most QBs do.  When they can be as good as Wilson, you sorta live with those things and try to put the pieces in place around them to maximize their strengths/minimize their weaknesses.  It's just that with Wilson, they're kind of peculiar strengths/blindspots.  Trying to put a team around to complement him isn't the typical stuff like, "give him good protection and some precise slot receivers/TEs to work those "easy completions" over the middle.  It's like...try to get some OLine with eyes in the back of their heads and a couple scrappy, physical receivers to freelance downfield and with a game of 500 when Wilson finally spins his way out of the pocket and fires it downfield.

He's definitely an oddball quarterback to build a team around though.  You pretty much have to throw out of the book of conventional wisdom when it comes to supporting pieces and OCs and everything.

8 minutes ago, BigTrav said:

I thought Denver's offense was supposed to pop?

Oh mann, Jeudy...Sutton...Hamler....Alber O.....maaayan

To be frank, I thought that unit was getting overrated big time. Sutton being drafted in the 2nd round in fantasy - lol. However, Russ still did put up a ton of yards. They had some bad moments, but really should have won

It felt like it took a while for Wilson and Sutton to get on the same page, but it did at least seem like they started to mesh eventually.  I still think that's going to be a bigtime duo.  Just a little slow out of the gate.  A lot of moving pieces, and a lot going on to expect seamless transition i think.  Building chemistry with a whole new set of guys, a new coach who clearly has a few things to figure out, and that somehow being his first game with his new team and all that.