Week 2 GDT - Houston @ Denver

ET80

15 hours ago, Drained said:

Davis Mills couldn't have picked a worse team to go to honestly, even if he has potential, he's stuck on a team with possibly the worst losing culture in the NFL.

Counterpoint - this is the only team where he's not holding a clipboard for the entirety of his career. Literally anywhere else in the NFL, he's a backup. Of 32 starting QBs, he's probably ranked 32 - I'd honestly take backups such as Gardner Minshew or Drew Lock over him (they've proven more as starters) and I'd probably consider rookies such as Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis ahead of him too. So... ranking him 32 is generous, if anything.

I think the expectations were too high for a guy who was the 8th QB taken in his draft; He had a middling college career at best, and never really did anything to get the praise he received. In all honesty, he had a game against a injured LAC team (no Joey Bosa or Derwin James) and an almost-comeback against the Titans - and suddenly he's potentially a guy you choose over a top tier guy in '23? Yeah, that never made sense to me (and I voiced it as such). 

Davis Mills is just another iteration of Brian Hoyer, Ryan Mallett or Tom Savage - another faceless QB who is clearly punching out of his weight class. You could surround him with Andre, Hopkins, Foster and a Kubiak OL and you'd still get results like yesterday.

15 hours ago, Drained said:

No receiving options except Cooks, good oline players that can't get it done even though it's ENTIRELY possible (probably a coaching/scheming issue), old school NFL coach in a modern era and bad playcalling.

Counterpoint - Mitch Trubisky went 12-4 under similar circumstances in Chicago. 

Situation dictates a lot, but you have to do your job, too. Mills is missing open guys - Nico Collins is getting open, Mills is sailing it on him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tab said:

we lost this game but i couldnt help but think "thank goodness we arent the broncos". that coaching staff has issues big time. its like watching Bill O'Brien coach again

My takeaway - Russell Wilson might not be as good as his salary would dictate. He had very happy feet in the pocket, didn't throw with any sort of touch, tried weird arm angles while off balanced, etc.

He found a groove late in the game, but I'm really wondering how good Wilson actually is after that one.

• Like 2

Really tuned into this game for some reason. Been a while since I've posted you know how life is, but I just can't understand how we have same middling philosophy on offense as we had with the last regime. Can we not establish a system like a predominantly run oriented offense since that is actually our strength. Watching Mills make errant after errant pass I couldn't but wonder why is he given this much leeway to chunk up horrendous throws. Except for that one slant route I can't remember any bread basket catch where the receiver didn't have to go up and make a play. Gaddamit I know we have a bad team but at at least play to our strengths.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jaytrajik said:

Really tuned into this game for some reason. Been a while since I've posted you know how life is, but I just can't understand how we have same middling philosophy on offense as we had with the last regime. Can we not establish a system like a predominantly run oriented offense since that is actually our strength. Watching Mills make errant after errant pass I couldn't but wonder why is he given this much leeway to chunk up horrendous throws. Except for that one slant route I can't remember any bread basket catch where the receiver didn't have to go up and make a play. Gaddamit I know we have a bad team but at at least play to our strengths.

Kyle Allen coming soon

• Like 1