Week 2 GDT: San Francisco 49ers vs Seattle Seahawks

J-ALL-DAY

20 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Kyle won't nuke a season if Trey gets hurt and not have a capable backup. This is a fortuitous situation with Jimmy on the roster, and after all it took to even get here, and consulting with a panel of veterans on making that decision. The squawking from the peanut gallery won't change that, and probably even the feelings from some players in his own locker room after one game in a monsoon. 

After one game, i agree. That's just noise right now (though that is what they signed up for). I think it's different if you're 8 games in and a team that believes it should be a super bowl contender is 2-6. I can't really blame them for that either. At that point, if they make the move, I kind of get it. I won't have any major issues. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

After one game, i agree. That's just noise right now (though that is what they signed up for). I think it's different if you're 8 games in and a team that believes it should be a super bowl contender is 2-6. I can't really blame them for that either. At that point, if they make the move, I kind of get it. I won't have any major issues. 

If we lose to the Seahawks, I actually think it will start to be pretty palpable internally.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Oh, I definitely think he'd pull Trey. I think Kyle wants to win. I think that is the most important thing to him. The question will be whether or not he can find the sweet spot. Even if this team starts 0-4, is that really giving Trey a long enough leash? I don't know if he'd pull the trigger at 0-4, but also waiting any longer would maybe result in a lost season. I think the spot I would be looking at is if the team is 1-5 or 2-6. I think if we find ourselves in those situations, he would make the switch. Especially because I do think the locker room component is real in this situation. 

I think it would have to be a horrendous game from Trey to be pulled (like 4 turnovers in a half bad) and then he'd be a starer again the next game. I do think Kyle's biggest thing is winning and he knows he can't do it with Jimmy at the highest level. It's still a possibility with Trey.

I dont buy the locker room argument plays a factor at all. While I'm sure there are guys that would prefer Jimmy because that's just how people work, they have favorites, 99 percent of them understand its a business aspect as well.

On a side note, what is the rain forecast for Sunday looking like?

18 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

If we lose to the Seahawks, I actually think it will start to be pretty palpable internally.

I think it will depend on how they lose, though.  If the defense gifts 100 yards in penalties to Seattle that results in multiple scores on drives that should have stalled....again, I just don't see how the quarterback position is even in the discussion.  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

If the team is 2-6. what would be the point of pulling him at that point? The team would have to likely go 8-1 to make the playoffs. And while we ended the season 7-2 last season, I think he will just ride it out. He wants to win and he will win his fair share of games this season but he also doesn't want Lance to go into next offseason having a grand total of 10 starts. The pressure will be INSANE and he will get the bust tag and folks will question Shanny/Lynch even more.

IF Lance gets pulled, it is likely to happen after four games more than after 8 games. Because at that point you just have to ride it out. If the team is 0-4 with the games all being winnable, then I think Shanny could possibly look to make the move.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

If the team is 2-6. what would be the point of pulling him at that point? The team would have to likely go 8-1 to make the playoffs. And while we ended the season 7-2 last season, I think he will just ride it out. He wants to win and he will win his fair share of games this season but he also doesn't want Lance to go into next offseason having a grand total of 10 starts. The pressure will be INSANE and he will get the bust tag and folks will question Shanny/Lynch even more.

IF Lance gets pulled, it is likely to happen after four games more than after 8 games. Because at that point you just have to ride it out. If the team is 0-4 with the games all being winnable, then I think Shanny could possibly look to make the move.

This is the NFC. 9-8 probably works. It'll be Shanny's job to figure out the sweet spot which is going to be difficult for him, that's what I was saying earlier. 

Just now, Forge said:

This is the NFC. 9-8 probably works. 

Even then, it will take another 7-2 run to get there. If Shanny feels like the season is slipping, he will make a move sooner rather than later. Once you get to week 9 or 10, it makes no sense making the move. So if Jimmy comes in and loses and we are out of the playoff race, does Shanny go back to Lance? This is why you make the move when the team is 1-3 or 0-4 and losing winnable games...IF you are to make a move. That gives Jimmy enough time to get the team back in the playoff race. 

The team just needs to win on Sunday and split the next two games...Which are most winnable. They will be fine. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Even then, it will take another 7-2 run to get there. If Shanny feels like the season is slipping, he will make a move sooner rather than later. Once you get to week 9 or 10, it makes no sense making the move. So if Jimmy comes in and loses and we are out of the playoff race, does Shanny go back to Lance? This is why you make the move when the team is 1-3 or 0-4 and losing winnable games...IF you are to make a move. That gives Jimmy enough time to get the team back in the playoff race. 

The team just needs to win on Sunday and split the next two games...Which are most winnable. They will be fine. 

7-2 last year. The 2012 Washington team was 3-6 and won 7 straight. He started considering it last year reportedly around Indy / Chicago and we were 3-4 after the latter. But the team probably isn't out of it if they are 2-5 or 3-6 or something. 

He may pull the trigger earlier, that wouldn't surprise me, but he's going to want to give him some sort of leash, so my money would probably be between 6-8 games as opposed to 4. But it could depend on just how bad the team is. 

If he wants to go back to Trey once the team is out of the race, sure. 

Bottom line is that it's a very real possibility that Lance gets pulled if the team struggles. Debating when it may happen is semantical nonsense. 

45 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

If Lance is 0-2 when this team expected to be 2-0, and those were supposed to be the "soft landing" I could definitely see it start to get real. Not sure when he would ultimately choose to do it, but I'd start assuming that his benching is basically a matter of when. 

5 of the next 7 are are Denver, Rams, KC, Chargers, Rams lol 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

7-2 last year. The 2012 Washington team was 3-6 and won 7 straight. He started considering it last year reportedly around Indy / Chicago and we were 3-4 after the latter. But the team probably isn't out of it if they are 2-5 or 3-6 or something. 

He may pull the trigger earlier, that wouldn't surprise me, but he's going to want to give him some sort of leash, so my money would probably be between 6-8 games as opposed to 4. But it could depend on just how bad the team is. 

If he wants to go back to Trey once the team is out of the race, sure. 

Bottom line is that it's a very real possibility that Lance gets pulled if the team struggles. Debating when it may happen is semantical nonsense. 

I mean the Washington team had no playoff aspirations at the beginning of the season and there was never any question on if RG3 was going to finish the season as the starter or not. 

I think it is nonsense period, with a 3-6 record or not. Shanny basically all but admitted that he expects Trey to have struggles early in the season and then get better and become a difference maker later in the season and compared it to Jimmy in 2019. So why exactly would he pull Trey halfway through the season when he knows it's going to be a bit rocky and Trey will peak later on? If he's going to pull him at that point, then he should have brought Jimmy back and named him a starter earlier in camp. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean the Washington team had no playoff aspirations at the beginning of the season and there was never any question on if RG3 was going to finish the season as the starter or not. 

I think it is nonsense period, with a 3-6 record or not. Shanny basically all but admitted that he expects Trey to have struggles early in the season and then get better and become a difference maker later in the season and compared it to Jimmy in 2019. So why exactly would he pull Trey halfway through the season when he knows it's going to be a bit rocky and Trey will peak later on? If he's going to pull him at that point, then he should have brought Jimmy back and named him a starter earlier in camp. 

The point of mentioning Washington is to show that Shanny has been in multiple situations where a team started very poorly halfway through the season and it still "wasn't over". 

Shanny says a lot of stuff. I don't put much stock in anything he says.  Does he want to win games or not? If one isn't winning them and the other has shown an ability to, he has an entire locker room to look in the face and explain himself to. If he's okay with doing that and they are as well, that's probably best for Trey. Let him play through it. But that's going to be a tough bit to swallow for some, I'd wager. 

Maybe he has no intention of playing Jimmy at all...maybe he does. Can't really tell the people that believe that he has no faith in Trey that they are wrong any more. They could very well be right. We have no idea. 

Trey wins games, it's not a problem. I don't envy the position if he doesn't though. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

If this doesn't tell you Trey Lance is on the hot seat, I don't know what will 🤣

In all seriousness, i wonder if the Niners are exploring a Jimmy trade

Wouldn't be surprised if Jerry saying Dak wouldn't go on IR was a negotiation tactic to lower the price of a Jimmy G (or even Minshew or Rudolph or whatever) trade. Starting Cooper Rush for 2 months likely tanks the Cowboys season. They should be in on Jimmy G, pending the price

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

The point of mentioning Washington is to show that Shanny has been in multiple situations where a team started very poorly halfway through the season and it still "wasn't over". 

Shanny says a lot of stuff. I don't put much stock in anything he says.  Does he want to win games or not? If one isn't winning them and the other has shown an ability to, he has an entire locker room to look in the face and explain himself to. If he's okay with doing that and they are as well, that's probably best for Trey. Let him play through it. But that's going to be a tough bit to swallow for some, I'd wager. 

Maybe he has no intention of playing Jimmy at all...maybe he does. Can't really tell the people that believe that he has no faith in Trey that they are wrong any more. They could very well be right. We have no idea. 

Trey wins games, it's not a problem. I don't envy the position if he doesn't though. 

So let's say Shanny pulls Trey after 7-8 games after a slow start....What will he do next season? Is the roster no longer going to be a SB unit or at the very least a playoff contender? Will Trey be going to season 3 with 10 starts and once again on a short leash? Lance has as few reps as damn near anyone in history that was drafted in the top 10. He's going to eventually need to play....and play A LOT to go through growing pains and become the player he is going to become. Shanny knows this as well. Pulling him after 8 games is going to put him in the same position as next year and he will have to go through it all again. He's invested too much in Lance to just pull him if struggles for a stretch. Lance is busting is one thing after the huge investment but Lance busting without even having a season worth of starts? Yeah, Shanny's definitely not going to want that to happen as that will be on his head for the rest of his Niners tenure.