Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

I'm having a hard time remembering any late round rookies performing as well as MVS did tonight based on the numbers. Trying to decide whether or not it's time to activate wildly unrealistic expectations, or if I should just assume preseason is preseason.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I'm having a hard time remembering any late round rookies performing as well as MVS did tonight based on the numbers. Trying to decide whether or not it's time to activate wildly unrealistic expectations, or if I should just assume preseason is preseason.

Hopefully he's not like Janis and is just a preseason warrior (knocks on wood extremely hard) 

11 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Adams, Cobb, Gmo, MVS, ESB, Kumerow, Moore for me currently.

One of those last 3 might get an IR hangnail

The dreaded IR hangnail.   Some of those cases can last for about 4 months.....interesting that is about how long the NFL regular season lasts???

Conspiracy....or just Russian Collusion??

MVS looked like the most dynamic receiver at family night and he did again tonight. Kumerow looked like the savy vet (?), St. Brown looked smooth, Moore has no hands and looks like a lock for the PS. Can't figure out where Yancey fits in. Davis is on the bubble.

Probable WR corps as of tonight: Adams, Cobb, Allison, MVS, Kumerow, ESB. Moore, Yancey, and Davis have to show why they deserve a roster spot. Davis has an argument as a punt returner. Moore and Yancey look like PS candidates. 

I say just keep the 7 top WRs. 

Adams, Cobb, Allison, Kumerow, Moore, MVS, ESB

Usually keeping 6 WRs is the top limit, but this year is different because you got 3 draft picks and two guys in contract years. Cobb (UFA) and Allison (RFA) are FAs after the season... if the rookies and Kumerow are able to step up after the season then you might have your next years 5 WRs without even having to sign a FA or use a draft pick on them. Of you can resign them if you want them.

7 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

Gotta do my 53-man roster prediction to determine whether it's more likely they keep 6 WR or 7. If they keep 6, Kumerow is the odd man out despite being the talk of camp.

Well here is a little cheat sheet for the offense... my defense needs some adjustments. On offense here, the only thing I might change right now is cutting OL Bell and keeping QB Boyle.

On 8/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, Beast said:

Suspension List: RB Aaron Jones

QB (2)   Rodgers  Kizer
RB  (3)  Williams    Montgomery    Mays (Mays is holding Jones spot until suspension is up)
FB  (1)  Ripkowski        
TE   (3)  Graham    Lewis    Kendricks
WR   (7) Adams Cobb Allison Kemerow Moore Valdes-Scantling St. Brown    
OT   (4) Bakhtiari Bulaga Murphy Spriggs
OG  (3)   Taylor McCray Bell       
OC    (2) Linsley  Patrick  

6 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Still early.  Don't mind Rodgers putting the young guys on blast.  Trevor Davis falls into that crew of guys which is a bit concerning since he should know better at this stage.

Same time I'd like Rodgers to have an open mind on the rookies.

Pretty sure Davis has been injured mostly, so I doubt he was participating.  

7 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

Still early.  Don't mind Rodgers putting the young guys on blast.  Trevor Davis falls into that crew of guys which is a bit concerning since he should know better at this stage.

Same time I'd like Rodgers to have an open mind on the rookies.

33 minutes ago, craig said:

Pretty sure Davis has been injured mostly, so I doubt he was participating.  

I don't know if Davis is injured or not this year, but I remember when he got the chance to play at the end of last year and a number of people thought he was giving up on plays before the whistle, and a couple of times the ball was a bit off target making it a hard diving or jumping adjustment ... but Davis didn't even attempt to made the hard adjustment. Making it look worse, the same thing happened to Cobb and he went 100% after a worse throw ball, trying to make the extreme hard adjustment to the ball and got hit in the process... 

Cobb was clearly giving full effort, while Davis seemed to be turning down opportunities to grab the ball... don't get me wrong, they weren't easy, most probably would be incomplete anyways, but at least try, who knows you might catch only 1 of 5, but that 1 might extended a drive and be important.

I have to say I'm very pleased from what I saw from these rookies tonight. I seen guys who can separate from defenders but I'm not gonna get too carried away until I see them do it against # ones. Gmo has great hands but like always he always catches balls with guys draped all over him, you always have to fit it in a tight windows with him. These rookies were getting good separation, we finally got WR's who can stretch the field. If they can do that against starters Aaron will finally stop pouting over losing Jordy. EQ is just what I imagined him to be in this offense, MVS and J'mon  are the icing on the cake. No way any of these guys makes it to the PS they have to be put on the 53.

Not sure if they showed it on TV but there was one play where Kizer ran around for a solid 5 seconds, looked up and all 3 rookie WRs were standing still in the endzone 40 yards downfield covered. On the flip side MVS ran some great routes. He sold a hook and go so well the defender fell and there was no one within 10 yards of him but the QB didn't see it.

Archived