Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

22 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I want RR back far more than I want to see Kendricks back. At least RR cares. Kendricks is one of the most consistently disappointing players I’ve ever seen play for this team. 

Hard to believe, but it is true, RR was a much better player than Kendricks in 2017. RR may not be a blocker and he may be a plodder, but he does not drop many balls.

And the Rams did not miss Lance. At all.

34 minutes ago, gopackgo27 said:
36 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Would you be willing to give up a 2nd round pick if Brate gets a 2nd round RFA tender from TB?

No way, not sure they'd do that tho as he'd cost a lot more and they're already paying D-Jax top money & need to extend Evans. Interesting situation to follow for sure. Tyler Eifert's my guy tho, providing he's healthy enough.

the 2nd round tender will likely be less than $3M.  TB has the cap space to afford that, around $65M.

13 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Hard to believe, but it is true, RR was a much better player than Kendricks in 2017. RR may not be a blocker and he may be a plodder, but he does not drop many balls.

And the Rams did not miss Lance. At all.

Yeah and he'd be a cheap re-sign.  It's not like Kendricks contract is keeping him on the team if it has to be a choice of one or the other.  Rodgers is worth bringing back to compete with whatever else we do at that position.

26 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

Yeah and he'd be a cheap re-sign.  It's not like Kendricks contract is keeping him on the team if it has to be a choice of one or the other.  Rodgers is worth bringing back to compete with whatever else we do at that position.

Green Bay just doesn't have any strength or depth at the TE position. I've been surprised by Kendricks play. (in a bad way)Of course the QB play has to enter into the conversation after last season.

On 1/13/2018 at 12:30 PM, CWood21 said:

As good as Rodgers is, he's not going to magically make ASJ tap into his potential.  You can blame the coaching staff, you can blame the supporting cast, and you can blame whatever else, but the reality is the production hasn't matched the talent level.  I'm not opposed to signing him to a modest deal, say 3/$12M but anymore than that and I easily walk away.  We don't need a superstar TE, although it'd be nice.  We need someone who can be a quality starter, while we develop someone behind him and Kendricks.

Rodgers helped Cook's game tremendously, I  don't think its a stretch to think he can do the same for ASJ who's got similar size and athletic ability.  Cook looked awful the year before he came to GB with less than 40 catches and no TDs.  

We don't need a star but we do need a big athletic TE who can line up anywhere on the LOS.  Cook was a huge reason our offense caught fire in 2016 when we ran the table.   Right now we don't have that.  Kendircks is closer to third string TE IMO than he is a starter.  While Rodgers has ok hands he struggles at every other thing that his position requires.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Lots of discussion on receivers, not a lot of discussion in a receiver thread.  Basically, I wanted to see if complaints of our receiving corps were merited compared to other teams.  I was going to go through and compare our receiving depth to other teams in the league.  I got through our division and one other division and I concluded that yes, our depth does indeed suck.  The only teams I got to that possibly had a worse receiving corps than ours were the Cowboys and the Redskins.  We have to add somebody there.  Unless one of our rookies shows a ****ton during camp.  Problem is that if we wait until after camp, there might not be anybody left.

And this Dez Bryant talk seriously, seriously, seriously has to die.  The Cowboys have a crap receiving corps and they cut him.  We all know it's not about money with Jerry Jones, so if they cut him... You can look at other cuts and see a reason for it.  The Niners cut a lot of veteran defenders because they're rebuilding their defense and the players were flat out old or didn't fit their new scheme.  The Cowboys invested a first round pick in Dez, Jerry loved Dez, the Cowboys don't have squat at WR...

Dez hasn't seen double coverage since 2014.  People like to point to his 15.9 yards per reception in 2016.  I'm not buying it as relevant.  It was on only 50 receptions, and the Cowboys were very clearly the scariest running team in the league that year. 

On 5/26/2018 at 9:32 AM, HorizontoZenith said:

Lots of discussion on receivers, not a lot of discussion in a receiver thread.  Basically, I wanted to see if complaints of our receiving corps were merited compared to other teams.  I was going to go through and compare our receiving depth to other teams in the league.  I got through our division and one other division and I concluded that yes, our depth does indeed suck.  The only teams I got to that possibly had a worse receiving corps than ours were the Cowboys and the Redskins.  We have to add somebody there.  Unless one of our rookies shows a ****ton during camp.  Problem is that if we wait until after camp, there might not be anybody left.

And this Dez Bryant talk seriously, seriously, seriously has to die.  The Cowboys have a crap receiving corps and they cut him.  We all know it's not about money with Jerry Jones, so if they cut him... You can look at other cuts and see a reason for it.  The Niners cut a lot of veteran defenders because they're rebuilding their defense and the players were flat out old or didn't fit their new scheme.  The Cowboys invested a first round pick in Dez, Jerry loved Dez, the Cowboys don't have squat at WR...

Dez hasn't seen double coverage since 2014.  People like to point to his 15.9 yards per reception in 2016.  I'm not buying it as relevant.  It was on only 50 receptions, and the Cowboys were very clearly the scariest running team in the league that year. 

Agree completely. The Packers need to sign a #2 WR. Waiting for cap casualties.....

8 hours ago, Jaegybomb said:

Packers absolutely need to sign a FA WR. Just not one that other teams didn't want.

I know I'm gonna sound like a jackass, but whether or not other teams are interested in someone should have zero bearing on whether or not we are. You just do your own research and do what you feel you should. I doubt they look around and go nobody else wants him so we have to pass too.

Reading about Marshall signing with the Seahawks reminded me that Eric Decker had two 900 yard seasons with whoever was throwing to him in New York and with Aaron Rodgers, Decker at 31 is probably what Jordy would have been at 32.  I'd feel completely confident with Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Eric Decker and our rookies.  Maclin is another good option.  Has never averaged below 11 yards per catch in his career in spite of playing for some bad quarterbacks and some game managers.  He's only 30. 

I'd like to add one of Decker/Maclin, but not Bryant.  We should be talking more about Decker and Maclin. 

18 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Reading about Marshall signing with the Seahawks reminded me that Eric Decker had two 900 yard seasons with whoever was throwing to him in New York and with Aaron Rodgers, Decker at 31 is probably what Jordy would have been at 32.  I'd feel completely confident with Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Eric Decker and our rookies.  Maclin is another good option.  Has never averaged below 11 yards per catch in his career in spite of playing for some bad quarterbacks and some game managers.  He's only 30. 

I'd like to add one of Decker/Maclin, but not Bryant.  We should be talking more about Decker and Maclin. 

Wouldn't be disappointed at all in adding Decker or Maclin. Would welcome either with open arms. My only problem with the Decker/Maclin/Bryant dilemma is this: 

If we can sign Decker or Maclin at $3 mil, I'd rather have Jordy at $5 mil 

If we can sign Bryant at $6 mil, I'd rather have him over Jordy at $5 mil

Based on the above,  in my opinion, if we sign Decker or Maclin, I'll always just ask the same question...."well why didn't we just keep Jordy for $5 mil?" 

Archived