Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

On 6/3/2018 at 11:07 AM, CWood21 said:

Last year, people were bitching and moaning about our RB position and look how that turned out.  Now, I'm not saying that we're going to have a repeat of that, but we've got people who are ready to throw out our young, promising WRs because they haven't shown anything.  I mean, I get wanting to feel comfortable with the position but as we've seen with Gute he's willing to go out and sign a FA to help shore out a position.  We just signed Byron Bell to help take care of our RT position given the uncertainty with Bryan Bulaga.  We signed Marcedes Lewis even after signing Jimmy Graham, because the Packers didn't really have an in-line blocking TE.  At this point, Gute deserves our trust.  If we get into camp and our young WRs look bad and Gute doesn't sign any WRs, we can bring this back up for discussion.  But we've got bigger needs than our #3 WR.

First, rookie RBs are night-and-day different than rookie WRs, you know this. Much much easier to have an impact as a rookie RB in this league. Second, no one is saying to "throw out" the younger guys. In fact, say we had kept Jordy and still drafted three Day 3 WRs. Would anyone be saying "we need to cut Jordy or Randall so that these young guys can get more opportunities right now..." Wouldn't happen. Adding a vet will have absolutely no impact on these young guys overall development except maybe ensure that the worst one out of the entire group doesn't make the team. 

I would also disagree with your apparent lack of concern about the WR3 position. That is a starter on this team more often than not in our offensive formations, not merely a depth player. 

I'd like it if some of you guy's take a stab at which recievers you think make the team and which you think get cut:

My six making the team:

1. Davante Adams

2. Randall Cobb

3. J'Mon Moore

4. Michael Clark

5. Equanimiouos St. Brown

6. Marquez Valdez-Scantlingldes-Scantling

Just now, cooters22 said:

I'd like it if some of you guy's take a stab at which recievers you think make the team and which you think get cut:

My six making the team:

1. Davante Adams

2. Randall Cobb

3. J'Mon Moore

4. Michael Clark

I thought about going with 5 receivers only because I think Ty Montgomery will be a RB but will still stay in tune at the WR position and I think Jimmy Graham could possibly allow this to allow this as well. Valdez-Scantling will make the team as a gunner/possible returner. I think they want Trevor Davis off this team and so do I. I think drafting J'Mon Moore seals Geronimo Allison's fate purely based off of speed. Michael Clark showed a little when given the chance late in the season and he had some phenominal catches. Anybody else want to take a stab at giving me your receivers that make the team?

2 hours ago, cooters22 said:

My six making the team:

1. Davante Adams

2. Randall Cobb

3. J'Mon Moore

4. Michael Clark

I wish this was the WR group case to their physical abilities, but I think Allison makes it and we only keep 6.

4 hours ago, cooters22 said:

My six making the team:

1. Davante Adams

2. Randall Cobb

3. J'Mon Moore

4. Michael Clark

Can't see this.  Unless Allison screws up again or unless we add a vet WR I see no chance that we keep a bunch of practice squad caliber prospects over the experienced Allison.  The failure rate of day 3 WRs is far too high for that sort of risk IMO.  The difference between this year's group of day 3 rookie WRs and last years isn't much and neither of those guys came anywhere close to making the roster.    

If we're going to keep 6, one of the rookies is going to have to beat out Davis as a return man.  Chances are pretty good that that doesn't occur and  we're going to be keeping just 2 of Moore, ESB, MVS, Clark and Yancey.  

4 hours ago, cooters22 said:

I thought about going with 5 receivers only because I think Ty Montgomery will be a RB but will still stay in tune at the WR position and I think Jimmy Graham could possibly allow this to allow this as well. Valdez-Scantling will make the team as a gunner/possible returner. I think they want Trevor Davis off this team and so do I. I think drafting J'Mon Moore seals Geronimo Allison's fate purely based off of speed. Michael Clark showed a little when given the chance late in the season and he had some phenominal catches. Anybody else want to take a stab at giving me your receivers that make the team?

I'm not an Allison fan but he's been beating out guys with speed every year he's been in the league.  If Moore is going to beat out Allison, he's going to have to be one of the quicker learning rookies that we've seen in a long long time given the vast difference between Green Bay and the Missouri offense he played in.  

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/multi-dimensional-wr-randall-cobb-still-a-vital-offensive-component-for-the-packers-104?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Cheesehead TV and Aaron Rodgers suggest Cobb is still a vital part of this offense:

"When he's healthy and playing for us, our offense is a lot different," Rodgers said on Monday after the Packers' final public OTA practice of the year. "I think we saw it a couple years ago against the Giants when he came off some injuries and a disappointing season filled with multiple injuries -- he had three touchdowns. Obviously, one was a Hail Mary but he had two other really nice plays for us in a big game.

"That's what he can do for us when he's out there."  "He's obviously a great friend of mine, but I look for a resurgence from him this year as long as he can stay healthy."

Since 2016, only Miami Dolphins receiver Albert Wilson has averaged more separation yardage (3.8) than Cobb (3.5), according to Next Gen Stats.

That's it.

Ignoring the personality issues for a second, Dez is actually an interesting skill-set to compliment our core. There is no way he was watching those two Devante fades in week 5, and not thinking "dang, I wish I could get balls like that again". He's not Julio, but he can still be elite IMO with an elite QB, preferably one with gawd like level accuracy and anticipation. Especially if Devante is soaking up doubles on the other side, Cobb is taking up the slot guy, and Graham is pushing the seam. Those four on the field would eat. Dez + Rodgers> Dez+Romo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dez + Prescott. 

1 hour ago, oldmansmell said:

Ignoring the personality issues for a second, Dez is actually an interesting skill-set to compliment our core. There is no way he was watching those two Devante fades in week 5, and not thinking "dang, I wish I could get balls like that again". He's not Julio, but he can still be elite IMO with an elite QB, preferably one with gawd like level accuracy and anticipation. Especially if Devante is soaking up doubles on the other side, Cobb is taking up the slot guy, and Graham is pushing the seam. Those four on the field would eat. Dez + Rodgers> Dez+Romo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dez + Prescott. 

NO!

10 hours ago, cooters22 said:

My six making the team:

1. Davante Adams

2. Randall Cobb

3. J'Mon Moore

4. Michael Clark

Clark is going to have to improve by leaps and bounds if he's going to make the team IMO. I know a lot of people liked him at the end of the year but I have no idea why. He was flat out terrible. 

For what its worth, ESB may be the least safe of the rookie receivers to make the PS. I know he ended up getting drafted late but if that really did come down to personal concerns, teams may be much more willing to try to grab him when they aren’t risking draft capital. 

1 hour ago, Cakeshoppe said:

For what its worth, ESB may be the least safe of the rookie receivers to make the PS. I know he ended up getting drafted late but if that really did come down to personal concerns, teams may be much more willing to try to grab him when they aren’t risking draft capital. 

I feel like the Packers drafted him just to guarantee a shot at seeing what he can do in camp. If he blows the doors off the place, we live with any character concerns. If he's just alright, we let him go and either watch him get claimed by another team or duke it out with our other young wideouts for a PS spot.

Archived