Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

Quantity begets Quality through competition.

I think I read somewhere that the Packers were setting up some sort of a quasi- football competition later this summer in Green Bay. Maybe late July ?

Can anybody confirm this ?

On 6/9/2018 at 1:00 PM, OneTwoSixFive said:

You could have said the same thing of Adams in his second year.........and where would the Packers be now, if they had dumped him (his second year was 13GP, 50 receptions 483 yds, 9.7 av). If a WR still cannot make a mark in their 3rd year though..........it's almost always time to cut bait.

While Adams may not have looked like a starter in year 2 he certainly showed that he was a capable NFL WR.  While I do recall fans wanting him replaced as a starter I don't recall many saying he's not worthy of a roster spot.  IMO the gap between Adams in year 2 and Davis in year 2 is large.  Davis has 8 career catches and has shown a general ineptness when it comes to playing football.  Personally I think his chances of making the roster is slim. 

Hopefully a rookie shows they can be at least a below average return man so we cut bait on him.  He's got no upside and keeping him will force us to cut a rookie WR.  

8 hours ago, SSG said:

While Adams may not have looked like a starter in year 2 he certainly showed that he was a capable NFL WR.  While I do recall fans wanting him replaced as a starter I don't recall many saying he's not worthy of a roster spot.  IMO the gap between Adams in year 2 and Davis in year 2 is large.  Davis has 8 career catches and has shown a general ineptness when it comes to playing football.  Personally I think his chances of making the roster is slim. 

Hopefully a rookie shows they can be at least a below average WR so we cut bait on him.  He's got no upside and keeping him will force us to cut a rookie WR.  

Couldn't say it better myself.  Although it would be nice if Davis broke out not seeing it.  Horrible returner and has done nothing as a receiver.  Maybe by some miracle the light goes on if he makes the 53 he'll have to earn it.

On 6/9/2018 at 1:00 PM, OneTwoSixFive said:

You could have said the same thing of Adams in his second year.........and where would the Packers be now, if they had dumped him (his second year was 13GP, 50 receptions 483 yds, 9.7 av). If a WR still cannot make a mark in their 3rd year though..........it's almost always time to cut bait.

Adams showed the fluidity needed to sell routes and move within the flow of the game. The only problem he had was focus drops. Davis is incredibly mechanical in his routes and it starts with his lack of fluidity when running routes. Sure, he's fast, but he looks rigid and cannot sell his routes with any sudden movements to confuse or shake the defender.

I'm low on Davis, but I'm not writing him off. That said, Adams was a 2nd-round pick who had 233 receptions in 2 college seasons. Davis was a 5th-round pick who had 109 receptions in 4 seasons. Davis has a long, long way to go before you can even compare him with struggling second-year Adams.

On 12/06/2018 at 9:37 PM, Joe said:

Adams showed the fluidity needed to sell routes and move within the flow of the game. The only problem he had was focus drops. Davis is incredibly mechanical in his routes and it starts with his lack of fluidity when running routes. Sure, he's fast, but he looks rigid and cannot sell his routes with any sudden movements to confuse or shake the defender.

Perhaps my example wasn't the best choice, but the point behind it remains. WRs often take a long time to understand the many nuances of NFL football and the multiple decisions that must be made as the route is run.

If the receiver has traits you can work with and is showing progress, that third year is often the breakout one. If they still can't cut it by the first few games of their third season though, they probably never will. To me, that is the cutoff for receivers with 'potential'.

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/06/14/davante-adams-likes-what-he-sees-in-packers-rookie-wr-jmon-moore/

D. Adams and WR coach David Raih talk about WR J'Mon Moore:

“Talk about God-given ability,” Adams said. “He has a lot of shiftiness to him. He’s a big dude. He’s like 6-3, big frame plus a lot of speed. As long as he picks everything up, he can do a lot to help us out.”

“He’s definitely a guy that grabs grass,” Raih said, explaining Moore’s speed and quickness. “He’s got stride length, he’s high cut, and he naturally just covers ground. The main thing is knowing what he’s doing, so he can use those abilities. But yeah, I’m excited about him.”

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/11/2018 at 8:12 PM, Scoremore said:

Couldn't say it better myself.  Although it would be nice if Davis broke out not seeing it.  Horrible returner and has done nothing as a receiver.  Maybe by some miracle the light goes on if he makes the 53 he'll have to earn it.

I wouldn't call him a horrible returner. He was third in the league in punt return average at 12.0 yards, including a big return against Cleveland that saved the game. He had some horrible decision-making though. He's the only returner I've ever seen field a punt in the end zone. Maybe with experience he won't make those bad decisions anymore, and he'll be worth keeping on the roster as a punt returner. They kept Janis for several years just because he was such a good gunner, so it's not out of the question. I agree that there's not much hope for Davis as a receiver though. 

I went back and watched combine, pro days, and some game film for all three rookies we drafted this year as well as Davis. Moore and ESB blow Davis away and MVS is slightly more fluid than Davis as well. The only way Davis makes his way onto the roster is as a RS IMHO. I just don't see a situation where he can be productive for us. He's demonstrated very little.

10 hours ago, Joe said:

I went back and watched combine, pro days, and some game film for all three rookies we drafted this year as well as Davis. Moore and ESB blow Davis away and MVS is slightly more fluid than Davis as well. The only way Davis makes his way onto the roster is as a RS IMHO. I just don't see a situation where he can be productive for us. He's demonstrated very little.

In shocking news, players playing against college competition look better than player playing against pro competition. More at 11

Archived