Jump to content
HorizontoZenith

Wide Receiver Outlook

Recommended Posts

Adams will draw attention on the open market.  His skill set would fit other offensive systems even better than ours.  Can't remember where I was reading that, but they contended that MMs winning one on one match ups doesn't suit Adams very well unless you get him the ball early.  That's something ARod doesn't do enough.  Maybe after ARods' injury he'll be more conducive to the quick slants and checking down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Adams will draw attention on the open market.  His skill set would fit other offensive systems even better than ours.  Can't remember where I was reading that, but they contended that MMs winning one on one match ups doesn't suit Adams very well unless you get him the ball early.  That's something ARod doesn't do enough.  Maybe after ARods' injury he'll be more conducive to the quick slants and checking down.

He would certainly fit another system a little better than ours... but there is no replacing Aaron Rodgers. There is something to be said for playing with that guy. That said, I have no complaints with how we utilize Adams. I think we do a great job getting him the ball in the right opportunities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ugLymayNe said:

tbh resign Davante, sign Sammy Watkins, and ride out the remainder of Jordy's/Cobbs contracts. The cap is going up and the Packers have more than enough space to spend big like that...and it also means they don't have to spend high draft picks to find weapons for #thecomeback

O.o  Cap is going up but allocating 50m+ to WRs is ludicrous, especially when you have 12

Edited by packerrfan74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, squire12 said:

So the more potential suitors leads to a potentially higher price.

Had Adams been extended 6 weeks ago, his price could have been lower.

That's true but what makes you think the Packers didn't approach him about it already? Some guys would rather risk balling out in a contract year and getting even more money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SassyFascistAlphaGuy said:

That's true but what makes you think the Packers didn't approach him about it already? Some guys would rather risk balling out in a contract year and getting even more money. 

No info that says otherwise.  Just that prices generally go up when young talented players are performing comparable to top tier players at their positions with poor QB play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, squire12 said:

No info that says otherwise.  Just that prices generally go up when young talented players are performing comparable to top tier players at their positions with poor QB play. 

No info says they didn't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NormSizedMidget said:

No info says they didn't?

I dont know if GB tried to extend Adams or not.  IMO, extending Adams during the 2017 season seemed like the most consistent GB way of handling their young players in the last year of the contract.  Able to prorate the signing bonus in the current year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I dont know if GB tried to extend Adams or not.  IMO, extending Adams during the 2017 season seemed like the most consistent GB way of handling their young players in the last year of the contract.  Able to prorate the signing bonus in the current year. 

Fair enough. I think it's just as likely, if not more, that Adams and his agent wanted to wait to maximize their end rather than just give GB a deal and GB being indifferent to saving money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Fair enough. I think it's just as likely, if not more, that Adams and his agent wanted to wait to maximize their end rather than just give GB a deal and GB being indifferent to saving money.

I agree as that is a distinct possibility.   Hence why I noted the price likely goes up as Adams puts up top tier performances with Hundley at QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I agree as that is a distinct possibility.   Hence why I noted the price likely goes up as Adams puts up top tier performances with Hundley at QB.

Yeah. I gotcha. He's certainly helping himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2017 at 11:58 PM, squire12 said:

So the more potential suitors leads to a potentially higher price.

Had Adams been extended 6 weeks ago, his price could have been lower.

Purely hypothetically, let's pretend that the 'future bidding war' in actuality will involve his value peaking at 14m-per. But Adams' current appraisal of himself leads him to believe the future bidding war will peak at 16m-per, so he decides he won't take lower than 15m-per on a pre-free-agency extension. Then the team would have to pay him 15m on an early extension when they could've gotten him at 14m by letting him test the open market. 

Now, I'm not saying the above is definitely the situation. There are some instances where the early extension would have saved a team money. Maybe even more than 50% of instances. But it's not a definite 100% thing. Players aren't robots and not every everone's appraisal of market situations is the same. I'm just illustrating what is possible, and that we do not have sufficient information to determine which course of action will save the team money in this individual situation.

Even if it would save them money, the question of "how much" is important. If you're only saving $10-20k per year, maybe that differential in price is worth the ability to wait until free agency to (A) make sure the guy's not going to get injured, or (B) more sample size on a guy or (C) give the opportunity for another young player to emerge as a possible replacement. Any number of scenarios can happen. If they are sacrificing something by waiting, exactly what quantity are they sacrificing, and which big move is it causing them to miss out on if they had that extra bit of quantity?

And how different is it signing an extension today vs. signing one 2 months from now? Either scenario is still before free agency and before a bidding war could occur. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

Purely hypothetically, let's pretend that the 'future bidding war' in actuality will involve his value peaking at 14m-per. But Adams' current appraisal of himself leads him to believe the future bidding war will peak at 16m-per, so he decides he won't take lower than 15m-per on a pre-free-agency extension. Then the team would have to pay him 15m on an early extension when they could've gotten him at 14m by letting him test the open market. 

Now, I'm not saying the above is definitely the situation. There are some instances where the early extension would have saved a team money. Maybe even more than 50% of instances. But it's not a definite 100% thing. Players aren't robots and not every everone's appraisal of market situations is the same. I'm just illustrating what is possible, and that we do not have sufficient information to determine which course of action will save the team money in this individual situation.

Even if it would save them money, the question of "how much" is important. If you're only saving $10-20k per year, maybe that differential in price is worth the ability to wait until free agency to (A) make sure the guy's not going to get injured, or (B) more sample size on a guy or (C) give the opportunity for another young player to emerge as a possible replacement. Any number of scenarios can happen. If they are sacrificing something by waiting, exactly what quantity are they sacrificing, and which big move is it causing them to miss out on if they had that extra bit of quantity?

And how different is it signing an extension today vs. signing one 2 months from now? Either scenario is still before free agency and before a bidding war could occur. 

 

Yeah it's tricky. You also have injury stuff. Ted will get killed if he signs him early and he blew a knee. Though that can happen whenever after too. Without knowing how any possible discussions have went it's just hard to know, more or less. 

Obliviously everyone is for getting him cheaper early. Is it possible? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the optimism (not shared by myself) surrounding this WR group heading into the season, Adams now seems to be the only WR on the roster with a bright future.  Were Adams to move on, that would have GB heading into 2018 with Jordy and Cobb as the starters, Allison at  WR3, and a group of players who probably don't even qualify as JAG's at the position.  Surely TT recognizes that as a terrible situation.  Much like Bak, I expect Adams to remain in GB on whatever the market ends up being for an <almost> elite player at his position.  I'm not expecting any home-town discount here from Adams.  For 2018, I expect a chunk of that salary to come from Cobb being released.  Even after Adams is signed, GB will need to target WR in the draft and/or the FA market.  Depending on Jordy beyond 2018 seems iffy.  Depending on Jordy beyond 2019 seems foolish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Cobb is cut, I'd be interested in looking at Jordan Matthews He could be a solid #2, to go along with a draft pick to groom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2017 at 1:49 PM, spilltray said:

If Cobb is cut, I'd be interested in looking at Jordan Matthews He could be a solid #2, to go along with a draft pick to groom.

I don't think Jordan Matthews is going to be an NFL receiver for much longer, but if his game would work anywhere, it might work here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×