Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Or far more likely you just don't like Davis, want the rookies to replace him, and therefore you report it as an observation that they're all superior prospects. 

That is my stance.  

Is it a coincidence that after he asked his girlfriend if she brought explosives on his Hawaii trip that a volcano erupted soon thereafter?  Trevor Davis ain't nothing but trouble!

4 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

We’d all feel so much better if 1-4 were settled and David was fighting for the 5 spot. Right now we are knit picking the returner because he is listed officially as a receiver and we have nothing dependable/proven behind Adams...

Splitting hairs, maybe, but Cobb is dependable/proven IMO. I'd rather we had a legit #2 bumping Cobb down to #3, but he's a lock to make the team and play a big role on offense. Otherwise I agree. The WR battle in TC/preseason is going to be really interesting to watch.

12 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

We’d all feel so much better if 1-4 were settled and David was fighting for the 5 spot. Right now we are knit picking the returner because he is listed officially as a receiver and we have nothing dependable/proven behind Adams...

I doubt that.  I am older than Jordy and shorter than Randall.  I don't offer much to an NFL team other than the ~100 dollars that I give them for merchandise each year, and the eyes watching their advertisements.  

2 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I doubt that.  I am older than Jordy and shorter than Randall.  I don't offer much to an NFL team other than the ~100 dollars that I give them for merchandise each year, and the eyes watching their advertisements.  

Well we got to pay for Rodgers’ deal somehow! Pinching pennies, going to save a few bucks, I heard the contract offer was going to be all you can eat nachos and a case of keystone

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Packers fans, I come in peace.

Is Jordy "done", or was he the victim of going from Rodgers to Hundley, or... both? If so, what did you see from him to suggest this.

In other words, what can we reasonably expect from him this year and beyond?

There is wide disagreement on this among Packer fans. I'm in the camp that thought he looked washed up last year. He had no speed, and when he caught the ball he often slid to the ground immediately. During the first five games, with Aaron Rodgers playing, Jordy had 19 catches for 230 yards, which is a 12.1 yard average, and 6 touchdowns. The TD total is impressive, but the other numbers are not. He had devolved into a short yardage and red zone target. 

With Brett Hundley at QB, Jordy was worse. A lot of that is Hundley's fault, as he tended to zero in on Davante Adams, who was clearly the better option at that point. Also, what production Jordy had left last year was largely due to his incredible chemistry with Aaron Rodgers. It will be interesting to see if Derek Carr can develop good chemistry with Jordy. Still, I see Jordy as a short yardage receiver at this point in his career. 

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Is Jordy "done", or was he the victim of going from Rodgers to Hundley, or... both? If so, what did you see from him to suggest this.

He is still a savvy player.  He is no longer the explosive threat that he was just a few seasons ago.  He didn't top 100 yards last season (high of 79 week 1) and utterly disappeared for Hundley (35 yards was his high mark).  Part of that has to be on Hundley, but don't just give Nelson a pass on that, he was far from spectacular when he did get the ball.  It wouldn't surprise me to see a good possession WR with a big game or two somewhere in the mix.  It would surprise me to see another 1000 yard season from him.

9 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I am of the opinion that he still has game left.  I believe he was a great acquisition for Oakland.

I am not a skilled talent evaluator, but I do spend time on game pass in order to get a sense of what happens with the wide receivers and the defensive backs.  It seemed to me that Hundley was basically a one read guy and he looked for Adams.  There were plays where Jordy would break wide open, sometimes wide open from the snap, and Hundley either didn't see him or wasn't able to get him the ball.  I would post examples here, but I haven't figured out how to upload video to this site. 

I think the Packers felt they needed to start the transition to a younger receiver group now since Cobb and Nelson's contracts were both ending and they knew it would take a couple of years to rebuild the group when combined with the teams other needs.

Nelson isn't what he was when he was younger when he could be the #1 guy, and beat top coverage on his skills alone, but he is still a savvy route runner.

Personally, if he stays healthy, I feel he has the potential to still put up a 1000 yds if he gets the targets.  With the other players Oakland has, I expect he will be in that 600 to 750 range, but will also make it easier on the other players since if the defense schemes to take them away, Jordy will have big games.

But keep in mind I am a big time homer and tend to have a lot of loyalty to my team's former heroes.

Thanks guys! I don't think we're expecting Jordy to be a #1 this year, and maybe not even a 2 because of Bryant, but I'm hopeful he can move the chains and help out in the redzone, plus bring a consistency in catching the football that our receivers have lacked over the past 3 years.

"His size, speed and a catchy first name made Allison a popular new addition with the Packers’ fan base, but it was his approach in the classroom that earned him respect among his teammates and coaches."

“G-Mo is one of the biggest students of the game in this locker room. He attacks it,” said Davante Adams early in the offseason program. “You talk about a pro, he’s on his way to being just like the Jordys in terms of how he carries himself.

“He’s the most attentive dude. Doesn’t say much, but he’s observant - he’s watching all the time and he picks up on things real well.”

On 7/7/2018 at 10:40 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

A little bit of both.  Obviously, Brett Hundley isn't Aaron Rodgers.  But Jordy Nelson has really lost a step, and he didn't have a ton of extra speed to begin with.  He's probably a solid #2 at best right now.

Archived