Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

Kind of where I’ve stood on the young wr’s, not going to need them to contribute much but they will have roles. I think Cobb is better than a lot are saying if he is healthy, something I think he was far from last year but I need to see that! He didn’t just lose his skills, there was something else last year. 

My biggest fear aside from injuries is that the McCarthy goes stale and predictable on play calling. The strength of the skills players this year is their positional flexibility, don’t waste it

18 hours ago, TheGreatZepp said:

My biggest fear aside from injuries is that the McCarthy goes stale and predictable on play calling. The strength of the skills players this year is their positional flexibility, don’t waste it

I'm at the other end of that... I'm very encouraged, with the return of Philbin, that the Packers offense will be unpredictable and multifaceted. 

My fav of the three is ESB.  Think he has the tools to be a really good receiver.  Hopefully a couple of these guys show enough so we don't have to burn a high round pick on a receiver next year.  Not expecting much from any of the three in their rookie seasons.  Think Moore will probably be starting on the boundary early on in the season.  Adams and Moore on the outside Cobb in the slot.  

13 hours ago, Scoremore said:

My fav of the three is ESB.  Think he has the tools to be a really good receiver.  Hopefully a couple of these guys show enough so we don't have to burn a high round pick on a receiver next year.  Not expecting much from any of the three in their rookie seasons.  Think Moore will probably be starting on the boundary early on in the season.  Adams and Moore on the outside Cobb in the slot.  

I think Moore is going to have to be an exceptionally smart and a fast learner if we're expecting him to start on the outside early this year.  While Allison isn't a great athlete he's a much better overall route runner than already knows the offense.  Moore was a 2  to 3 route WR in college who struggled at going over the middle.  He spent his entire college career on the boundary of one side of the field showing very little versatility.  Whether that was because of his short comings as a WR or because of the very basic Missouri passing game is yet to be known.    

I wouldn't at all be surprised if ESB was possibly their long term plan for the slot given that this is hopefully Cobb's last year in Green Bay.  ESB played some slot at ND and we all know how much AR12 likes to have size in the slot.  Our offense was at its best down the stretch in 2016 when Jordy was seeing more and more time from the position.  

From watching limited tape on the 3, I'd rank them Moore, Scantling, ESB.  I don't think Moore is the highest upside guy, but watching him play, he just fits the 2018 WR mold the most. He looks like he'll be able to get open on quick routes and get YAC with his explosiveness. 

I think ESB is kind of a stiff (big target though). Scantling is an intriguing project

14 hours ago, Greg C. said:

Do any of these new WRs have experience on special teams? If one of them could replace Janis as gunner, that could be a big factor in making the game day roster. 

3 career kick returns between the 3 of them.  They've also got 7 career tackles between the 3 of them.  If any of them came on ST, I'd bet it was only 3 of them as I've got my doubts that Moore would be playing on ST as a Junior and Senior as Missouri's leading receiver.  

If they had any ST experience it's very limited.  There is speculation that one of the reasons ESB fell was because of his refusal to play on ST.  

Moore has expressed interest in playing ST's and talked about his time doing so at Mizzou during one of his OTA interviews. MVS I'd expect to have the best shot at being the next Janis. ESB better excel at receiver or he might find himself on the PS.

Lots of things I agree with here. The more I think of it, the more I think J'Mon Moore is a slightly taller, faster version of Allison. He runs routes well and, more importantly, he gets open and works well in space. I think MVS can etch out a good WR3 role with this team as well. ESB is the one I'd worry about a bit, but he's not afraid to go over the middle and excelled on both a toss sweep and jet sweep. I suspect we will run the jet sweep with him regularly during the preseason.

On 7/16/2018 at 11:35 PM, TheGreatZepp said:

Kind of where I’ve stood on the young wr’s, not going to need them to contribute much but they will have roles. I think Cobb is better than a lot are saying if he is healthy, something I think he was far from last year but I need to see that! He didn’t just lose his skills, there was something else last year. 

The Packers have Adams, Cobb and Graham as proven veterans, so if one of those 3 go down a huge burden gets put on the young WR's. I like what they have done but don't ever assume they won't need a couple of these young WR's to step up this year.

Only one of the top 4 receivers this year is a deep threat, and Davis has yet to prove that he can consistently take the top off of a defense with pads on.  The utter lack of speed has hindered this offense ever since Jennings left.  About that same time Cobb and Jordy both lost a step or two.  

My biggest concern for the offense this year is that teams will sit in cover-2 with tight man coverage underneath.  Safety help will key in on 17 and 80.  That leaves 81 and 18 to beat man coverage for explosive plays.  Neither are explosive players.  

This offense desperately needs another receiver opposite Adams to play that #2 role well.  The three rookies are the only ones that have the physical tools to be dangerous and we all know that both 12 and MM simply don't trust young players.  

The offense should still be a top 10 offense with a balanced running game, but it is going to rely on moving the sticks in order to score.  

Archived