Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

Check out @49ers’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/49ers/status/1025514146790559744?s=09.

1 - this is why Rodgers would probably sign James Jones today if he were GM - much less never get rid of Jordy.  

2 - this is also why a 26 year old receiver is getting reps with the 1's over more athletically gifted rookies.  He's been there, adjusted to that already.

3 - if I'm GM, I listen to this and I get it.  Give 12 some guys that he trusts, but also find a way to carry some young receivers on the roster so they can step up next year when they have had some time to adjust.  

4 - why can't all coaches speak open and honestly? Props to Kyle Shanahan.  That was great.

5 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Check out @49ers’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/49ers/status/1025514146790559744?s=09.

1 - this is why Rodgers would probably sign James Jones today if he were GM - much less never get rid of Jordy.  

2 - this is also why a 26 year old receiver is getting reps with the 1's over more athletically gifted rookies.  He's been there, adjusted to that already.

3 - if I'm GM, I listen to this and I get it.  Give 12 some guys that he trusts, but also find a way to carry some young receivers on the roster so they can step up next year when they have had some time to adjust.  

4 - why can't all coaches speak open and honestly? Props to Kyle Shanahan.  That was great.

I've been really, really impressed with Shanahan.  Kind of jealous of teams like LAR and SF as they've got young, ingenious offensive coaches that don't require all world QB play to put a great offensive product on the field.  McCarthy is way too stubborn and full of himself IMO.  He's a good coach but he's not a great coach which is a reason he's played in just one Super Bowl despite never starting a season without a first ballot HOF QB.  

https://theathletic.com/452124/2018/07/31/meet-the-rookie-who-has-redrawn-the-packers-playbook-three-times-since-april-and-worked-out-with-randy-moss/

Not sure if this was linked previously, but MVS article by Cohen a couple of days ago.  Athletic articles are for pay, but for me as a baseball fan I've found it really a treat.  Athletic stuff is often considerably longer and more in-depth.

4 hours ago, Cheech said:

Am I huge ****** for not being blown away by this like all the tweet replies lol

8 hours ago, craig said:

https://theathletic.com/452124/2018/07/31/meet-the-rookie-who-has-redrawn-the-packers-playbook-three-times-since-april-and-worked-out-with-randy-moss/

Not sure if this was linked previously, but MVS article by Cohen a couple of days ago.  Athletic articles are for pay, but for me as a baseball fan I've found it really a treat.  Athletic stuff is often considerably longer and more in-depth.

They had terrible coverage of the Packers until a few weeks ago when they hired Michael Cohen.  He's not real popular here, but so far he seems to be doing a nice job with info and podcasts on The Athletic.  

**oops, just noticed that you did mention Cohen .. not sure how I missed that the first time.

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Hot take alert:

Aaron Rodgers has had better receiving targets in his career than Brett Favre had in any year since 1996. 

Prove me wrong. 

Whatever year Jordy went down was bad.  Other than that, yeah, 12 has had much better perimeter weapons.

Favre had a much better line and running game, though.

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This statement is about as hot as a pool in April in WI.

Thought it might be considered a hot take with the Rodgers cult 'round these parts.  All this talk of us having nobody past Cobb made me wonder if Favre ever had as much talent as Graham, Adams and Cobb in one season.  

Just reflecting.  Favre had nothing at TE past 96/97.

15 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Whatever year Jordy went down was bad.  Other than that, yeah, 12 has had much better perimeter weapons.

Favre had a much better line and running game, though.

2015.  That season showed us just how valuable speed was on the outside.  

Thompson had his issues as a GM, keeping talent at WR around AR12 wasn't one of those issues.  Outside of Murphy, whom we lost to injury before his rookie season, he was damn near 85% when he drafted a WR in the top half of the draft (5 out of 6).  The only miss was Monty, who is kinda in a land with no defined position or role.  The lower half of the draft was a different story though as he struck out on every one of his selections (all 11).  

I'm an optimist, but I'd like to imagine Montgomery being a better blocker this year, being his 2nd camp as a back.  

Think Montgomery may have an effective year, **IF** he can stay healthy.  Caught 27 passes, with only 5 starts.  And while his 3.8 ypg average was down, they had some real o-line issues during some of the games he did start, and he was playing hurt for some of them.  

Not impossible that with a stronger line, better health, and being another year more polished and experienced, whether he might not be pretty effective. 

Not a receiver, so I guess this is the wrong thread; but his volume of catches and passing yards has a good shot to be ahead of anybody except Graham and the top three WR.  

Archived