Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

Just now, Cheech said:

If Monty had remained healthy in his first 3 years would Cobb be out of a job?

My gut says yes.  I dont think they move him to RB and I'd bet he would have been pushing for a lot of those slot snaps.  

I'm still a little lost about where Monty ever have so much confidence he could play receiver. He didn't do a ton when he played. He was young, got hurt, but it's not like there's a real history yeah?

2 hours ago, Cheech said:

My gut says yes.  I dont think they move him to RB and I'd bet he would have been pushing for a lot of those slot snaps.  

My guess is no.  Montgomery never really took to either position.  Didn't seem natural at WR and couldn't stay healthy at RB enough to take advantage of the opening.  Still think his future is more as a swing RB/WR, but I'm not sure how much of a market there will be for that.

3 hours ago, Cheech said:

MVS a lock?  Much needed size and speed for the position. 

I don't want to say he's a lock, but it's definitely trending in the right direction for him.  Unlike ESB, he offers ST value which is going to be huge when you're getting into the backend of the roster.

Has MVS gotten any looks as return guy?  Don't imagine he's the shifty make-you-miss guy, and I'm not sure if he's got the hands; but with that speed and size, he's kinda interesting, like Janis was for a while.  

Certainly he seems to have enough sizzle and big-play potential that I wouldn't want to have to cut him. 

Just seeing a couple of clips from Saturday, it's a reminder of how those long guys don't have to be very "open" to be effectively open-enough-to-function.  Even if a defender is right on their back, the reach and extension still gives Rodgers spaces to throw to.  

18 hours ago, Cheech said:

I would rephrase the question and say that he would've bumped Cobb out of the picture. Whether Cobb would've been traded or cut would be the question and I suspect we would've traded him. During his rookie year Monty was more explosive on the jet-sweep plays we had run with Cobb the previous year and his field vision with the ball was spectacular. Problem, obviously, is that the sample size is really too small to say one way or the other. Monty was drafted to be more of a ST's player and a WR4 behind Cobb; especially when we were passing to set up the run. Methinks the shoe will be on the other foot going forward as our RB-by-committee seems very strong while we have ?'s at WR; mainly with Cobb and the rookies. The big question at WR is how do we manage what we have? We know that Adams is our true WR1, no doubt about that; but where do Cobb and Allison fall? We can assume WR2 and WR3 in that order, but Cobb isn't what he used to be despite being in his prime, and Allison has always been up-n-down. I seriously think one of the three rookies breaks out at some point within the next two years.

18 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I don't want to say he's a lock, but it's definitely trending in the right direction for him.  Unlike ESB, he offers ST value which is going to be huge when you're getting into the backend of the roster.

How does a 6'5 220 guy that runs a 4.45 and benched 20 reps not have value on ST? If anything that's the ideal body you're looking for out there.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

How does a 6'5 220 guy that runs a 4.45 and benched 20 reps not have value on ST? If anything that's the ideal body you're looking for out there.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think ESB has shown any willingness to play on ST

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think ESB has shown any willingness to play on ST

He's been on ST in every practice so far so yes that is incorrect. College EQ is not NFL EQ. The guy speaks like 15 languages, he's pretty bright, think he understands that 6th round picks need to play ST to make it in the NFL.

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's been on ST in every practice so far so yes that is incorrect. College EQ is not NFL EQ. The guy speaks like 15 languages, he's pretty bright, think he understands that 6th round picks need to play ST to make it in the NFL.

Thank-you for that.
Feels like we've dissected this guy like a frog.
Cant wait to see him run and catch passes.

12 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

0597c190-f981-49c9-8061-82fca78fe1e8-38_

ESB vs Herb Waters

Ya know......this is based on a whole lot of nothing......but you think it might be time to swap Rollins with Waters?
I'm skeptical of post injury Rollins at the boundary and dont think he stacks up well against the Safeties........and could it be possible that Waters remains uninjured and has picked up the CB position? Seems like we've been hearing about Waters for years. Be nice if he's a dream that actually comes true.

Would be pretty cool if Waters emerges as a good, athletic player.  

Would be pretty cool if the secondary was just packed with good, athletic young players.  

MM says he likes the corners and says he likes the safeties.  Hope he's right.  

Archived