Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It's too much to type.  I guess spelling isn't difficult, but it's too much to type, there's a hyphen in it, and nobody can even take the time here to type out the shorter hyphenated name.  

Just call him Exxon Valdez

50 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I just really don't like his spelling or the number 83.  I wish he had a better name and a better number. 

Then make up some nicknames which might catch on. Here are some I've seen

MVS = Marquez Valdes-Scantling = Most Valuable Spelling!

Eq = Equanimeous St. Brown

G-Mo = Geronimo Allison

Kum = Jake Kumerow

2 hours ago, craig said:

Kumerow might be competing for spot, but it might not be all on him.  He might also be looking for somebody other than Davis to emerge as a return guy.  Keeping 7 WR might not be that tough; but if it's 7 WR plus Davis besides, that might be a little harder.  (Although even that isn't at all impossible.)  

I'd put like a 1% chance we carry 7 WRs.  It'll be 6, maybe even only 5.

15 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I get Yancey probably isn't making the team but he appears to be the only guy who can run the Cobb routes. I know they cross train every WR but still Cobb runs routes that the other WRs don't run nearly as much. Does that give him an edge? If Cobb gets hurt, who do we put in the slot? G-Mo? 

MM alluded to playing Adams in the slot some this year, not unlike they did with Nelson in the past. It was part of his discussion on the offensive changes for 2018

13 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

MM alluded to playing Adams in the slot some this year, not unlike they did with Nelson in the past. It was part of his discussion on the offensive changes for 2018

Yeah makes sense but I should have been more clear. It's not that Nelson or Adams can't run the routes that Cobb does or that they never do, but they have a different skill set/body type, and they typically run different routes, more often, in order to maximize their skill set in the slot. I just look at the roster and Cobb is the only WR with his skill set. Yancey & Ty are the closest. I wonder if that will play into roster decisions or if it doesn't matter at all. 

1 minute ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Yeah makes sense but I should have been more clear. It's not that Nelson or Adams can't run the routes that Cobb does or that they never do, but they have a different skill set/body type, and they typically run different routes, more often, in order to maximize their skill set in the slot. I just look at the roster and Cobb is the only WR with his skill set. Yancey & Ty are the closest. I wonder if that will play into roster decisions or if it doesn't matter at all. 

Ty in the slot is intriguing. 

55 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd put like a 1% chance we carry 7 WRs.  It'll be 6, maybe even only 5.

If everyone stays healthy, I'd be willing to bet it's 6 or 7 (most likely 6, but if there was any year to go to 7, this would be the year).

3 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

I get Yancey probably isn't making the team but he appears to be the only guy who can run the Cobb routes. I know they cross train every WR but still Cobb runs routes that the other WRs don't run nearly as much. Does that give him an edge? If Cobb gets hurt, who do we put in the slot? G-Mo? 

Monty

One of the plays last night at WR that I'm most excited about was the catch and run by EQ in the 4th quarter.  He had the awareness to stop once he caught the ball and the fluidity to spin and run the other way.  That wiggle and fluidity after the catch was something that made guys like Jordy and Greg Jennings great receivers.  

On the other hand, there were a handful of plays where EQ seems to just go through the motions.  MVS seems to have way more drive than EQ.  

Also, twice I've heard MM say how pleased he is with the rookie receiver's ability to get off of the ball.  This is something that Davis really struggles with and one of the main reasons he doesn't see the field more.  

6 hours ago, mikebpackfan said:

People keep calling MVS “big”. He looked pretty average-sized to me on both his TD catch and his non-TD catch. Are the Titans CBs monsters, are my eyes deceiving me, or is “everyone” exaggerating?

6'4" 205 qualifies as a big WR for me

Archived